White Stuff Reviews

Updated 25 Jan 2021

3.1
White Stuff CEO  Jo Jenkins  (no image)
Jo Jenkins
Pros
Cons
  • "The head office though didn't seem to recognise what was happening inside the stores(in 20 reviews)

• "Area Managers aren't people focused(in 12 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "White stuff"

Current Employee - Customer Host in Bridgwater, England

I have been working at White Stuff part-time for less than a year

Pros

great clothes, friendly colleagues, free uniform

Cons

working weekends, unregular and last minute rotas,

"An amazing start to a career in VM where pattern was key"

Former Employee - Freelance Illustrator & Designer in Reading, England

I worked at White Stuff part-time

Pros

Loved working with the Whitestuff brand at a shop level Understanding customer needs and wants from the brand

Cons

my time was cut short due to moving away

"Great small company"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Oldham, England

I worked at White Stuff part-time

Pros

Small contact centre with a lovely environment.

Cons

Management not very professional with some of their behaviours.

January 25, 2021Recruitment Partner

Thank you for taking the time to contribute a review of your experience at White Stuff. It is great to read the positive feedback about your time with us. However, we are always looking to improve so feel free to drop us a line at people.stuff@whitestuff.com to detail any concerns you had during your time with us. Thanks again!

4. COVID-19

"Overall good"

Former Employee - Customer Host

I worked at White Stuff part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good and easy going team Store discount

Cons

Minimum wage Little hours given Made redundant due to Covid

"Great to start but cuts made it difficult"

Former Employee - Customer Host Supervisor in London, England

I worked at White Stuff part-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing store teams, great staff discount

Cons

Expected to work ridiculous amounts of overtime and be fully flexible when they need you but otherwise basic contract hours. Redundancies, recruitment bans and cutting of base hours made it difficult to complete any tasking and deliveries so forced to work late

January 25, 2021Recruitment Partner

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your openness and rest assured we really do try to improve based on all the feedback we receive. We are sorry to hear this has been your experience at White Stuff, we take the wellbeing of our colleagues seriously and we encourage you to reach out the People Team (peoplestuff@whitestuff.com) to discuss you concerns. They will be able to give you some context and detail around some of the decisions that have been made and why we have had to make those difficult calls. It has been a tough year for all in retail with everyone working hard to maintain stability in a tough climate. We recognise and value the commitment and efforts from our teams as we work together to create a strong future for our business and our employees.

6. "Great place and culture"

Former Employee - Deputy Manager in Nottingham, England

I worked at White Stuff full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lovely team and values of company

Cons

Lots of change at HQ so clarity and direction was sometimes lost

7. COVID-19

"The business still runs, but barely. We are so much better than this."

1.0
    Current Employee - Store Manager in London, England

I have been working at White Stuff full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great team rapport amongst staff: - We really are each others work family and this is the one thing that has held out throughout the last year. - A minority of HQ staff that do work really hard to help and support stores 50% discount - Unlimited generous full price discount (although we can't use at the moment, but anyone with a bluelight card can get 50% off....) Uniform allowance still remains - Still okay for management but we are yet to "work" a full allowance period This list used to be as long as my arm, but truly they are the only things left now.

Cons

Unfortunately this list has gotten too long to not upload. We know that writing this will achieve nothing, other than a generated people team response asking us to email them, but there is no other outlet available to voice just how bad things have gotten. I would never contact senior leadership directly, as this is currently where the problem lies, and when people do stand up and try to be vocal they just get swept under the rug or fobbed off with a "it's on the pad" response. Reduced salaries and hours - Whilst we understand the reasoning behind this process, and can see the need to protect the business, you cannot reduce management contracts down and expect the previous goalposts and results to be met. - These hours have been reduced past the point of viable, there's no amount of "educating the customer" that can replace the White Stuff service experience that we are known and loved for. This is why we are failing to produce the same turnover as our competitors. - We cannot do our jobs. There is no management aspect, no policy or procedures being delivered, we are literally putting the key in the door and using the till. If you're wanting to trade shops for 8.5-9 hours a day, but we can only work 7 what is the expectation here? Unrealistic expectations from HQ/AM/Retail team - Forced (prolonged) lone working despite several incidents that prove this is unfeasible. This affects all managers and customer host supervisors. Not all CHS are at a level (through no fault of their own), to be able to lone trade and feel safe to do so. You can have a 18 year old CHS, or a 58 year old CHS who both feel equally unsupported, and we as managers have no resources to help explain or train them for this situation. - Workload is again something we understand is very subject to change currently. There is no denial on the stores side that we will know everything that is going to happen, but when the "unprecedented" does happen, we are left in the dark until the last minute and are then expected to execute unrealistic amounts of work with unrealistic resources. New HQ team brought in under new head of shops/CEO - Has a purely web based focus, meaning stock is not in shops and therefore we're alienating our core customer from the off - Stores are not given the correct dispatch/launch dates and are constantly having to change plans around to work around the dribble of product that is making it's way to us. Stock Surgeries helped with this over the Autumn, but to receive an updated delivery schedule 4/5 times a week is impossible to plan with given limited staffing. Head of shops - Claims to have come up the ranks from the shop floor, but seems to have lost all visibility on what decisions look like on a shop floor level - Emphasis on "educating the customer" on new ways of shopping, i.e. not taking cash because of the "pandemic" when this is just another way to cost cut. - Dates of major promo activities change up to 4 times the week prior and with a days notice. Sale date for Christmas was a disaster. We are under NO illusions that things change, but cannot ask the impossible of already stretched teams. Significant lack/clarity/consistency of communication in all aspects of the business - This results in a complete bottleneck situation and information being handed down sometimes third hand - Area managers choose which comms to give and this results in mass disparity over the areas, senior management seem to think that information is a luxury not a right. - This is CHs biggest issue, this means being unable to plan anything in a very stressful time. And managers having to explain we have no more information than they do. We cannot support our teams, and there is nobody supporting us. Welfare - Massive lack of COVID check in with the retail team. We've had 0 comms, not even a "we're all in it together hope you're okay" - Mental health first aiders seemed to be the in thing last year, but have been nowhere to be seen on the "front line" This list is extensive and will be the same whichever retail area/store/team you speak to. The point of this is to not dwell on this, but to publicly highlight that we need to make changes and move forward together. We all want this brand to succeed, but when you have managers that would rather seek out redundancy than continue service, something has gone wrong.

8. COVID-19

"Didn’t think it could get worse but it has"

1.0
    Current Employee - Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at White Stuff full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My team of 5 amazing people.

Cons

Lone trading means I couldn’t even go to the toilet yesterday for 2 hours unless I ask customers to leave. I had a 10 minute break as my elderly customer host was nervous of being left alone. Worked over my contract. Can’t leave the shop from 9am - 5:30pm. Worked nearly 8.5 hours, paid for 7. Have been told “we’re all in this together” by my line manager who worked from home yesterday. I’d understand if this was the middle of January, but it’s December and my shop is busy. No support from my AM with hours despite asking several times. Deliveries, Covid cleaning, open changing rooms, customer service and dealing with many online refunds are all being done with a 4 hour shift and one manager.

December 9, 2020Recruitment Partner

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your openness and rest assured we really do try to improve based on all the feedback we receive. We are sorry to hear that this has been your experience at White Stuff, we take the wellbeing of our colleagues seriously and we encourage you to reach out the People Team (peoplestuff@whitestuff.com) to discuss your concerns.

9. "Great company, doing the right thing"

Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at White Stuff full-time

Pros

Great people Lovely office environment

Cons

Location isn’t great but now flexible working in place

10. "Great brand with lots of opportunity"

Former Employee - Head of Marketing and Communications in London, England

I worked at White Stuff full-time

Pros

International, digital and wholesale expansion opportunities make it an exciting brand to work on.

Cons

Shops a big part of the business which is challenging in current times.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 229 English Reviews