Walgreens Boots Alliance Employee Reviews about "pharmacist"

Updated 28 Dec 2020

3.3
Walgreens Boots Alliance Chief Executive Officer Roz Brewer
Roz Brewer
Pros
  • "Good pay, good staff and fast paced(in 35 reviews)

• "Staff discount , extra hours available(in 33 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance is non existent(in 20 reviews)

• "Some stores you have nice pharmacist while some will literally drive you to a corner(in 20 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "pharmacist"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Current Employee

My experience

22 Oct 2020 - Pharmacist in Leicester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Organised, helpful, pay is good

Cons

Staffing in some stores is bare bones therefore you go from pharmacist for couple of hours to shop floor assistant for a couple of hours, but it’s okay I guess, all part of the job. Also allows you to advertise your kind personality and stellar clinical knowledge and uplift the boots brand in general :)

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Terrible upper management

28 Dec 2020 - Pharmacy Manager in Portland, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee discount, 41K , medical/dental

Cons

Terrible upper management!! Pharmacist manager had to work under store manager's supervision. Store manager and district manager are not pharmacists but they supervised pharmacists and taught them how to do pharmacist works. They really micromanaged. If they liked you, you would have an easy job. If they didn't like you, they micromanaged and blamed you for everything. Weird company!

3. 3.0
      Current Employee

WBA market pharmacist

12 Oct 2020 - Pharmacist in Farmington, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent benefits and PTO given for FT employees

Cons

Required to travel 50 miles before compensation for traveling pharmacist. Schedule can be changed constantly for traveling Rph. As a Market pharmacist it is hard to communicate with anyone about career movement Within the company.

4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Store Management is not the problem.

16 Jun 2019 - Pharmacist Store Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

A large corporate with decent peer support and some fantastic individuals that work at various levels. The pharmacist managers, or those with pharmacy background are leaving in droves and the workforce is being de-skilled. The non-pharmacist management is highly varied in its capability to lead such a large pharmacy brand - with recent experience being disastrous, but past experience being extremely good. It is obvious to see working day to day on the job. From the outside, its amazing peers and dispensary staff at all levels that keeps most of our local stores afloat. The public may catch on soon. I just hope that the diligent and skilled governance managers working at area and regional level are fighting strongly to maintain a 'pharmacy led' health and beauty aspect of this so-called heritage British institution.

Cons

You are a cog in a huge machine, that is relentlessly marching towards something you ''won't recognise in 10 years'' (#quote from C&D), consequences be damned. The pharmacist forum, internal networking and raising concerns does little to mitigate the damage done to the local population that you serve. To make this sound less harsh, I would like to stress that change, which revitalises a workplace and challenges practice in order to improve the proficiency, professionalism, reputation and future-proofing the pharmacy profession is good. However I am put off by the middle management disregard for genuine (i.e. those that walk the talk) work done on the ground by all the hard working dispensing team.

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Remember Strict Liability and Don't Overwork

20 Jan 2020 - Pharmacist-in-charge in Jackson, MS
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good managers, well developed best practices for efficient work procedures, well-known brand, modern facilities, Fortune 500 company, large network of pharmacies, good technicians kept and valued.

Cons

Working overtime for free unavoidable, but should not be done. Cutthroat competition for all positions, bare-bones operations in terms of clerks and technicians, pharmacists can thrive if work efficiently, have quick hands, can multitask.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A good job

15 Dec 2019 - Warehouse Operative - Boots DSP in Preston, North West England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay Good amount of holidays Flexible hours Great canteen facilities Lots of friendly colleagues

Cons

Age discrimination (especially towards young workers) Hostile 'professional staff '- ACPTs, Pharmacists and Engineers Management can be unfair and often times lack good communication Lots of over ambitious colleagues clinging onto tiny bits of power from extra responsibilities Working environment can be toxic at times especially due to all the cynical attitudes there Training and NVQ attainment is a sluggish and unorganised process (if you aren't full time it's even worse)

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good company to learn from

3 Mar 2020 - Pharmacy Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

As an intern, you learn a lot

Cons

Depending on which store you are at, the experience can turn miserable. Some stores you have nice pharmacist while some will literally drive you to a corner.

8. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Don’t Bother

29 Mar 2019 - Pharmacy Dispenser
      Business Outlook

Pros

I really enjoyed the interview and was looking forward to joining the Company

Cons

I started my new job with Boots as a Pharmacy Dispenser on Monday and left never to return on Thursday evening! Although I am a trained and qualified pharmacy dispenser I was new to Boots. My first day consisted of being left on my own in a small office to go through all the legals on the computer. I wasn’t phased by this as I realised pretty quickly the place was short staffed and I’m a big girl I don’t need babysitting. I had high hopes for Tuesday! Went in only to be taken to a room upstairs and told to dispense weekly prescriptions. There was no equipment and I wasn’t shown where anything was. Anyway, I got on and did it. The afternoon was spent in the dispensary downstairs dispensing prescriptions. Stock was left in boxes and not put away so I had to trawl through loads of stock to find the right meds. This took ages! Has Wednesday off. Went in Thursday only to find I was expected to cover the front of the dispensary with 5 minutes training on systems! Not surprisingly I didn’t do well! Back to trawling through boxes and the pharmacist moaning about being behind!!! Never going back. Don’t work for Boots.

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Got worse at the end

4 Oct 2019 - Pharmacist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good wages and a good staff.

Cons

They wanted to perform tasks that were not for a pharmacist. No support from the store manager

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Work/home life balance

9 Oct 2019 - Pharmacist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedules and good work environment.

Cons

Not enough technician help, too much work overwhelming the pharmacist especially in busy stores

Viewing 1 - 10 of 20 Reviews