Virgin Atlantic Airways Employee Reviews about "cabin crew"

Updated 28 Mar 2020

4.1
Virgin Atlantic Airways CEO Shai Weiss
Shai Weiss
Pros
Cons
  • "Pay is no better than any other airline(in 16 reviews)

• "Cabin Crew management are unsupportive and you are just a number, they don’t care for your concernes(in 10 reviews)

Reviews about "cabin crew"

Return to all Reviews

"You are just a number"

I have been working at Virgin Atlantic Airways full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Travel the world and look glamorous whilst doing so.

Cons

The staff are ultimate bullies, the day I joined I was far younger than the training group and was alienated. In my first 6 months I had better flight reviews than crew that had been there for 20 years, working hard gets you nowhere unless you brown nose. You end up bullied and hated by other crew for being outstanding at your job. Cabin Crew management are unsupportive and you are just a number, they don’t care for your concernes. They stalk crew Facebook profiles to find what they don’t deem appropriate to force disciplinary upon you, thank god for the union.

Continue reading
  2. "Good employer, clear and transparent. Fair treatment with average pay for the job role."

5.0

I have been working at Virgin Atlantic Airways full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits - best in the industry. Fair sickness policies. Ability to change roster to suit you.

Cons

Pay is no better than any other airline. Difficult to move from London Heathrow to another base (cabin crew). Difficult to get desired holidays, as everything is seniority based.

"Great to begin with....then it all went downhill...."

I worked at Virgin Atlantic Airways full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Cabin Crew community is what makes it.

Cons

Great crew, mid & upper management not good. Pay, T&C's dreadful. 5 -6 long haul flights per month average. No scope for progression. Have to pay to attend annual SEP exams.

Continue reading

"Advertise as the best, far from the truth."

I have been working at Virgin Atlantic Airways part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The chance to travel much of the World. Discount on flights, holidays & other retailer's goods. If you want to travel, meet people & experience different cultures & have the opportunity to try experiences away from the normal 9-5 then this may be for you.

Cons

Poor wage for Cabin crew. Little chance of promotion. Bullying culture which is fed from management down & getting worse. Not allowed to voice opinions, those that do often face disciplinary action.

"No Support for Parents"

Former Employee - Cabin Crew in Heathrow, England

I worked at Virgin Atlantic Airways full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Private health care for me and my loved ones.

Cons

After working for Virgin Atlantic for 5 years as part of the cabin crew I fell pregnant with my first child, after 6 months of maternity leave, I was made to believe there were Child Care benefits however after having had my child it became clear there were no benefits as you were in fact paying for the child care out of your salary!! Baby sitters can become hard to rely on so flexibility was needed however this was not offered for me, resulting in my partner having to take all the time off himself causing him to loose his job. The fact there are no ACTUAL benefits regarding child care is so disheartening and caused me to leave the job.

December 21, 2017Recruitment Manager

Many thanks for your review and sorry to hear of your experience. We do operate a childcare benefit scheme for all UK employees with children under the age of 16 which allows all employees to save tax and National Insurance (NI) contributions on a proportion of the childcare costs that they pay through the scheme. In addition to this we also offer parental leave to help with childcare and part time working options following maternity leave as we understand the flexibility that people may require when returning to work. Your feedback is appreciated as we are continually reviewing our benefits to ensure that we can remain competitive for our employees.

"Brilliant people but physically demanding & no holiday for 2 years!"

Former Employee - Cabin Crew in Heathrow, England

I worked at Virgin Atlantic Airways full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working for Virgin Atlantic was my dream job in my time of being there I met some of the most incredible people have made memories that I will cherish forever & been to some truly beautiful places. All in all as a company Virgin Atlantic is one you feel proud to work the job it self is a feel good one when your strutting though the airport in your unifrom to stepping out of the car at the gas station to fill up and turn a few heads for the first few months at Virgin I sometimes had to pinch myself at times it really feels that you are living the dream. The trainers and managers are very supportive and majority very lovely people the other crew you fly with and the pilots are what make the job Virgin worth doing they are what kept me in it for the last 7 months despite deciding that I wanted to leave very early on. Paywise yes it could be better but it is a very fair wage and with the trip allowance you wont be waiting for payday.

Cons

Very unsociable hours you will be away at least 2 days a week so if you have family or like being at home a lot and do not want to miss a birthday or wedding this is not the job for you!.. Fair enough its what we sign up for but when you do actually miss a birthday to go to Lagos its a lot harder living the reality! Oh also unless you have been there for 10 years forget about even trying to get Christmas off or any time off near it! The night flights home are exhausting you will land back and feel shattered and need to spend the day sleeping when you do get back one of the biggest things for me that contributed to me leaving the job was that in the interview we were told we could not book holiday for the first 6 months which was fair enough but then they changed it so we could not book holiday until 2019! Seriously what sort of work place doesn't let you book holiday for 2 years! Also another major factor into me leaving was that the job it self I found to be incredibly repetitive you go out with your cart clean the toilets occasionally you might have a medical incident or FSM to flight deck when an engine shuts down mid flight but for the most part you will be serving or cooking food or answering call bells most of them PAX wanting a coffee. In general the lifestyle of being cabin crew was not suitable for me a lot of the social aspect revolves around drinking down route which is all fun and good but its soon wears you down & in the long run is not the most healthy of lifestyles you will feel tiredness like you have never felt before. I really respect crew that stick it out for 5/10/20 years it is a very emotionally & physically demanding hard job.

November 17, 2017Recruitment Manager

Many thanks for your review, it sounds like you visited some amazing places during your time as crew with us and appreciated what a great brand we have. You’re right that the hours crew have to work can be anti-social and impact on your social life which is why it’s really important that people think about this when applying to work with us as it may mean having to miss important birthdays or even being away at Christmas and Easter when everyone back at home is relaxing. The business always ensures that crew have adequate rest between flights so they are able to carry out their duties effectively. We appreciate your comments in relation to annual leave, due to the nature of the role and operational demands it may mean that people might not always be given their first preference but we will ensure we share your feedback with the team. It sounds as if you have now moved on to another role so we hope you have found something that meets your expectations and wish you all the best.

"Fun for a few years, but not a long term career"

Current Employee - Cabin Crew in Heathrow, England

I have been working at Virgin Atlantic Airways part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of amazing destinations, chance to visit some places that you may never under normal circumstances. Met some fantastic colleagues and usually great fun onboard despite the unsociable hours. It's the fellow crew that make the job bearable. Staff travel concessions.

Cons

Zero room for progression. Actually going backwards. Worked for them for over 10 years. Was Senior Cabin Crew but the job role was made redundant. Choice to leave or take pay cut and revert to original starting role. Obviously this is horribly demotivating. Despite the fact that had proven excellent feedback from colleagues and onboard managers, this was never recognised or rewarded. You feel like just a number in a massive machine and very undervalued. Also it gets you down when the only thing that makes Virgin different from other airlines these days is the crew, a fact that is constantly reiterated and yet crew are the worst paid job in the business. Crew management constantly changing so you never really have a chance to build a rapport with your manager. Also since the latest changeover emails and telephone calls go unanswered.

Continue reading

"Militant and dull staff"

2.0
    Support Planner - Supply Chain in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

I worked at Virgin Atlantic Airways for less than a year

Pros

The cabin crew and younger members of the business show a great level of enthusiasm, and passion for what they do.

Cons

The offices are tired, along with the older members of staff. They show no signs of enthusiasm which is very off putting to younger staff joining the business. The staff travel scheme is complicated and combined with the poor holiday allowance it makes using it a struggle.

July 20, 2017Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Our work environment and staff well-being is very important to us at Virgin Atlantic so we are disappointed to read your comments regarding our offices. Last year we moved to a brand new office which offers contemporary, dynamic and flexible work space, something we feel truly reflects our spirit and passion. We have received some very positive feedback regarding our new office and we are confident that the space encourages a more activity based working style as well as supporting the wellbeing of our people. Thank you once again, for taking the time to share your comments.

"Cabin Crew"

4.0
    Former Employee - Cabin Crew in London, England

I worked at Virgin Atlantic Airways part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best experience ever. If you want to be Cabin Crew - Virgin Atlantic is the airline to work for. Great benefits, and an amazing staff travel package. Opportunity to travel some amazing destinations across the world. Great people to work with, who also become your life long friends. A lot of people have worked at Virgin for nearly 30 years, and there is a reason for it - It's an amazing place to work.

Cons

Jet lag, and tiredness from flying. The pay isn't fantastic. Opportunities for progression are limited.

Continue reading

"Once great, now a fading star."

Former Employee - Cabin Crew in London, England

I worked at Virgin Atlantic Airways full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Having worked at Virgin Atlantic for almost 10 years as Cabin Crew, I'd have to say the lifestyle it provides would be a huge pro - getting to see the world, occasionally lots of time off and very occasionally a long layover somewhere nice. A reasonable pension scheme and a once great private medical scheme. The staff travel benefits are good, IF, you get on the flight though the flight loads can wildly change, especially since the joint venture with Delta. Mostly great crew to work alongside.

Cons

I decided to leave Virgin Atlantic for many reasons, but mostly because I felt undervalued and ignored by cabin crew management. I wasn't called once by my last crew manager (who line managed me for 8 years), and I wasn't even offered an exit interview, let alone a thank you and/or goodbye. The recent business changes (reduction in crew complement and service amendments) were to the detriment of employee engagement and customer expectation and as I left I'd never known such a once happy company to feel so sad, angry and depressed. I've always taken pride in my career at Virgin, but I could no longer take up the slack in the shortfall of customer service provided by the company. A mass exodus of staff speaks volumes and I'd be wary of offering advice to friends or family considering a career at Virgin Atlantic.

Found 13 reviews