Virginia Mason Reviews

Updated 21 Apr 2021

3.8
Virginia Mason Chairman & CEO Gary Kaplan
Gary Kaplan
Pros
  • "Benefits and focus on patient care(in 16 reviews)

• "Good pay, respectful environment, open to feedback from employees(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "VM seems to be very stingy for lower level employees when it comes to wages and raises(in 17 reviews)

• "Lately we have been working short staffed on the floors and management doesn't seem to be doing much about it(in 9 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"Genuinely Good People"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The leadership at VM consists of genuinely good people. The "Respect for People" program is sincerely implemented and creates a positive environment for employees and patients.

Cons

Downtown location is not in a very safe part of the city.

February 2, 2021Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We often hear from prospective candidates that they read our reviews on GlassDoor to get a better understanding of what it's like to work here, so your feedback is valuable. We love that you mentioned our "Respect for People" program and the positive environment it creates for our employees and our patients. We strive to create an environment where everyone feels respected and their contributions are valued. Respect for people is at the core of who we are at Virginia Mason, and we’ll keep doing our best to improve the employee experience. Thanks again for sharing your experience, we appreciate all you do for our patients.

2. "Awesome work culture"

Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason full-time

Pros

Fantastic really caring management on the unit I work on, and really great culture of teamwork between the PCTs and nurses. Literally the best place I've ever worked

Cons

Nothing I can think of

April 29, 2021Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We often hear from prospective candidates that they read these reviews to get a better understanding of what it's like to work here, so your feedback is valuable. We appreciate you highlighting so many of the things we’re proud of, from our management to our culture of teamwork. You made our day when you said Virginia Mason is literally the best place you’ve ever worked. We consider it our honor and privilege to elevate the team member experience through competitive pay, excellent benefits and terrific culture. Thanks for everything you do for our patients!

3. "Virginia Mason is a good company with right priorities of helping the community and patients first focused."

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason full-time for more than a year

Pros

Virginia Mason is patient first focused. It feels good to feel like you are a part of helping the community. Virginia Mason Medical Center has a great reputation even in a competitive hospital setting like Seattle. They put patients first meaning ensuring that such patients have continuity of care with a healthcare professional whom the patient knows and trusts.

Cons

Virginia Mason should offer more perks available to the hospital staff for the support staff areas (example: Finance).

March 10, 2021Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for taking time to share the great reasons you enjoyed working at Virginia Mason. We appreciate you recognizing our sterling reputation in the Seattle community and the great care our team members provide to patients. We are incredibly proud of our staff and we work hard to make Virginia Mason THE best place to work in Seattle. We also value the constructive feedback you provided and we are thankful you took the time to share your thoughts here. We will share your comments with the appropriate leaders, as we're always looking for ways to reflect and improve. Thank you for all you do for our patients.

4. "Not the best"

1.0
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Edmonds, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason full-time for more than a year

Pros

Consistent schedule, PTO, there are also a few great employees.

Cons

From what I’ve gathered this is very location specific, leadership is awful and has no communication. Training is very minimal and does not actually prepare you for the position you’re hired for. Work drama and extremely lazy employees run this location while management is incredibly disconnected from the day to day operations. The drama and laziness continue as management just enables those employees with little to no repercussions.

May 4, 2021Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your review on Virginia Mason. We appreciate you recognizing our flexible schedules, PTO and great co-workers. Having a good team around you is important, and we work hard to hire, develop, and celebrate the best people. We're sorry to hear your experience isn't meeting our shared expectations. We appreciate your contributions and will share this information with department leadership. We hope that you feel comfortable talking through your concerns and constructive feedback with your HR Business Partner so we can work through them together. We hope to hear from you.

5. "great place"

Current Employee - Professional Development Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

amazing culture, treat staff well, employees have a voice

Cons

downtown seattle, no parking available

April 29, 2021Recruiter

We appreciate you sharing your feedback on your work experience at Virginia Mason. Thank you for recognizing that we respect and honor our team members – they at the center of everything we do, and we believe they deserve the best experience we can offer. We hear you about the logistics of working in Seattle. As a nonprofit dedicated to serving our community, we go where our patients need us. Sometimes, as with our core medical center in downtown Seattle, that means places where parking is challenging. We’re always looking at ways to improve our team member experience, including commute, transportation and parking options. And we are always willing to listen and consider ideas for improvement. Thank you for all you do to care for our patients and for taking time to share your comments.

6. "PCT at Downtown Seattle Campus"

Current Employee - PCT Patient Care Tech in Seattle, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Virginia Mason part-time

Pros

Strong culture of safety, management values and acts on the input of all employees, care is patient not profit centered

Cons

Chronic understaffing and VM recently merged with CHI Franciscan (a Catholic organization). As a result, VM has stopped providing key sexual health services such as contraceptive and abortion care to patients. Additionally VM no longer works with patients with terminal illness who wish to end their lives through Washington’s Death with Dignity Act.

February 23, 2021Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for taking time to share your review. We appreciate you recognizing our management team and the value they place on their team members, along with our strong culture of safety and patient care. We are incredibly proud of our employees and we work hard to ensure that Virginia Mason is THE best place to work in Seattle. Delivering quality patient care and serving our community are priorities as we work to support our community needs. We also appreciate hearing about how we can improve. To address the concerns you raised about staffing, Virginia Mason constantly assesses staffing levels and our team of recruiters works hard in a very competitive and difficult market to recruit the best talent to Virginia Mason. We’d also like to take a moment to clarify your statement regarding our joint operating agreement with CHI Franciscan. Virginia Mason remains a non-Catholic organization and is not subject to the Ethical and Religious Directives. That said, nearly all procedures historically conducted at Virginia Mason will continue to be provided. Direct elective pregnancy terminations are the only services that will no longer be provided at Virginia Mason. Virginia Mason had conducted a very limited number of direct elective pregnancy terminations and had not conducted physician assisted death at its hospital. If a patient seeks services either organization does not offer, we will ensure processes are in place for patients to be given information about where these services are available in our community. In addition, all other women’s health care services will continue. All other end-of-life and palliative care services will continue across the health system.

7. "Prior to Merger"

Former Employee - Program Manager

I worked at Virginia Mason full-time for more than a year

Pros

- small hospital system with a close knit feel

Cons

- felt like a sinking ship

April 19, 2021Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to review Virginia Mason. We absolutely agree with your comments about our culture, that we work on building a close knit feel so all team members feel engaged and energized by their work. We’re sorry to hear about your concerns. We are actually excited about the opportunities and promise of our future as Virginia Mason Franciscan Health, and we hope you give it a chance. Again, thank you for your feedback.

8. "Ok"

Current Employee - Neurosurgery Nurse Practitioner in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason full-time

Pros

Good culture and great colleagues

Cons

Poor APP leadership, physician centric

April 19, 2021Recruiter

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We appreciate you noting our culture and team. We believe both are at the core of everything we do, and we’re proud to be one of the best places to work in the Seattle area. We also appreciate your thoughts about our APP and physicians, and will share your comments with leadership. Thank you for all you do for our patients.

9. "Great work life balance and awesome team"

Current Employee - Associate Financial Analyst

I have been working at Virginia Mason full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work life balance, great team and awesome boss

Cons

Little bit of a commute to me

April 5, 2021Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your review here. You highlighted so many of the things we’re most proud of at Virginia Mason – our team, our leaders, the importance of helping our employees maintain great work-life balance. We believe our priority to take care of our team is one of the keys to our success. Staying true to our core values, mission and commitment to putting our employee and patients at the center of everything we do drives us to deliver the best patient care to our community. Again, thanks for showing your appreciation of what makes Virginia Mason a special place to work!

"Abusive and toxic"

2.0
    Former Employee - Revenue Department in Seattle, WA

I worked at Virginia Mason full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The health benefits, excellent senior leadership who are doing good work.

Cons

Terrible and abusive middle managment and supervisors. PTO is below average, toxic environment, if go to HR with complaints you will face retaliation no matter what their policy says. They will also lie to cover themselves. If you take a job with them, remember, HR will not support you. Go to federal agencies such as EEOC and Labor office first.

January 12, 2021Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We often hear from prospective candidates that they read our reviews on Indeed to get a better understanding of what it's like to work here, so your feedback is valuable. We appreciate you recognizing our great benefits and how amazing our senior leadership team is – our people really are at the heart of our organization, so we appreciate the shout out to them. We also value the constructive feedback you provided, and we are thankful you took the time to share your thoughts here. We will share your comments with the appropriate leaders, as we're always looking for ways to reflect and improve. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 313 Reviews