Western Governors University Reviews

3.9
Western Governors University President Scott D. Pulsipher
Scott D. Pulsipher
Pros
Cons
  • "Cannot work from home when we are an online university(in 39 reviews)

• "low pay for the amount of time you work(in 32 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"Best organization that I've worked at so far"

Current Employee - Program Mentor

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time

Pros

Organization and leadership seems to truly care about its employees (Scott/CEO is especially great! His wisdom and advice during meetings are insightful and caring, he truly does care about his employees and the students attached to WGU).. WGU's response to COVID19 for employees and students was evidence of that. -WFH is wonderful -Mission and everyday efforts makes a true impact to our communities. Being able to help people change their lives is pretty awesome! -I've learned culture means everything as an employee for an org. Not culture from what they say, but what they DO, and so far WGU has proven to have an outstanding culture through their actions. I'm a fairly new employee, and I've been reviewing a lot of the feedback on here prior to my employment to now. I'm not quite sure why there is such a drastic difference in experience from mine vs some others. Perhaps I am lucky on where I landed within WGU? Maybe issues will be revealed later (I will update this feedback if they do) or maybe they were problem employees but now with a vendetta? I only know about my own experience with WGU and in my opinion, in comparison of where I've worked in several large organizations prior to WGU, I can that this is easily the best place that I've worked for thus so far. I've already turned down roles making $20k + more a year strictly because of how much I value my role at WGU and being able to WFH. IF you're concerned as I am/was from reviewing the feedback on here, remember that there are two sides to every story.

Cons

Mentor SLA's and KPIs are my biggest concern with WGU at this moment. Mentors are evaluated on stats (KPI) and SLA's that are widely out of their control. I hope WGU revamps this as it seems like the current KPI's were introduced without knowing of how to measure a PM's performance. Because mentors performance are determined by their students success (or failure), it means that a PM's evaluation seems to be based off of luck (if you're lucky to have a good batch of successful students/unlucky with a batch of poor students), WGU could be potentially losing a great employee or keeping a toxic/poor employee simply because of the luck factor stemming from improperly measuring PMs performance. I am hoping for advancement opportunities at WGU. Judging by my own experience, I haven't been asked anything about my future ambitions within WGU, which is surprising because I'm wanting to grow & develop within WGU. I'm hoping that the feedback that I've read from others regarding movement within WGU is no longer valid, but right now, I'm not sure. I will update this review as time goes on to share any new insights.

Western Governors University Response

June 24, 2020People & Talent

Thank you for your well-thought-out and detailed review! We are very happy that you are here with us and would love to hear more about your thoughts and how we can improve at people@wgu.edu. Your insight is essential to us as an organization so we can continue learning and figuring out areas of improvement for all our employees. We could not be where we are today without our amazing team! Thank you again.

2. "Great place to work"

IT Service Desk in Salt Lake City
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Western Governors University

Pros

Awesome benefits, flexible work environment, nice co-workers and incentives to learn. The opportunities that WGU has provided me over the years have allowed me to continue my education and allow me to grow not only as an employee but as a person.

Cons

Some of the management seemed unorganized. Although the business goal was clear, communication between middle management and the workers seemed to be missing. This allowed some processes to not be followed correctly which ultimately results in confusion and uncertainty.

3. "Love it!"

Current Employee - Program Mentor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time for more than a year

Pros

This will depend partially on your manager but personally, I love my team and my manager. I can tell that they care about my wellbeing and are extremely supportive. Having the flexibility to adjust my hours sometimes is also nice.

Cons

The hardest part has been going from a higher paying, management role, back to the bottom of the latter but it seems like there are quite a few opportunities to advance if you put in the effort.

4. "Course Instructor - Accounting"

Current Employee - Course Instructor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time

Pros

Hours are flexible; Can create own schedule

Cons

The required turnaround time to answer emails is 24-48 hours

5. "Great environment with lots of autonomy"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time for less than a year

Pros

I appreciate the overall positivity and leadership of WGU. I come from a very different environment and have enjoyed how they seem to focus and reward employees across the board.

Cons

Salary progression will come with promotions, not raises. Raises are typically standardized around 2-3%.

6. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Smart, friendly people to work with. Everyone has a student focus so makes the mission of the school easy to focus on. Great work from home situation.

Cons

It can be hard to get promoted due to many internally talented people.

Continue reading
  7. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - IT Service Desk Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Tuition discount Pay for certifications Competitive pay Great benefits

Cons

None that I can think of.

8. "Good Company to work for"

I worked at Western Governors University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, everyone willing to help

Cons

Top heavy organization with a lot of politics

9. "great"

Current Employee - Mentor in Home Gardens, CA

Pros

great fun super outstanding excellent

Cons

none none none none none

"Wonderful Organization!"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time

Pros

Amazing people to work with. They definitely take care of the employee first.

Cons

Processes take awhile because it is all remote.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 790 English Reviews