Whitbread Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 10 Mar 2020

3.3
Whitbread Chief Executive Officer Alison Brittain
Alison Brittain
Pros
  • "good working environment, great people to work with(in 22 reviews)

• "If you want to work with nice people in a known name it can give you that(in 20 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Excellent support - not perfect Life balance."

Current Employee - General Manager in Brighton, England

I have been working at Whitbread full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent support to achieve your own personal career potential as well as support to meet your kpi’s in your job role.

Cons

Work life balance isn’t perfect but what company ín hospitality really can provide that.

2. "Supportive company for individual growth"

4.0
    Current Employee - Hotel Manager in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Whitbread full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good progression and career opportunities.

Cons

Work-life balance is terrible.

3. "Good place to work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Hotel Manager

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great team ethic. Good recognition and clear targets

Cons

work / life balance is hard to maintain

4. "Great place to work.. until new GM"

Former Employee - Play Area Team Leader
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people. Great work life balance. Tips kept as your own. Great benefits with Premier Inns around the country. I came in originally as a Team Member and within 5 months was promoted to Team Leader. I really enjoyed my time at the Brewers Fayre, was there just a month shy of 2 years. I worked within the Play Area and enjoyed every minute of it. That was until we got a new GM. Them and I did not particularly see eye to eye. Felt as though I was pushed out the door. Handing my notice to them and was told "I was expecting this to be honest." I couldn't believe it. I really do miss working there. I'd go back tomorrow if the current GM was not.

Cons

I didn't really feel there was any.

5. "Brilliant company"

Current Employee - Hotel Manager in Nottingham, England

I have been working at Whitbread full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great training and progression, excellent bonus scheme for senior management, scope to transfer internally, senior roles have better than average work life balance for hospitality industry.

Cons

- Team member retention can be low. Mostly due to hourly pay not being competitive enough. - labour model is very tight

"Think twice"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Whitbread full-time

Pros

Some nice people. Good work-life balance. But outweighed by the negatives.

Cons

The revolving door of people is nothing new. The work is unfulfilling, technology is mostly outdated and slow progress is being made. Minds are fixed and you are very limited in what you can do in every sense. It takes a toll. Recruitment keep promoting it as an amazing place to work despite the feedback and leavers.

November 13, 2019Digital Content Manager

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave your review. Working in the hospitality industry can be demanding, but we recognise it's important to get the right balance between challenging and impossible. In order to help us make real changes to our business, we’d really appreciate the chance to talk to you further about this – just drop us a line at glassdoorreviews@whitbread.com

"A ship that needs turning"

Former Employee - Commercial Analyst in Dunstable, England

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

• The work-life balance is very good • The people are genuinely very nice. Much nicer than in most FTSE companies, it is a different culture and a positive one • The bonus structure is quite generous although base pay is lagging the industry – the overall comp is probably just about in line

Cons

• While the people are very nice there is, in my opinion, a lack of top talent at the company. There are very few employees from top universities and this is even more true at senior grades and, unfortunately, it shows with the quality of work produced around the business. • There is a very ‘if your face fits’ culture. Some junior employees enjoy promotions they probably don’t deserve while higher quality employees get glossed over. They don’t take the time to explain why a junior employee is promoted so rapidly and there are no performance metric to justify the decision. Unfortunately, from my position, it does often look like more senior men are promoting junior men who remind them of them. Which in turn means glossing over high performing women. • Senior management is woefully poor. I really wanted to write that senior management is outstanding but, unfortunately, I can’t. Alison, the CEO, has a background in finance not hospitality and the lack of experience is apparent. The entire board seem to be out of ideas to the extent that they are looking at innovations of, historically, much poorer competitors to see what changes can be made at Premier Inn. It’s a sorry state of affairs. • Due to the above factors the company has endured a very tough year and this looks set to continue in the medium term. The company feels rudderless in what is a very buoyant market.

November 13, 2019Digital Content Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, and giving a thorough review. As a company we are always looking to improve to give our people the best possible experience when growing their career with us. We’ve thrived for 277 years by listening to our people and building the business around them. However, without critical information, we aren't able to offer comment or investigate further. Please email glassdoorreviews@whitbread.com and give us the best opportunity to use your insight to help us understand and implement any required changes to the way we work.

"Career stagnation"

Current Employee - Developer
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Whitbread full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very nice people (most of them are leaving) and very good work-life balance. Flexible hours and good office location.

Cons

Very old, outdated technologies. Company not open for innovation, so many empty promises, most of the good people are leaving. Lack of communication between stakeholders and teams. If you want to learn and develop look somewhere else otherwise your career will get stagnated.

November 13, 2019Digital Content Manager

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave your review. In order to help us make real changes to our business, we’d really appreciate the chance to talk to you further about this – just drop us a line at glassdoorreviews@whitbread.com and give us the best opportunity to use your insight to help us understand and implement any required changes to the way we work.

9. "Bad support/ empty promises."

2.0
    Former Employee - Deputy General Manager in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good progression when the right general manager is in place Good company discounts Good holiday allowance Meet some great people through conferences/ going to other sites

Cons

Felt pushed out for being female manager Unclear site targets that change so often it’s hard to keep up with Awful work life balance Being told in end of year review what you’ve need to be doing rather than supporting throughout the year- telling team what they should’ve/ could’ve done in advance to achieve results- cuts bonuses. General manager only looks out for himself and his close circle.

November 13, 2019Digital Content Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, as a company we are always looking to improve to give our people the best possible experience when growing their career with us. However, without critical information, we aren't able to offer comment or investigate further. We’ve thrived for 277 years by listening to our people and building the business around them. Please email glassdoorreviews@whitbread.com and give us the best opportunity to use your insight to help us understand and implement any required changes to the way we work.

"Slow and painful"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than a year

Pros

good work / life balance

Cons

very slow, code convergence that never finishes, full of contractors, blame culture, legacy systems, burocracy

November 14, 2019Digital Content Manager

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. The hospitality industry is demanding and competitive which we know can be hard. We hope that our teams are able to strike the right balance and will do all we can to support this. Regarding your concerns about the Digital office - if you email us at glassdoorreviews@whitbread.com with a bit more detail we can use your feedback to make real changes.

Found 36 reviews