Vroom Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 10 July 2018

Full-timePart-time

Paul Hennessy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Exciting Start-up -> Dynamic and Fast Moving"

I have been working at Vroom full-time

Pros

Super smart leadership team
    Potential to be a major disrupter in the auto industry
    Cutting-edge use of data analytics and data driven decision making
    Clear strategy
    Collaborative and respectful culture

Cons

Too much to do, with too little time
    Focus and more focus needed to ensure successful execution

Advice to Management

Focus on the core initiatives and stick to the plan.

"Exciting, challenging company on the verge of big things"

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Vroom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are smart, talented, really nice, and really hard-working. Leadership genuinely cares about the company and our customers. The problems we're trying to solve are far from easy, but that keeps things interesting. If you've got a good idea, you can make it happen. Also, cold brew, green tea, and beer on tap, a stocked kitchen with healthy foods, plenty of nooks and crannies to work in, if you want to change things up.

Honestly, things are about to get really interesting, and it's a great time to come on board.

Cons

We're a bit understaffed relative to what we're trying to accomplish, and that can be frustrating -- but more hires are coming.

Things can change quickly -- a project you've been working on might get backlogged, or an initiative that had been in the works gets scrapped. It's a startup, and you react to new data or lose. But it's not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep leading by example, hiring good people, and building the culture.

"Great Experience at a Company Rapidly Developing Traction"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Vroom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If I were to use one word to describe Vroom, it would be “experimentation.” Our top leadership asks in every meeting “How do we experiment and learn?’ ‘How can we make this into a test?” The auto industry is full of convention, and yet in every case Vroom is dedicated to breaking the mold and doing what is best for all constituencies. The desire and effort is genuine.
         Along the way, there have been massive changes in personnel and processes. Our leadership is extremely comfortable with these changes, so much so that it can be unsettling for so many folks that work here and have worked here. Yet the approach has been methodical, allowing time to learn, refining project selection, and preparing the company to scale. Some of the change has been hard to stomach, and the leadership shows their experience and courage by pushing forward.
         Through all the change, we have progressed towards developing high functioning teams. Leadership has acted responsibly, and they have treated people from all functional areas with fairness. Paul is an enlightened CEO. His ambitions and aspirations are to make Vroom a Fortune 500 company, and his lens is always at this magnitude.
         We are led by growth experts. We had trouble with sales processes, so we partnered with the best call center in the country. We had trouble with car quality standards, so we quickly built out a high performing quality assurance team. We had trouble with delivery communications, so we built out a staff to communicate daily with customers receiving deliveries. Problems have been flipped in to strengths with scalable practical solutions.
         I find, like many start-ups, Vroom affords the benefit of tremendous ability to utilize the skills you have. People here are constantly challenged by their work. We tackle hard problems that have not been solved before. Vroom provides enough bandwidth for employees to grow and extend their skillsets. The resources and tools to get many jobs done are not comparable with those afforded at cushy established companies. Yet provided there is good return on the work, and the projects align with the overall company goals, the leadership embraces new ideas and investments to get the jobs done.

Cons

Vroom purchased Texas Direct Auto in late 2015, and since that time has wrestled with many of the challenges that come with a major acquisition while being a start-up. It’s commonly said that 70%+ of acquisitions are failures. Having seen so many of the challenges that have existed during the past two years, you can see why failure could have happened. Texas Direct Auto, a Houston based staff of car industry veterans, merged in to a Vroom team of New York technologists, corporate and retail functional experts, and Web 2.0 internet marketers. The integration between different areas of knowledge, perspectives and culture was a struggle. There has been tremendous change aligning the teams to become one unified company, pivoting to a new business model, adjusting management personnel and policies, and upgrading technology. With all of this change, growth has happened more slowly than anyone would have liked.
         There was a layoff in the beginning of 2018 that was very painful for all involved, particularly for those that lost their jobs. Hindsight is 2020, and I believe in the year prior leadership did their best given the visibility in to the data and visibility in to organization available at the time. I believe what was done was with the best of intentions, judiciousness and conscientiousness given the situation. The layoff was a move towards getting back to business health, which the company executed.
        The negatives of a start-up do exist. Outside of a kitchen stocked with great snacks, the benefits packages are not cushy, the resources are in development, and business model pivots have eliminated jobs. The business is finding its way, and along that way, we have taken some punches. Yet challenges have not been due to malicious intent, sly practices, poor judgement, or anything less than the genuine best efforts by the leadership team. The business has come first in many decisions, and that has caused pain for those negatively effected. Yet these start-up trade-offs I, as well as many other happy employees here, have accepted. I feel my career prospects are bright, the people are fantastic, and my learning is rapid here. This is why I feel good about being at Vroom, despite the challenges.

Advice to Management

Continue to build up talent. Continue to invest in the existing talent. Stay the course on focusing the organization, centralizing around data and facts. Continue to set ever-increasing standards across the organization.

"Anonymous"

I have been working at Vroom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse. People are cool. Location and office is superb. Benefits good as well. Startup so they’re still trying to figure things out but no real issues.

Cons

Startup so they’re still trying to figure things out. Need more work life balance. People still seem uncertain about what’s going to happen.

Advice to Management

Give the office a more playful friendly vibe. More work life balance. More work from home acceptability. Trust your employees to do good and they will do good.

"Huge potential, gaining momentum"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Vroom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong leadership team brought together over two years. Smart, experienced, driven employee-base. A culture of extremely open communication...if you lean into it. Feedback is welcomed and addressed but you have to be proactive in providing it. There's been a lot of change in a short amount of time (as is the way with start-ups) but momentum is building. This is not easy work (and maybe not even the work you signed up for!) but there's huge potential to learn, stretch, grow personally and be part of an exciting, game-changing business.

Cons

Vroom is still a start-up in many ways. To succeed, need to be flexible, resilient, transparent, scrappy. Very lean teams - have to be able to prioritize, get creative...and say no!

Advice to Management

Keep/increase communication flow, especially as we hit new milestones and successes.

"Exciting - just getting started"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Vroom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Huge fragmented market and opportunity to transform an industry where consumers desperately want change.
    Former Priceline management Board level, CEO and below. Transformed Priceline and applying that experience here.
    Investors and ability to raise money.

Cons

Merging two companies, different cultures, systems has tied up time and resources on merging vs building a nationwide car buying platform (have largely completed that transition though).

Advice to Management

With merger transition in rear view mirror continue focus on building something special but now at the speed we want.

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Vice President in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Vroom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent people on the staff, both on the executive managment team and in the day to day operations teams. The leadership team actually cares about the employee enviroment and experience, If anyone that currently works for this company fails to see the expidential opportunity in their grasp, they are in the wrong place. There is no company or platform that owns the used car market in the USA and the business has not changed in decades. This is a company with true opportunity to disrupt a multi billion dollar industry. Of course there will be bumps in the road, and direction changes, there are only a few companies that are attempting to do this. There is no roadmap, Traditional automotive enviroments cannot hold a candle to the way employees are treated at Vroom.

Cons

We have had some setbacks, and consolidation that has affected team members, but regardless of other reviews on here say, I know that all were treated with respect. This type of treatment in a tough situation just does not exist in the traditional industry.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing forward, We are moving in the right direction!

"Dynamic Environment for Professional Growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stafford, TX (US)

I have been working at Vroom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Senior Leadership team supports and empowers the associates to make the right decisions to develop the Vroom brand. The Senior Leadership Team has broke down the traditional functional hierarchy and promotes a team-based operation.
    Vroom has put together a great benefits package with a lot of employee assistance programs. The vacation time and paid holiday perks are unparalleled.

Cons

Not opening other facilities at a faster rate.

"Receiving asst"

Current Employee - Receiving Associate in Staff, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Receiving Associate in Staff, TX (US)

I have been working at Vroom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good for entry level job seekers

Cons

Working out side for almost all day for very less pay, no raise for even people who worked there for more than 3 years.never happy management. Anything management says is a lie. Promotion and raise will be only in offers not getting any time.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees right they will stay

"Horrible Place to Work"

I have been working at Vroom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The free beer is nice I guess. If you’re going to work at Vroom, having access to free alcohol is kind of a necessity.

Cons

I’d like to start off by addressing all the painfully obvious fake reviews written on here by leadership and HR in the last week or so. If they put half as much effort into doing their jobs as they did into posting on Glassdoor, then Vroom might actually be a desirable place to work.
    Senior leadership and HR at Vroom is despicable and incredibly incompetent. They’ve built a culture of lies, deception, nepotism, and backstabbing which sits at the core of Vroom.

Some of the fake reviews claim the company is “growing”. This translates into “we have open positions because so many people are leaving the company and we can’t hire for them because nobody wants to work here.” Another review states that it’s a dynamic workplace where things move fast. This might not be for everyone.” This translates into: Leadership has no vision or direction. Goals are constantly changing and you will be blindsided by the decisions made from the top down. CEO Paul Hennessy prides himself on cultivating an open culture where everyone can contribute ideas. This could not be further from the truth.

Vroom leadership claims the company to be a “disruptive force in the automotive space”. Literally, nothing Vroom does is disruptive. Vroom is nothing more than a used car dealership with a crappy, out of date, poorly functioning website. No investment or priority is placed on product/engineering. Paul Hennessy claims the company is e-commerce. I’m not familiar with too many e-commerce companies that fed-ex paperwork to their customers and doesn’t allow you to perform any part of the transaction online. Go to yelp and read reviews for Vroom, it’s all there. This is how Vroom operates.... like it’s still the 1990’s.

Vroom laid off the majority of their product team and all of engineering leadership earlier this year. This is NOT a company that is disruptive. It’s a company that is desperately trying NOT to go out of business. If you choose to work here, you will have no prospects for career growth or advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

This is advice for the chairman: Bob Mylod. I know for a fact that you are very unhappy with company performance thus far. FIRE. YOUR. CEO. The rest of leadership should go after that. They have run this company into the ground. You might have a chance at getting investors their money back and saving face if you do these things. Otherwise, Vroom will be known as the place that threw away 300M+ dollars of VC funding.