Vector Marketing "friends and family" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Vector Marketing Employee Reviews about "friends and family"

Updated 26 Feb 2020

4.5
Vector Marketing President Bruce Goodman and Albert DiLeonardo (no image)
Bruce Goodman and Albert DiLeonardo
1,759 Ratings
Pros
Cons
  • "They ask you to start with your friends and family first when selling(in 184 reviews)

• "There is no cons working for cutco(in 90 reviews)

Reviews about "friends and family"

Return to all Reviews

"Vacuum sales scam with knives"

I worked at Vector Marketing

Pros

Not really any to mention

Cons

The hours spent equates to under minimum wage after every successful sale. The reason these companies survive is because they get enough bodies in the door to sell to their friends and family. Any company that tells you to sell to those you know first, for any reason, you should walk away from.

Vector Marketing2020-02-26
  2. "Interesting"

Former Contractor - Sales Representative in San Jose, CA

I worked at Vector Marketing for less than a year

Pros

Great training programs, friendly employees.

Cons

They try and make you sell to family and friends.

Vector Marketing2020-02-05
  3. "Not worth it"

Former Freelancer - Sales Associate

I worked at Vector Marketing for less than a year

Pros

Set your own hours Opportunities to get free stuff Classes offered to help improve efficiency/work experience

Cons

Finding recommendations! This is NOT as easy as they make it sound! Pressure to sell stuff to friends and family Overall, more work than the pay is worth unless you're a really good salesperson

Vector Marketing2020-02-04
  4. "An MLM with a good product, but an MLM nonetheless"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Vector Marketing part-time

Pros

The product is really high quality and the margins are ridiculous so it seems like everyone gets paid. Aggressive attempts to integrate those who have early success in the hierarchy.

Cons

Aggressive attempts to integrate those who have early success in the hierarchy. Target students and younger adults to secure quick early sales to family and friends.

Vector Marketing2020-01-18
  5. "An Honest and Fair Review"

Former Employee - Field Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Vector Marketing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Vector Marketing is actually a pretty decent first job. It forces you to get out of your comfort zone. It is also a pretty good sales job. There is a manual for "how to sell" which is pretty good. The company has spent time to make a script so almost anybody can try a sales job and be somewhat decent at it. It teaches basics around responsibility, timeliness, and how to make small talk with random people.

Cons

The business model is really meant for high school kids to come in, sell to as many in their network as possible at the lowest commission rates, and then leave. They ask you to start with your friends and family first when selling. They are the most likely to buy from you, however, when you are first starting you are at the lowest commission rates. Their business model exploits this. Also, feels a lot like a cult/MLM though it isn't really either of those things.

Vector Marketing2020-01-07
  6. "Great for allowing flexible scheduling and income potential but not easy"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Vector Marketing part-time for less than a year

Pros

-flexible schedule though they expect at least an average of 1 appointment per day and one sale per week -nice managers team and very small training group -lot of income potential

Cons

-Very hard to sell over $1k sets to the ppl I know, we buy cheap kitchen knives costing a few bucks and they have lasted us for years -they always assure you that you will get 10 recommendations per appointment and average of $360 per appointment which is just not true for everyone -the only customers you have are the people you know. So you have to contact them and basically ask them to help you out with your job. They really pressure you to call everyone you know and get them to buy the knives. Of course the managers say that it's no problem if you don't make any sales because of the $20/appt base pay but they again expect you to make the average of $360 a appointment from people you know -it just feels like I'm using my friends and family to make money off them -people I know and presented to have mainly bought knives from me out of pity or social pressure. It just doesn't feel morally right to meet my friends parents for the first time and the first impression is that I'm going to sell them stuff.

Vector Marketing2020-01-06
  7. "Eh"

Former Employee - IDK in Lansing, MI
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Vector Marketing part-time for less than a year

Pros

This job is great if you are a young college kid with middle class/wealthy family.

Cons

If you are in your 20's and come from a low income background and have actual bills to pay you will go nowhere fast here. Since you start with friends and family if most of the people you know are barely able to pay for Rent and other bills buying expensive knives is the least of their worries.

Vector Marketing2020-01-03
  8. "Predatory Pyramid Scheme"

Former Employee - Office Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Vector Marketing full-time for less than a year

Pros

None!! They are con artists who take advantage of high school students. (Mind you, I was a 20-year-old junior in college, but still very naive.)

Cons

When I started, I was told I could get 3% of office income, or $10 an hour. I knew I would be putting in a lot of time, and didn't trust in the immediate success of the office since it was just opening, so I asked for the hourly pay. I was told I would be an office manager and that I wouldn't have to do any calling or selling. I agreed because of this. After I witnessed the lies my boss was telling to get into schools graduations, I started to get more suspicious. He would sneak in the back door and force me to go with him. He would interrupt new graduates celebrating with their families just to give them a pamphlet and encourage them to come in for an interview. The interviews were just as unprofessional as everything else about the company. At best, just awkward and all about finesse (not in a good way). EVERYTHING was scripted and we could not stray from the script. Interviews, training, workshops, phone calls... all of it was scripted down to pauses and facial expression. Why would people talk to friends and family from a script?! It's all a scam. My boss told me how to wear my hair, that my blazer made me look like a stripper, and even made a comment about my bra one day. Then after maybe a week I was told I would have to start selling. I didn't want to (especially because I was told that I wouldn't have to - which is why I took the job), but I was told I had to even though it wasn't in the job description. My boss told me that I should cut negative people out of my life just like he did to his father when I told him my parents didn't like that I worked there (they knew it was a scamming pyramid scheme). I normally wouldn't share this with a coworker and especially not an employer, but he was just disgusting. So on my tenth day I walked out. I never saw a dollar from the office and my boss pretends he never said anything about hourly pay. And of course, the office never made a single dime while I was working 9 hours a day for 10 days. I'm dumb for falling for it, but honestly I thought that I could out scam these scammers by taking hourly pay. The office was disgustingly dirty and we just put up posters on the walls to cover stains and holes. My boss would try to sell an interviewee like the army does.. you know like look at these vacations we get to go on and how great my life is without a college degree. Why they would believe him when the office looked like that is beyond me.. and pretty sure he was living between his car and his friend's college dorm room based on what I saw.

Vector Marketing2020-01-16
  9. "Fine side gig"

Former Contractor - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Vector Marketing

Pros

Easy schedule, few rules, very independent

Cons

Selling to friends and family is uncomfortable, and you're unlikely to make much money.

Vector Marketing2019-11-12
  10. "Try it! Changed my life for the better"

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Vector Marketing part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Entrepreneurial spirit -Potential to make a lot of money -Teaches self-discipline and time-management -Management is encouraging -Develop interpersonal skills -Have fun talking to people and building connections

Cons

-Exploits close friends and family- however I cannot say this completely because at the end of the day, the cutlery may be expensive but they are great products -Say that there are no taxes but there are and they will come back to haunt you way after you're done working there for the summer

Vector Marketing2019-09-06