Vrbo "austin" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Vrbo Employee Reviews about "austin"

Updated Nov 17, 2019

3.5
Vrbo CEO John Kim
John Kim
Pros
Cons
  • "Austin are the ones that actually deliver value(in 22 reviews)

• "Work/Life balance can sometimes be a challenge(in 14 reviews)

Reviews about "austin"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Constant Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Vrbo full-time

Pros

The benefits are incredible. Insurance is good at an low cost, lots of wellness, tech, travel and metro discounts. Ample PTO. Good colleagues, fun and relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

Drastic policy changes are pretty constant and employees are often not given adequate training or resources to assist customers with adapting. Base pay is low for the cost of living in Austin unless you have years of previous experience. They present that options to switch shifts or departments are possible upon hiring, but they are dependent on performance targets that are hard to meet due to the aforementioned... changes and miscommunications to customers. The customers really hate the company and do not have a lot of trust in it. It makes it difficult to advocate for the changes. Training inconsistencies often results in a lot of time spent cleaning up other agents' messes (which again kills your numbers).

Advice to Management

Focus less on performance targets and look at the bigger picture. Delegate tasks more evenly between departments.

Vrbo2019-11-17

"Great team, but extremely underpaid"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I worked at Vrbo full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Excellent tech stack to work with (from React, Node to Scala, Akka and so on), CI/CD - Great team in London, everyone committed to doing high quality work to deliver value to customers - Caring management, encouraging and enabling the team to be vocal, collaborative - opportunity to work, travel across different cities in the world

Cons

- Austin gets paid, talks the talk, while teams outside of Austin are the ones that actually deliver value. - Because the company is predominantly in the USA, product and engineering teams there have no understanding of what local relevance means. All they know is the USA, all they have seen is how Americans use products, they do not comprehend what having a Global company means. - The team in London is extremely... underpaid, compared to the market

Advice to Management

Pay your employees well.

Vrbo2019-09-27
  3. "Amazing Work-Life Balance & Solving Problems I Care About"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Austin, TX

I have been working at Vrbo full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Amazing work-life balance with the opportunity to work from home occasionally, a lot of time off, and it's really ok to not respond to emails on weekends and days off. - Never bored at work watching the clock reach 5 p.m. I'm solving problems I care about and that my manager/team supports. - Friendly coworkers from all walks of life. Very casual work environment. - In my specific position, I don't feel like I'm... being micromanaged and I have room to share my ideas and actually implement.

Cons

- Things can feel "corporatey" at times, but we are a corporation with thousands of employees so... - No free lunches at the Austin offices yet.

Advice to Management

Make the leadership more transparent, with more messaging to employees via video/interviews/photos etc. that show they are real people and gives us the chance to get to know them.

Vrbo2018-01-22
  4. "HomeAway"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Vrbo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hot category, great people, solid benefits, global company, Austin based, social gatherings

Cons

Not breakthrough, low brand recognition, numbers-focused, no mission or CSR program

Advice to Management

Put heart into the business

Vrbo2018-01-20
  5. "Great!"

I have been working at Vrbo full-time

Pros

Friendly Atmosphere. Great place to work in Austin.

Cons

Management can be described as nontransparent.

Vrbo2018-01-14
  6. "Great company with a bright future"

Former Employee - Engineering in Austin, TX

I worked at Vrbo full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

One of the best companies to work for in Austin. The Expedia acquisition has only improved the outlook.

Cons

Messiness related to change in control post Expedia acquisition but I would fully expect that to settle down -- this is all for the better.

Vrbo2017-12-27

"Poor Management"

Current Employee - Analyst in Singapore

I have been working at Vrbo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Dress down, free breakfast, ample food every corner. Nice office

Cons

management is let down. People are promoted internally via biased procedures. People are not rewarded for their talents. Your location matters. If Austin based you can climb management ladder, your work is visible. Outside Austin you are no one.

Advice to Management

Use recruiters to core and hire the people to do the job they are appointed for

Vrbo2017-11-06

"Going in a strange direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Vrbo full-time

Pros

If you are in the "product" organization or a middle manager or above, you are probably paid well. Most employees are good people and easy to get along with, especially individually. Given the big bet Expedia has placed, there is significant runway for big bets and failure.

Cons

The company will now live and die based on the new CEO. To say he is hands on is a vast understatement. The monthly review format is a massive time and energy sink that almost certainly does more harm than good. The "120 process" supposes a flat company structure but the company is very hierarchical and will be even more so when thousands are hired in Austin. There's no real reward or incentive to contribute.... The actual website(s) are still a mess. It's very rare for anyone to rise through the internal ranks even if they are a very strong performer.

Advice to Management

Clear out the middle management layer periodically like most successful tech companies do. Don't replace them all with long term Expedia people. Try again to find a CMO. Provide travel and education budget transparency.

Vrbo2017-06-25

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Vrbo full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is growing quickly and the business/branding changes are smart and exciting to see and be a part of. The culture is great and overall morale is high despite the large acquisition by Expedia. Fantastic benefits and perks.

Cons

They have 5 different locations in Austin because they're growing so quickly. While this is a positive thing, it's causing a lot of teams to have to relocate from North Austin to downtown, or to South Austin which is frustrating (traffic issues) and disruptive. They are working on a larger, long-term fix, but until then it's a bit hectic.

Advice to Management

Please keep the HomeAway specific perks that are already in place now that we are an Expedia company.

Vrbo2017-04-14

"Low Pay for a Tech Company in Austin, Bad Management"

Current Employee - Customer Experience in Austin, TX

I have been working at Vrbo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

HomeAway used to be a leader in Austin but they have fallen behind. They hire frequently but many don't stay.

Cons

The Customer Experience Department has poor management. Few opportunities to advance within the company or improve your career. No tuition reimbursement like many companies. Not a company for long term employment. The pay is low.

Vrbo2017-03-17