Wegmans Food Markets Employee Reviews about "part time"

Updated 18 Jul 2020

Wegmans Food Markets President and CEO  Colleen Wegman
Colleen Wegman
Pros
Cons
  • "Hours may vary for part time employees(in 155 reviews)

• "pay is terrible, the front end (cashier) is a grueling and thankless job(in 67 reviews)

Reviews about "part time"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible schedule, great benefits, 401k, friendly work environment

Cons

Hours may vary for part time employees

2. COVID-19

"Decent Company, unless you're disabled."

Current Employee - Front End Cashier

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1.The people I worked with were mostly nice or at least tolerable. 2.The pay is okay some places pay more but you get two (small) raises per year and they pay every week. 3.Its fairly easy to get small amounts (one or two days) of time off as long as you let them know a week or two ahead of time. 4.Switching departments is easy if you don't have medical disabilities or need medical accommodations.(See cons for more info.) 5.They try to make accommodations for physical disabilities. (See cons for any other disabilities and minor/nonvisible physical disabilities) 6.Management generally takes the employee's side when angry customers try to cause a scene. (Provided that it was the customer that escalated the event and you don't have a track record of causing problems) 7. Their Coronavirus/Covid19 response prioritized the health and safety of employees and they began implementing safety measures as early as the first week of March.

Cons

1.The customers are often very self entitled and it is very taxing trying to serve them especially if there is any actual issue. 2.If you have medical disabilities that they don't already have a policy for they will make it difficult for you to get long term accommodations and will actively punish you if the accommodations are inconvenient for the company. 3. If you need to get accommodations for a disability they will not let you change departments if you will also need accommodations in that department. (This effectively makes it so you cannot advance in the company with the exception of a handful of jobs that you are less likely to get because you cannot train in multiple departments.) 4. They say that they offer health insurance for part-time employees but in truth you can only qualify if you work a certain amount of hours per week and rarely do they actually give anyone enough hours to qualify. It's not even that great insurance either.

3. "Great for students!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Flexible hours -Great first job for those in school -Decent pay for low-skilled job -Scholarship program was very helpful with paying for textbooks, etc. -Management can be very supportive -Time-off

Cons

-Part-time hours vary greatly from week to week -Inconsistent policies/always changing -Management can be quite clique-y

"Customer Service"

I worked at Wegmans Food Markets full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

its great part time if you need a night job

Cons

This is great company but at a point you don't feel that you can grow anymore. Management is subpar , I wish the OG managers didn't leave .

"Wegmans is Great if You Don't Like Healthcare or Making Rent"

Former Employee - Cook III

I worked at Wegmans Food Markets part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working in the Wegmans kitchen is a great way to see if you'd be interested in a more "restaurant-like" environment. It's not quite as fast-paced, but I'd say it's a great start for someone unsure of whether or not they could handle/would enjoy working line.

Cons

Despite the agenda they try to push, moving up in the company is incredibly difficult. I was there for 3 years and applied for multiple promotions only to get told that I didn't qualify because I would've had to work a different (additional) position prior. The storefront I worked at, located in Virginia, also didn't pay me a living wage or give me enough part-time hours to qualify for benefits. After talking to other previous and current employees, this doesn't look like a unique experience. Because their model for promotions requires managers to move up before allowing lower-level and part-time staff to vie for full-time positions. We had one woman who was part of our server staff who had to wait five years before she was considered for a full-time job, and during that time she had no access to healthcare nor did her family. Ultimately, Wegmans doesn't have a business model that works for lower-level employees. I can only recommend working for them if you either a) plan on making a life long career of it (I would've had to work for the company for six years in order to afford a one-bedroom apartment in this area) or b) are in school, living with your parents rent-free, and just trying to gain some experience in the service industry.

Continue reading

"Not Good for Professional Growth"

2.0
    Current Employee - Front End Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-I've found that the majority of coworkers are extremely friendly, and I have personally made some lasting friendships with the people who work there. -Somewhat flexible scheduling

Cons

-I was hired at almost the Federal minimum wage (7.50/hour) and since then they're rate at hire has been increased. However, after six years I was making almost the same as new hires in a lower position (even with the 25 cent raise every six months) because the pay of long-time employees was not adjusted. When other employees brought these concerns to the attention of HR and the area managers, the complaints were largely ignored. Not a good company to work for if you want a good and fair pay. -The company is expanding the services offered to increase convenience for customers such as Instacart and Wegmans2Go with curbside delivery and in-store grocery pick-up. However, these increased responsibilities were passed on to the Front End Coordinating team I was a part of without adjustments to the schedule or the addition of employees. We were now expected to do our previous duties in addition to these services in other areas of the store. This lack of forethought by the store and company to hire more people or adjust the expectations of my position because of the added work made for a very stressful work environment and added daily confusion and communication issues. -The problem with this company that has effected me the most personally is their policy on references and recommendations. The company has a policy that NO recommendations or references are ever allowed, and HR can only verify the dates of employment. As a graduating college student who has been employed at Wegmans since the age of 15 with no prior work experience, this was extremely detrimental to my pursuit for a career in my field of study. When attempting to get an internship with the Federal Government, it was REQUIRED that an Employment Reference form was filled out, which included questions about my personal work ethic. Wegmans refused to answer these questions even when contacted by an investigator working for the Federal government. As someone who has worked at this company for over six years now and has never had any problems with management, this really showed how the company values you as a person. This company really does not care for employees personal and professional development. Definitely DO NOT recommend this company for anyone in high school or college looking to improve their professional experience and increase their network. -Inconsistent scheduling for both part-time and full-time employees outside of the store managers. -I worked at the Customer Service desk for two years and although this is not the fault of the company itself, the way customers treat you so negatively everyday really effects your work and personal life. I would not recommend this position for anyone looking to be happy at work. -I've witnessed the way management regards the Cashiers and Helping Hands (parking lot attendants) as if they have the "easy job" when these are the two most thankless and frustrating positions in the store. -Weekend are difficult to actually have off because Wegmans strives to never have more employees then they think they need: even though management will never be there most weekends of the month. -If you dislike hypocritical leadership and being seen only as an employee and not a person, this is not the company for you.

7. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Wegmans Food Markets part-time

Pros

Good pay for a starting job, friendly co workers and customers.

Cons

On your feet for up to 8 hours at a time with only a few breaks in between. If you are part time your schedule and hours can flucuate a lot from week to week

8. "Be prepared to work"

Former Employee - Front End Coordinator in State College, PA

I worked at Wegmans Food Markets part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good Pay, Flexible (to a point) on schedules, usually work with good people.

Cons

Consistently going over requested hourly limit per week, high customer volume and expectations, poor management communication, the gap between part time and full time staff when it comes to respect, understanding, and willingness to communicate is vast.

9. "Cashier"

5.0
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets part-time

Pros

Good part-time job for students

Cons

working in a retail environment

10. "Great people"

5.0
    Former Employee - Prepared Foods Team Member

I worked at Wegmans Food Markets part-time for more than a year

Pros

Really enjoyed the team atmosphere. For a part time job in college, Wegmans was the best spot.

Cons

For a part time employee, not a ton of cons. During the holidays, schedule could get a little intense.

Found 264 reviews