Vulcan Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 13 Sep 2020

3.5
Vulcan CEO Bill Hilf
Bill Hilf
Pros
  • "Great people, interesting technology, decent work/life balance, good benefits(in 15 reviews)

• "Benefits and work life balance are great(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some areas seem to have better work/life balance than others - but such is the risk with such a diverse organization working on such different projects(in 11 reviews)

• "Very little exposure to upper management(in 6 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Good people..."

Current Employee - Principal Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Vulcan full-time

Pros

Great people, interesting technology, decent work/life balance, good benefits.

Cons

Unstable, poor communication, multiple layoffs.

2. "A wonderful, supportive place to work"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Vulcan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Vulcan is working hard to change the world for the better and treats their employees very well. Benefits and work life balance are great!

Cons

High expectations and slow turn around on some projects needing approval at all levels.

Continue reading

"Fun and Inventive Workspace"

Current Employee - Contract Specialist

I have been working at Vulcan full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, the work is different every day, the management team is supportive, the benefits are good, the work schedule is good, communication is great, easy to commute, lots of great perks, fun events, they take good care of their employees and really care about work/life balance

Cons

I'm happy with everything so far!

"Weak sr mgmt but good staff and environment"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Vulcan full-time

Pros

Excellent group of people and available resources. Work life balance is good. The culture of work hard and play hard is alive and well. Advancement happens but only for the select few who are favorites of senior management or "in the club".

Cons

Senior leadership is absent. We don't hear about successes probably because they are not making much progress on the company goals. Just a lot of reorging and cost controls. There are few stellar executives (most have been here for years) but virtually all of the recent hires in the last two years are mediocre at best.

Vulcan Response

September 10, 2018Vulcan

Thank you for your feedback.

"Good Company"

4.0
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Vulcan full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Profit sharing and matching 401k

Cons

Need to allow a better work life balance

Continue reading

"Great team dynamics, really cool projects"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Vulcan full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love the variety of work I am involved in during any given week - no day is ever the same. I love my team, and appreciate the autonomy I have to get my job done, with the right balance of support from my manager. Vulcan offers great perks and benefits, and the pay is really competitive. There are things that I get to do and experience at Vulcan that continue to blow my mind. And I love that I get paid for it!

Cons

I think there is some inconsistency in employee experience based on your team and leader. Some areas seem to have better work/life balance than others - but such is the risk with such a diverse organization working on such different projects. There do seem to be some growing pains with new leaders, but overall I truly believe leadership is doing what is best for the company and employees.

Continue reading

"Top Notch People, Challenging Work Culture"

2.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Vulcan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Paul Allen and team are doing great things in this world and I applaud them. Great pay and benefits. Great training and social outreach programs. The recruiting process is stellar. They spare no expense. Everyone is friendly and I have never felt more valued. On paper, this is an excellent company.

Cons

Once hired, the tone changes. Perks promised were never delivered. It's a 'say yes' culture - 24/7. If you need a work/life balance, don't work here. Communication within the company is very confusing. There's not clear direction or procedures to follow. If you have questions, the managers will tell you 'we're here for you!' They aren't. This is a company of mostly well-meaning, but overworked, employees who live in fear of losing their jobs. If you work here and are feeling overwhelmed, overworked, need a break due to personal or health reasons, or feel bullied by your manager, DON'T GO TO HR. They will fire you and say you're not up to the task. It's a paranoid work environment with an attitude of 'if you can't do it, we'll find someone who will.' I have owned my own company for most of my 25-year career, so giving my all, overdelivering, and working a 50 to 60-hour work week was par for the course. This isn't good enough here. My family described my experience as selling myself into slavery. You need to be SUPER HUMAN, lack empathy, and possess VERY thick skin to work here.

Vulcan Response

November 3, 2017Sr Digital Media Manager

Thanks for the feedback and advice.

"Great perks and enjoyable teams"

I have been working at Vulcan full-time

Pros

Work/life balance, benefits, feeling of contributing to great things happening.

Cons

Very little exposure to upper management.

"LOVE working here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Vulcan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Every day is different, learn new things every day, get to work on projects that change the world and make it better, fun, really great benefits, care about well-being of employees. Intelligent, open-minded, outside-the box thinking employees.

Cons

Pay could be better, incredibly busy 24/7, which can be a plus and a minus, they talk work/life balance but that doesn't really exist for many positions.

Continue reading

"Passionate people and diverse work!"

I have been working at Vulcan full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The passionate people and the diverse work make Vulcan great! Teams collaborate on big projects and ideas. No where else can you celebrate an Oscar nomination to a Super Bowl win. No where else tackled Ebola or contributed to wildlife conservation or developed SLU. I love the people I work with, who jump in when needed, who make me laugh and who challenge me to work hard and learn more on a daily basis.

Cons

Work/Life balance can be a challenge at times but the company works to offset that with great benefits and fun perks. It can be a fast paced environment so you need to be nimble and move quickly when needed.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 18 English Reviews