Vroom Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.2
Paul Hennessy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Technically Challenged"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Vroom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Facilities are new are nice and pay excluding the benefits are at market level

Cons

Lack of actual technology and a surprising amount of nepotism for a “startup “

Advice to Management

Invest in automation and hire more capable people and definitely do something about the nepotism which reeks of a subpar culture and talent.

"An awesome culture and great engineering management"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Vroom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I get to develop microservices on GCP with Kubernetes, which I think is pretty cool. The new office is really nice and provides a solid work environment. I haven't had many dev managers that I liked working with, but the engineering management, especially in NYC, is very helpful, knowledgable, and respectful of my personal life. I think I'll be here at least until they IPO or the engineering management changes.

Cons

We are breaking off pieces from an old monolith into different services. Sometimes working with the legacy applications can be difficult.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting/hiring good engineering management

3. "Great- growing company"

Current Employee - Finance in Stafford, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Finance in Stafford, TX (US)

I have been working at Vroom full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Vroom brings light to the often negative stigma that surrounds the traditional car buying process. Being involved in making this a better experience for the customer is rewarding and I genuinely enjoy coming to work. I welcome the new structure and the added backing of the HR department that values the employees. This company started out as an independent organization and lacked this quality.

Cons

none- I can't think of one con.

5. "A start-up run by adults."

Current Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Vroom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vroom is a great place to work. There are tons of smart, fun people here who are working together to build the new way to sell cars. The culture here is open and collaborative. Great work / life balance.

Cons

Because disrupting the auto industry is a huge challenge, Vroom is still figuring out a lot. Process and operations need tightening. Too much sugar in the kitchen.

Advice to Management

We've grown so fast that we've outgrown our NYC office space, so it's a little overcrowded right now.

"A tech company without tech leaders"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Vroom full-time

Pros

The compensation package was competitive. The people I worked with were smart and hard working. They tried their best, even though management was consistently awful. Even good people will produce poor results without direction and strong management.

Cons

Vroom brands itself as a tech company that wants to change how cars are sold, but they are really just a big car dealership with a website. Changing the car industry requires a strong brand, and there was never a clear focus on the Vroom brand.

There are no tech leaders to moderate the unrealistic visions from the upper management. Lower level employees who raise these concerns are not listened to.

There is an idea that they are a start up that has to constantly move forward quickly without actually fixing any of the underlying communication problems and technical debt.

Company leadership and developers are split between Texas and New York and communication is consistently bad.

Advice to Management

Realize that if you want to be a tech company, you need to talk to technical people and have them at the table when you make decisions. There is a consistent message from reviews on Glassdoor about poor management. Paul Hennessy needs to take a long look at the rest of his C-level team and how it is failing.

7. "A Startup That's Scaling"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Vroom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Vroom is growing quickly- as the business grows, they've doubled and tripled the size of the team. So while the environment has some of the typical hyper-growth startup symptoms (lack of meeting room space, lots of new employees who are still learning the business) the company has done a good job identifying its top priorities and organizing small teams around them. Employees are friendly, open, and committed. Healthy work environment. Lots of internal promotions.

Cons

It feels like Vroom went from 30 people to 100 people so quickly that the basics are still catching up. They just upgraded their full benefits platform. They are still working on creating a smooth hiring process. And they still need to promote and hire more managers to glue things together.

Advice to Management

We're all here because we love building a disruptive company. It's OK to be up-and-down (we chose a startup because we like change and challenge) but sometimes you've got to take a step back and make sure everybody's on the same page.

"Look Elsewhere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Vroom full-time

Pros

The fact that they're trying to transform the auto industry into one that is significantly more modern and customer-centric is commendable.

Cons

Complete lack of leadership, poor communication, no career path. Management is focused solely on the business and doesn't take care of its employees.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your employees' needs, and hire more senior level managers who know how to bring people together and lead them to success.

"Changes need to be made"

I worked at Vroom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with

Cons

The Managers, The system on way things are done, the communication between departments, the favoritism between the hire ups, the constant changes that happen

Advice to Management

Change Management

"Great growing company who cares about employees"

Former Employee - Internet Sales in Grand Prairie, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Internet Sales in Grand Prairie, TX (US)

I worked at Vroom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have never been part of a company that promoted so many employees from within...it was great for morale. Those that worked hard and deserved it got a chance to do something more. In addition, a lot of the management really cared about the employees, the pay is far above average, they do little extras like employee appreciation day and recognize people with awards and little extras. It felt like a big family. Hours were great.

Cons

Nothing is perfect...especially in a new company that is growing. Sometimes things could be confusing with direction coming from the the off site office and then direction from our managers on site, which is not the best for staff. But,most of the managers had an open door policy and as long as you went to them, they were always willing to listen and help!

11. "Its okay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at Vroom (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast past environment and you will never be bored.

Cons

Its a new company so its hard to say what is going to happen from one day to the next