Whittard Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Mark Dunhill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Gain lots of knowledge on tea and coffee (in 14 reviews)

• The freebies are good once every two weeks and a generous staff discount (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Head Office speak over the heads of sales advisors a lot, as if we aren't worthy of being spoken to (in 30 reviews)

• minimum wage even for central london location (in 16 reviews)

1. "Time for tea"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Whittard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic people excellent product. What's not to love. The work life balance is excellent and head office care about their staff. We get to taste tea/coffee/ hot chocolate. As with any retail job you can be busy but if you love a great quality product then it should not be a chore.

Cons

Only con I have is having to travel for events but there is always fun at the other end that makes up for it.

2. "Wage and expectations were a joke"

Former Employee - Deputy Manager in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Deputy Manager in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Whittard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pros of working there were the free coffee and tea, and the discount of course.

Cons

Looking back, the wage as a deputy manager was an absolute joke. Nobody could live with that kind of money and have that many responsibilities. Even my manager was not getting even close to what a retail manager normally gets. They expect you to work extra and have it unpaid, just because you have that position. But really, for the miserable pay it's really not worth it.

HQ were also so inconsiderate of the efforts we made as the only stores that counted were the ones in London, any others that did well were never rewarded.

Advice to Management

Do not let HQ people step on your feet, ask for more pay if you think you're worth it and be aware of the fact that any other company would pay you more for what you do there.

3. "Mostly great, but it depends on your manager."

Current Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at Whittard part-time

Pros

Staff allowance is great - every fortnight you get to take home a free full-size product within varying specifications.

It's a nice place to work, and you get to drink the product during the day (so long as not on the shop floor, though this depends on how strict the branch manager is).

Friendly colleagues, and most customers are pretty nice, too.

Small shop, so it's fairly easy to manage all stock and catch shop-lifters if they do turn up.

Cons

Way too much paperwork. We ask customers to take an e-receipt to save paper when we waste so much through paperwork which could easily be done on computers. Every day we're filling out multiple sections in up to three different folders, plus some things on the computer.

Head Office speak over the heads of sales advisors a lot, as if we aren't worthy of being spoken to.

Staff Christmas party is forced to be during January, and the budget per person is measly £12.50.

Tiny stock room, it's very hard to organise and we often have too much stock to comfortably fill it.

No door and terrible heating, so it's freezing during colder days!

5. "worst company to work for"

Current Employee - Deputy Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Deputy Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Whittard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

allowance twice a month ( but limited within 3 options of their choice)

Cons

horrible head office, do not care about their staff, let managers get away with anything even bullying as long as they make money

Advice to Management

learn people management skills.

"It...pays"

I worked at Whittard full-time

Pros

Busy all the time, keeps you on your feet
    International customers

Cons

They will work you long and hard
    Pay is incommensurate to work

"Underhanded, over confident and wrong direction"

I worked at Whittard (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free product, store teams, 1 of the HO is alright, and 1 of the area managers is great

Cons

Other area managers are fools. Very clique-y company with little commercial sense. I know they are trying but there cognitive dissonance is rife and they will only try and back up their own (unfortunately wrong) opinions... biggest thing to watch for is the catty, un-professionalism that is also unfortunately rife.

Advice to Management

Experience is great, but if it keeps taking you down the wrong path, then start to distrust it.

"The entitlement to review"

Pros

friendly and engaging atmostphere yeah

Cons

size of workplace really affects working atmostphere

Advice to Management

keep it smooth like honey

9. "A beautiful brand with exciting growth plans"

I have been working at Whittard part-time

Pros

- A gorgeous brand with excellent quality product which I am proud to sell
    - Enthusiastic team-working environment

Cons

- Instore training needs to be improved for those new to the business

"Dreadful Management experience"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor

I worked at Whittard part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Generally a nice store environment
     - Friendly co-workers
     - Mostly good products

Cons

- Achieving targets put above everything else.
     - Pressure to achieve, as well as extra responsibilities put on sales advisors, not reflective in pay.
    - Nine hour days due to an unpaid manditory hour lunch break.
    - Having to close at 8pm, instead of employing more staff to help close earlier.
    - Manipulative and bullying cluster manager .
    - The above causing high staff turnover, including that of managers.

I was asked if I would apply for assistant manager. It took them two and half months to give me an answer, in the the meantime I was going above and beyond my duties as a sales advisor, running the store, conducting interviews, writing reports, stock takes, going in on my days off to help colleagues close/open the store... etc. Before I had been given an answer regarding my application, my colleague who I had trained to be sales advisor at the store, was promoted above me as a supervisor (after a month of employment!), undermining and humiliating me. A week later I was told by my area manager that I had not been successful, the icing on the cake being I would not receive a promotion to supervisor either, despite being at the store for over a year!

Advice to Management

When you run company as cut throat as this one its not surprising it attracts like minded individuals. Clearly all they care about is profit and turnover... and not their staff on the ground.

"A long timer and still love it."

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Whittard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Personally for me I work with a great team and have a fantastic manager. I have been with the company for over a decade and have seen it through many changes. But the latest have been some of the best. The company is definitely on the way up in terms of employee benefits and support. The company seem to be really working hard at bridging the gap between stores and HO and are continuously working towards improving communication and employee retention.

Cons

If you want a easy ride then this won’t be the right fit. Whittard is a premium brand and desires staff to reflex that. The work level is high and intense but it’s worth it for job satisfaction. Paperwork is on the heavy side but that too is being addressed. I don’t agree with some reviews higher management are not ‘snakes’ they work unbelievably hard and only ask you to fulfil your job role and support them as they support you. Firm but fair!

Advice to Management

Keep talking to us and getting our feedback it seems to be working well and bringing the company together as a successful team.