Vroom Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Full-timePart-time

Paul Hennessy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Headed for the top!"

Current Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Vroom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great leadership, there are many moving parts to move the brand to national scale. associates are excited and positive about the direction of the company. We have the tools and support to make it happen.

Cons

there are a few friction points with staffing levels and large project deadlines, but this team can get the job done!

Advice to Management

Continue to aim high, the team is behind you!

"Ready to Expand!!"

Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Vroom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Senior Leadership exemplifies integrity and shares a clear vision of company expansion. Senior Leadership has set the bar high for Vroom associates to deliver unrivaled customer service. Each department collaborates together to accomplish a common goal....Be the best end to end online direct car retailer.

Cons

Start up company with a few technology opportunities.

Advice to Management

Keep driving for greatness....We are almost there!!

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Vroom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people, good work environment, growing fast

Cons

Growth pains. Scope of work needs to be better defined for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring good people

"Good Company to work for."

I worked at Vroom full-time

Pros

Fast pace environment. Friendly people.

Cons

Pressure to perform at a high rate.

"Up and coming fast"

I have been working at Vroom full-time

Pros

Nice, smart, engaged people
    Interesting problems to solve
    Leadership listens and experiments
    True growth potential for individuals, team and company
    Ability to try new things
    If you love cars, tech and e-commerce, here it is!

Cons

There is not a playbook with a high degree of structure clearly defined...but is that really a con? To some people yes. It's also just a reality of start ups and can be fun if you're open and flexible.

Advice to Management

Let's grow!

"Avoid Vroom, job search elsewhere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Vroom full-time

Pros

Smart people, nice office, and a product that has a lot of potential.

Cons

Most of leadership lives in another state and are rarely seen in the office, which leads to no one else showing up. The company does not believe in investing in technology or investing in hard workers with a vision. Leadership is one giant echo chamber that refuses to see anything wrong with the company amongst all of the negative reviews, sinking sales, and talent leaving the company.

Don’t believe the use of the term “startup” as an excuse for not having a plan, structure, vision, or missed goals. The company has been around since 2014 and has received hundreds of millions of funding from private equity firms- this is hardly a startup.

The company also touts “experimentation”. This is simply not true, the company has not run a single A/B test. If you interview, ask what the last A/B test was and what was learned from it.

"Exciting Start-up -> Dynamic and Fast Moving"

I have been working at Vroom full-time

Pros

Super smart leadership team
    Potential to be a major disrupter in the auto industry
    Cutting-edge use of data analytics and data driven decision making
    Clear strategy
    Collaborative and respectful culture

Cons

Too much to do, with too little time
    Focus and more focus needed to ensure successful execution

Advice to Management

Focus on the core initiatives and stick to the plan.

"No structure. Leadership is ...wait what leadership?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Vroom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. It’s a job, so employment. There’s a nice coffee machines and plates to use for lunch. There’s also four microwaves to use.

Cons

Each department fends for themselves. No set leadership. Communication is terrible between corporate and others. They let go some of the hardest working people and expect people to work just as hard, if not harder, after such a big lay off.

Advice to Management

Hire better people who are actually qualified for the job.

"Exciting, challenging company on the verge of big things"

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Vroom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are smart, talented, really nice, and really hard-working. Leadership genuinely cares about the company and our customers. The problems we're trying to solve are far from easy, but that keeps things interesting. If you've got a good idea, you can make it happen. Also, cold brew, green tea, and beer on tap, a stocked kitchen with healthy foods, plenty of nooks and crannies to work in, if you want to change things up.

Honestly, things are about to get really interesting, and it's a great time to come on board.

Cons

We're a bit understaffed relative to what we're trying to accomplish, and that can be frustrating -- but more hires are coming.

Things can change quickly -- a project you've been working on might get backlogged, or an initiative that had been in the works gets scrapped. It's a startup, and you react to new data or lose. But it's not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep leading by example, hiring good people, and building the culture.

"Great Experience at a Company Rapidly Developing Traction"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Vroom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If I were to use one word to describe Vroom, it would be “experimentation.” Our top leadership asks in every meeting “How do we experiment and learn?’ ‘How can we make this into a test?” The auto industry is full of convention, and yet in every case Vroom is dedicated to breaking the mold and doing what is best for all constituencies. The desire and effort is genuine.
         Along the way, there have been massive changes in personnel and processes. Our leadership is extremely comfortable with these changes, so much so that it can be unsettling for so many folks that work here and have worked here. Yet the approach has been methodical, allowing time to learn, refining project selection, and preparing the company to scale. Some of the change has been hard to stomach, and the leadership shows their experience and courage by pushing forward.
         Through all the change, we have progressed towards developing high functioning teams. Leadership has acted responsibly, and they have treated people from all functional areas with fairness. Paul is an enlightened CEO. His ambitions and aspirations are to make Vroom a Fortune 500 company, and his lens is always at this magnitude.
         We are led by growth experts. We had trouble with sales processes, so we partnered with the best call center in the country. We had trouble with car quality standards, so we quickly built out a high performing quality assurance team. We had trouble with delivery communications, so we built out a staff to communicate daily with customers receiving deliveries. Problems have been flipped in to strengths with scalable practical solutions.
         I find, like many start-ups, Vroom affords the benefit of tremendous ability to utilize the skills you have. People here are constantly challenged by their work. We tackle hard problems that have not been solved before. Vroom provides enough bandwidth for employees to grow and extend their skillsets. The resources and tools to get many jobs done are not comparable with those afforded at cushy established companies. Yet provided there is good return on the work, and the projects align with the overall company goals, the leadership embraces new ideas and investments to get the jobs done.

Cons

Vroom purchased Texas Direct Auto in late 2015, and since that time has wrestled with many of the challenges that come with a major acquisition while being a start-up. It’s commonly said that 70%+ of acquisitions are failures. Having seen so many of the challenges that have existed during the past two years, you can see why failure could have happened. Texas Direct Auto, a Houston based staff of car industry veterans, merged in to a Vroom team of New York technologists, corporate and retail functional experts, and Web 2.0 internet marketers. The integration between different areas of knowledge, perspectives and culture was a struggle. There has been tremendous change aligning the teams to become one unified company, pivoting to a new business model, adjusting management personnel and policies, and upgrading technology. With all of this change, growth has happened more slowly than anyone would have liked.
         There was a layoff in the beginning of 2018 that was very painful for all involved, particularly for those that lost their jobs. Hindsight is 2020, and I believe in the year prior leadership did their best given the visibility in to the data and visibility in to organization available at the time. I believe what was done was with the best of intentions, judiciousness and conscientiousness given the situation. The layoff was a move towards getting back to business health, which the company executed.
        The negatives of a start-up do exist. Outside of a kitchen stocked with great snacks, the benefits packages are not cushy, the resources are in development, and business model pivots have eliminated jobs. The business is finding its way, and along that way, we have taken some punches. Yet challenges have not been due to malicious intent, sly practices, poor judgement, or anything less than the genuine best efforts by the leadership team. The business has come first in many decisions, and that has caused pain for those negatively effected. Yet these start-up trade-offs I, as well as many other happy employees here, have accepted. I feel my career prospects are bright, the people are fantastic, and my learning is rapid here. This is why I feel good about being at Vroom, despite the challenges.

Advice to Management

Continue to build up talent. Continue to invest in the existing talent. Stay the course on focusing the organization, centralizing around data and facts. Continue to set ever-increasing standards across the organization.