VinSolutions Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Jan 11, 2021

Found 8 of over 227 reviews

4.5
VinSolutions VP of Operations Tracy Fred
Tracy Fred
Pros
  • "Great benefits, great pay, great environment(in 23 reviews)

• "VinSolutions provides a fun, competitive work environment where high performers are rewarded with high compensation(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Vin needs to be better about managing bad hires out of the organization(in 9 reviews)

• "Upper Management doesn't level with employees about uncomfortable changes in the pipeline(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Great place to work

Jan 11, 2021 - Product Trainer II
      Business Outlook

Pros

They fulfill their side of the deal. You know what is expected of you, if you do a good job, they take care of you in return. Also, great spirit of teamwork in this place.

Cons

The new standards for promotion have become tediously laborious and overly rigid. It is pretty clear that upper management wanted to employ the same skill levels but pay less for it overall.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Vice President & General Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Like you, I also appreciate the benefits and rewards Cox provides our Team Members, and I believe these are a reflection of the way the Cox family values our Team Members. Cox invests heavily in Team Member’s development and part of this is the work to ensure the path to promotion is clear, consistent and fair. One of the primary initiatives has been to establish Career Architecture, which does provide a structure/framework for the promotion process. I suppose you’re right that it is more rigid than how we have done things in the past, but the upside of this is there’s a clear path to promotion, which gives Team Members more control in understanding how to advance themselves along the path. Thank you again for your feedback and I wish you success with your future career ventures.

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

SE II

Sep 18, 2020 - Software Engineer II in Prairie Village, Butler, KS, Optional[KS]
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture. Treats thier employees very well.

Cons

Unecessary Politics. Upper Management doesn't level with employees about uncomfortable changes in the pipeline

Be the first to find this review helpful

Vice President & General Manager

Thank you for taking the time to submit feedback. I am glad to hear that you have been happy with the culture and the way we treat our team members! Regarding your feedback about politics, I really hate office politics! We encourage all of our employees to lay politics aside and strive to maintain open and honest dialog always. This isn’t always easy, of course, but I am committed to continuing to promote this value with our leadership team and hope our team members will do the same with their leaders, peers and direct reports. Thank you again for the feedback!

3. The latest conversations about Tech India

Join the conversation on

Tech India

6.1K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/tech-india/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.in&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-integrated-Reviews&utm_term=VinSolutions~416562
      Join the conversation on
    4. 3.0
      Current Employee

Rollercoaster

Jun 24, 2015 - Individual Contributor in Abingdon, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people. There is a sense of family at this company that has stayed strong even as we've doubled our numbers in a very short period of time. The dress code: clean, covered and appropriate. That's it. Anything goes. The benefits we receive from Cox Automotive are better than just about any benefits package I've ever seen. Stick around and you can retire with a pension and a strong 401(k). Medical, dental, vision, life insurance-- they're all affordable and you have a variety of options when selecting your coverages. In the last few years they've implemented a bonus plan that would be even better if the checks came in December instead of February... Great opportunity for growth IF you take control. There are a ton of professional development opportunities available but you have to take full responsibility for seeking out the information and taking advantage of it. Management will not follow through unless you hound them. It's a fun environment. You'll always hear people laughing and talking while they're working and, in a high stress environment like this, that makes all the difference.

Cons

Those were the ups, but this place really is a roller coaster ride from Hell. One day you feel like you're a rockstar at your job, the next you are made to feel like you're an absolute moron, unworthy of being heard. Other reviewers mentioned the Girls' Club. I guess you could call it that, we do have a tremendous number of women in upper management, but the men are just as dominant as the women around this place. It's also true that we are top heavy here at VinSolutions. Leads, supervisors, managers, senior managers, directors, senior directors, vice presidents... there's more middle management in this joint than seems sane. They spend a lot of time in meetings talking about the last meeting (trust me, I've been in these meetings and they make me want to die) and then deciding that all the decisions that were made in the last meeting (or the meeting before) are going to be undone and we're going to try something new. There's no follow through on the good ideas and the bad ideas just keep floating to the top (not like cream...). Because we don't have current and accurate email distribution lists, most people have no idea what's going on or why. We implement processes and then change them before they've even had a chance to catch on; heck, most of the time people don't even know that the process changes they're hearing about are actually changes to the changes that were changed. It's insanity at it's finest. If you have been hired on in the last year or so, you're probably making pretty good money. However, the movement to bring more tenured employees up to parity is only happening rarely. You can be offered a promotion to a management level, but if your current salary is "old school," then you're going to be taking on more responsibilities for pennies on the dollar. I'm talking MAYBE a 5-7% increase, 10% if you're lucky. Sounds great, right? Well, keep in mind that 10% of nothing is still nothing. The discrepancy between department pay scales is astounding and I'm still trying to figure out why the people who SUPPORT our customers and who MANAGE those relationships are the lowest paid, most poorly treated team members in the company. I think we could really get a good "We are the 99%" sit-in going here at VinSolutions if anyone had time to pull it together. But no, we're all frantically trying to keep up with the ever changing processes, fickle and inexperienced leadership and the revolving door of employee churn. You can absolutely change departments here at VinSolutions, but you'll be expected to keep doing your old job while learning to do your new job until your position is back filled OR all your accounts are settled. It's hard to move to a new team and get settled in your new job when you're still doing your old job. Once you've moved to the new team, it's also hard to keep doing your old job because you're no longer in the loop and have no clue what changes are taking place. If management understood forecasting, if they understood their people, I think it would be easier to master transitions. Overall I really do love this place, even if it may not sound like it. However, it really is a cluster most of the time and I think the laughter you hear is just masking the angst and frustration we all seem to be feeling.

3 people found this review helpful

VP & GM

Thank you so much for your frank feedback. I’m so sorry you are having a less than satisfactory experience here at VinSolutions. I can assure you that each of our team members is appreciated and valued. I agree with your comments about training. In fact, Sam Passer has been making some great changes to our internal training team, and we should be able to see the benefit of that here soon. In response to bringing back the lunches with the VP, I have been hosting round tables in which I choose team members at random to provide their feedback and concerns. I’ve been doing this the whole time I’ve been at Vin. It connects me to the ideas of our front line employees. If you have not had the opportunity to participate, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly or follow up with Jenna VanTuyl. Thanks for all you do to make VinSolutions successful.

5. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Not as bad comparatively, but not as good as upper management wants you to think.

Jun 17, 2015 - Websites in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are some great people that work here; very enjoyable to work with and be around all day. The benefits are RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME! That is, of course, due to the company being owned by Cox, but still...A+ Generous amount of PTO given to all full-time employees. Facilities are clean and modern. Now, below are many cons that I have laid out, but I will say that VinSolutions is BY FAR, not the worst company I have worked for, and all-in-all is a pretty good place to work. You just have to live with some of the following as compensations.

Cons

So I see that a lot of previous reviews are either short "I HEART VIN" posts or "This company now sucks!!!" posts; my honest opinion is somewhere in-between these two polar views, and here's why. I agree with the overall idea that upper management is largely impotent. There are always big, sunny ideas presented and rah-rah talk about how great our product is, how so-and-so's team are rockstars and so on, but it's all fluff. The most popular "Solutions" are to bring in someone form outside the company who has a connection to someone high in the tree and let them run free bringing in anyone they used to work with or pick from (what seems to be) the pre-determined sub group of "acceptable" employees (which is really nothing more than the "favorites club"). And like was mentioned before, yes, a few days ago everyone got an email out of nowhere that said to come on Glass Door and "give your company a Great review." First class Bush League stuff right there. The product could truly be great, I honestly believe that, but is stuck in a cycle of not really listening to our users (which is how the CRM was first built, coincidentally) and taking WAYYYYYY too long to make any creative changes. This is the same critique for both the CRM and Websites. The fact that we are just now converting some of our customers to a responsive website platform is laughable (seriously, it's midway through 2015) and the persistent issues that are still happening with that platform on what seems to be a daily basis are equally a joke. I will say that Desking 3.0 was the truly last significant product release for VinSolutions as it was actually a completely new piece, with a modern UI and functionality. It's a shame the CRM falls behind. The biggest lesson I can pas along from almost three years at VinSoutions is that if you bust your tail and do your job batter than all or most all others in your department...YOU GET TO STAY THERE. Congratulations!!! If you do mostly good work, but bond with anyone higher than your Supervisors and direct Managers, than you get quicker promotions and higher salaries than the rest of us: "Go ahead and take a two hour lunch and a half-day Friday. You deserve it." Overall, the talk is not backed up with corresponding action: the CRM is told to be the top-of-the-line, but really it's maybe a little ahead, if that, of industry standard. The new website platform is sold as the next greatest web innovation, but it's not. It's not even the best dealer website platform out there. We brag about how we build and upgrade out products based on what the customers recommend and suggest, but really, those who have been here the longest in DEV and Product get to dictate what gets done and how. Every higher-up in the company will harp that "...what separates us from everyone else in the industry is our superior support." I have witnessed how support works and know how they are treated. The truth is that nobody works harder for less pay than those answering the phones in support. What is probably the most disturbing thing is that when things really hit the fan, all those from the aforementioned "favorites club" point fingers at support, at PMs, and at WAMs and when things are running smooth, well that's when these ladder-climbers grab that credit and get some sort of "award." And, finally, there is the Vin pay gap. If you aren't in this favorites club, you may make an average pay for your position. Those in sales and developers make much more than the other departments, but that is pretty standard across companies, so no big surprise there, but if you take them out of the equation, there are defiantly the haves and have-nots. And if you do work in support, you're lucky to make half that of what other departments make.

5 people found this review helpful

VP & GM

Thank you so much for your feedback. You have taken a lot of time to offer us your thoughts and we truly appreciate it. You have provided some very specific concerns and if you’re comfortable to do so, I would encourage you to talk with me, your manager, or our HR team. Our doors are always open. There are a few topics you’ve brought up that I’d like to address personally. In response to our ask for Glassdoor reviews, I asked for constructive feedback on some of the best reasons about working here and some of the areas that our team feels is in need of improvement. We feel like Glassdoor is a great platform to get our teams’ voices heard in the most honest way possible. It also sounds like you have felt there has been some favoritism taking place among the teams. I personally am truly sorry that you believe promotions aren’t being awarded based on merit. Our team members are able to see open positions through our careers website, however, we will be looking at ways to more proactively communicate these openings internally. With an ever changing market, we do experience setbacks when it comes to innovation. While we try to keep ahead of the pack, we appreciate all the hard work and feedback from our team members to ensure that your ideas and the ideas of consumers are heard and addressed. Also I’d like to address your concerns around pay. Each year we actively participate in market pricing our positions to ensure we are paying competively with the market. Finallh your concerns about the morale in support, I’m planning on actively addressing this with the support management. Thank you so much again for your feedback and I am looking forward to changing your perspective in the future.

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not Disgruntled but disappointed...

Jun 15, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers...that is about it. Pre-Autotrader, it was the best place to work.

Cons

Management doesn't fight for their employees. Even if they have a tenured person employed, they would rather get rid of that employee then compensate them the same as new hire employees or move them to another department. They also don't work with employees to figure out a career path. Overall, I'm really disappointed with how upper management treats their employees, the cliques created to have teams of favorites and not people with intelligence. There are so many people who amazing talent at this company and never get recognized. Truly is unfortunate. VinSolutions could have succeeded post ATG but I don't see how it can anymore.

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

No diversity, and way too much change in upper management.

Apr 5, 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Sometimes the work can be fun, and challenging. Agile methodology is kind of starting, but they don't really know what it means yet, and they do it poorly. Web team seems to be doing a tiny bit better, but lots of turnover and the work space is horrible.

Cons

Disorganized, upper management changes with the seasons, they don't value long term employees, a lot of great developers left because they get new people in, management listens to these new people first, and then the seasoned dev team gets treated poorly, but that is what you get when upper management changes this much. Very much a male driven company, not a lot of gender equality going on.

4 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Decent company but no long term potential

Aug 4, 2014 - Trainer in Overland Park, KS
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay plans, part of Cox media with great benefits/vacation/401k. Lots of community involvement activities. Possibility of having the best product in the market.

Cons

Upper management is inexperienced in this field and has held the company back from its true potential. Lack of progress by the development team and no accountability when things don't get done. Promises are made to customers but not delivered and people in lower level positions are left having to answer for it.

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Very Disappointing Company

Jul 1, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
      Business Outlook

Pros

Laid back dress code, compensation and benefits, PTO

Cons

Unstable, poor management, poor leadership, people jumping ship, and immature co-workers. Company is full of drama, even if you want to be happy there you can't, because of all the negative energy and low morale with other employees. Everywhere you turn you will find someone complaining about how much they hate the company. During townhall meetings employees are on straight attack mode with upper-management. Company is very unstable. They use an open source CRM that's not able to deliver the promises to and expectations of their customers. They think, because they lie with a smile that it makes it okay what they're doing. This has to be one of the worst companies in Overland Park you can ever work for. STAY AWAY.

4 people found this review helpful