Vrbo Product Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Vrbo CEO John Kim
John Kim
  1. "Satisfactory"

Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at Vrbo full-time for less than a year

Pros

good work, good benefits, lots to learn

Cons

too much is changing too fast

Vrbo2019-11-24

"Great Company, but Becoming More Corporate"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager

I have been working at Vrbo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Transparency, emphasis on continuing development, exciting product

Cons

Poor strategic focus at high levels, things move slower now that Expedia acquired the company, culture is changing to become more corporate

Vrbo2019-06-20

"Unplanned Growth"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Vrbo full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company offers excellent benefits that rival most other top tech employers. They invest in their employees and focus on finding great talent to start from.

Cons

Innovation is not at their core. If you want to extend your range of technical experimentation than this is not the place for you.

Vrbo2019-04-25
  4. "Great people but facing issues because of the scale"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Vrbo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Global approach to building teams

Cons

Too many stakeholders resulting in slow pace

Advice to Management

Divide responsibility better

Vrbo2018-06-07

"The place to be"

I have been working at Vrbo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Since John Kim has taken lead, the company has transformed to one of continuous learning, intelligent values, and dedicated culture. There is no shortage of things to keep busy with and the bottom-up approach is preached here. Now is the right time to be here. Just read Expedia’s earning reports for the last year. It’s all HomeAway.

Cons

The company is running lean so that means dev teams are small and it often feels like there is not enough time to get what you need done. Also, the travel benefit is lacking which is surprising given we are a travel company.

Advice to Management

Changes to the culture are great and you’ve managed them well. Get a better understanding of needs from the product development teams.

Vrbo2018-02-12
  6. "Amazing place to work for"

Current Intern - Product Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Vrbo for less than a year

Pros

1) Beautiful Culture 2) Treat employees with great respect 3) Great opportunities at work

Cons

I can't think of any. This is the best place I have worked so far

Advice to Management

Do what you are already doing. The culture is great, involvement of every single individual is outstanding.

Vrbo2017-06-29

"Best company I've ever worked for"

I have been working at Vrbo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people and culture are by far the best things about HomeAway. Everyone is extremely intelligent and the culture is very down-to-earth for a company of this size. There is no dress code and managers trust employees to manage their own time as long as their getting their work done.

Cons

With all of the websites that HomeAway operates, things can be very complex and take much longer than you might expect to get done. This is the challenge when you're acquiring and integrating the technology and people from other companies several times per year.

Advice to Management

Laser focus on top few priorities vs. mediocre focus on too many priorities.

Vrbo2014-08-10

"Success and confidence with a touch of ADD"

I have been working at Vrbo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many really smart people working together to build a new market. The only place I have ever worked where the products I get to participate in actually change and improve an industry. In that way it feels like a startup in a new space. Compensation and benefits are very good in Austin. Management is focused in evolving people and pushing us hard to achieve. Product roles require building up leadership muscles given... the highly matrixed organization and fragmented aspirations (both a pro and con). On the surface, the products and problems look easy, but they are not given a very complex customer base and the ownership of global marketplace. A great challenge that touches both consumer and SMB classes of problems. One of the few companies where mobile is a value prop vs. a trendy thing to do.

Cons

The company suffers from ADD, which translates into resources being spread very thin, product MVPs stretching the the definition of "minimum", and a lot of conquer and move on behavior. It's a delicate balance between being a public company focused on quarterly revenue targets and having a group of passionate people trying to build great products.

Advice to Management

Focus on reducing complexity to gain leverage.

Vrbo2014-07-25

"Work hard and get rewarded!"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Vrbo full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company really cares about its people and I'm not talking about in compensation and benefits - those are definitely on the high end but they actually care about if you're doing okay or not in all aspects of your life. Willing to invest in the right technology and people as evidenced by over $50MM in investment every year! Very goal-oriented and metrics-driven which in my opinion drives the best companies... in the world (along with leadership vision and engaged employees).

Cons

Not as big as IBM or Dell but no sweet spot of 200-500 employees where you know everyone. But the size brings benefits in technology investment.

Vrbo2014-07-23