Volkswagen Group of America Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.5
Volkswagen Group of America President and CEO, VWGoA Scott Keogh
Scott Keogh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I also have found that this is a work environment that provides its employees a good work life balance" (in 22 reviews)

• "Good benefits in terms of work flexibility" (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life/balance is non existent" (in 22 reviews)

• "long hours, have to work night shift due to senority, hard on the body and exhausting work" (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company - wish I still worked there!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA (US)

I worked at Volkswagen Group of America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, awesome cars, high performance is rewarded. Each person can make a real impact. Many people who left for other opportunities came back to VWGoA because it is just such a great company. I left for personal reasons but really wish I still worked there. Best company ever!

Cons

None I can think of.

2. "Correcting the course"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Auburn Hills, MI (US)
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Auburn Hills, MI (US)

I have been working at Volkswagen Group of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work over all, senior management is engaged in working on making it an even better place to work. The thing I appreciate most is the atmosphere of gratefulness, people recognize when someone puts out extra effort, is thankful and expresses it. Simple things like this make the whole environment more enjoyable.

Cons

While a lot of employees have come from the contractor base, the organization is too reliant on contractors across the whole organization. Although contractors are treated very well compared to other organization this leads to a little friction within the organization.

3. "Great opportunities and benefits"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I have been working at Volkswagen Group of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits & great opportunities if you work hard and show initiative.

Cons

as the admin you sometimes get tasks that are specialists tasks, I recommend to voice that to your direct supervisor and address the issue... it might be the time to ask for a new "opportunity".

4. "Contractor Position"

Former Employee - Dealer Support Advocate in Auburn Hills, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Dealer Support Advocate in Auburn Hills, MI (US)

I worked at Volkswagen Group of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for growth, great management within my direct team, benefits within office: gym and cafe.

Cons

Depending on role, you may have longer hours on occasion or varying schedules to accommodate dealers across the country.

5. "Good and Bad"

Current Employee - Specialist in Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Specialist in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I have been working at Volkswagen Group of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Highly competitive compensation; Great bonuses

Cons

revolving door of talent; little transparency; no work life balance

"VW seems on the outside like a place you can make a career and retire from but once in its very stagnant and dead end."

Current Employee - Team Leader in Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I have been working at Volkswagen Group of America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pros of working at VW are a decent hourly rate but not comparable to other auto workers. If overtime is what you want there's plenty unless it's in the spring. The benefits are pretty good, especially the insurance. There's a lease program that's not bad but needs a better purchase program.

Cons

The downside of working at VW is there is very little room to advance. It's a good-ol-boy network built for yes-men to advance. Otherwise, you're too valuable on the floor to move up. The hours are very inconsistent but that fits well with the inconsistent management.

Advice to Management

Get it together. Overtime shouldn't be a daily threat and called just in case the target isn't hit. If overtime is called VW should have to pay it. That would stop unnecessary calling overtime. The target should be the target. Not the number that management scrolls across the top of the Andon screen. Pocket cars need to go away. We overproduce only to buffer managements bonuses and keep the culture of overtime up that has developed at this plant. It doesn't matter the issue but the solution is to throw hours at it. Nobody comes down to the people on the floor to ask what's actually happening. A solution is made from the top down by people that do not know what's actually going on or how to do the jobs. Keep doing what you're doing and the UAW will be in here but that actually might be a good thing to stabilize this plant and the inconsistent management. Like the saying goes "We make cars not sense!"

"Still trying to find their way in America"

Current Employee - Engineering Specialist in Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering Specialist in Chattanooga, TN (US)

Pros

Above average pay and decent benefits

Cons

Authoritarian plant CEO with no long term vision. There are many mangers but very few leaders. Local vision and innovation is discouraged and ignored. Americans are being run off or fired at an alarming rate and replaced by employees from VW Mexico as a cost savings tactic in order for VW to turn a profit in the US without moving production to Mexico. Benefits are being reduced or removed every year.

Advice to Management

Bring in leaders to turn this plant around instead of oppressive managers trying to make a name for themselves.

8. "Great experience so far!"

Current Employee - Technical Project Specialist in Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Project Specialist in Chattanooga, TN (US)

Pros

Supportive staff, High Paying, Low Stress Level

Cons

Newer engineering center still trying to get established.

9. "Great bennefits and people"

Current Employee - Manager in Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I have been working at Volkswagen Group of America (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great bennefits and people to work with. Job is demanding but rewarding.

Cons

Changes cone quickly, hard to stay ahead. People are great but workforce needs better training. Micromananged quite a bit.

Advice to Management

Back off just s bit to let your team breathe. Trust what they have been trained. Coach rather than dictate.

10. "Loved working for VWGoA!"

Former Employee - Business Operations Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Operations Analyst

I worked at Volkswagen Group of America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work for! Employee lease car program. Great benefits.

Cons

Not many direct hire positions.