William Hill "shops" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

William Hill Employee Reviews about "shops"

Updated 20 Nov 2019

2.7
William Hill CEO Ulrik Begntsson
Ulrik Begntsson
Pros
  • "Flexible working hours between shop staff(in 45 reviews)

• "Generally flexible working hours, may vary by location/shops needs(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours weekend shifts boring when slow(in 95 reviews)

• "Shifts were not very flexible so there isn’t a good work-life balance(in 64 reviews)

Reviews about "shops"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "."

Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Amesbury, England

I have been working at William Hill full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great customer interaction in some shops

Cons

Work late and weekends nearly all of them

Advice to Management

Sort opening hours

William Hill2019-11-20
  2. "Good Overall"

Current Employee - CEA

I have been working at William Hill part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good customers when working in good shops

Cons

Very lonely work when opening or closing shops

William Hill2019-11-01
  3. "Easy job but can be a headache"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Assistant in London, England

I have been working at William Hill part-time for more than a year

Pros

Relatively simple job if you just want a short term job rather than a career. Travel card zone 1-6 is great value if you work 5 days (25 hours minimum). Can meet interesting customers. Generally flexible working hours, may vary by location/shops needs

Cons

Breaks can be hard to setup as you'll often find yourself without a cashier if you're managing, often leading to a long shift without a break. Due to the nature of the job, not all customers you'll meet will be nice.

William Hill2019-09-01
  4. "A once great business that has now lost its way due to senior management failing to engage with the government"

Former Employee - Area Operations Manager in Manchester, England

I worked at William Hill full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people who work in the shops are the best people in the business Being able to recruit and develop people The flexibility Meeting customers Engaging in local communities

Cons

Senior people too far removed from day to day operations and not prepared to get close Instability (across the industry) caused by a lack of due to a collective burying of heads in the sand Lack of transparency with important decisions Encouraged open communication but this was not the case Poor approach to pay reviews Cost lines constantly reviewed and planned budgets cut

Advice to Management

Let someone else have a go

William Hill2019-09-26
  5. "CEM / Relief / CEA / Retail"

Current Employee - CEM/Relief in Preston, North West England, England

I have been working at William Hill full-time for less than a year

Pros

For me working in William Hill has been Brilliant right from the off, to begin with the guys training me have been excellent. They equipped me mentally and physically for everything I was about to do and they was really easy to talk too. I started in one of our smaller shops and got along great with customers, they became really good friends and some almost felt like family, many didn’t want me to leave when I transitioned to a relief position. Relief is a whole new game, each day I can be in a different shop helping a different team and having a laugh with a different set of customers. I feel the opportunities are endless within William Hill, providing you are prepared to work towards them and prove yourself like in most respectable companies. I feel very rewarded in my role and have had many colleagues reach out to me and tell me how much they appreciate me and that makes me really happy knowing that people care. My next goal in William Hill is to transition to shop manager, carry on learning, smash targets create an awesome/happy shop team and prove myself worthy of a BPM position, and so on, unless I come across a different / equally exciting / rewarding opportunity within the company.

Cons

Off the top of my head I can’t say I find any cons working for William Hill, I believe when everyone enjoys and is doing their job properly then everything ticks really smooth. I have spoken with management once regarding a specific issue and it was dealt with immediately. Managers get really busy and if they don’t know something is up or that you may need assistance with something then there is little or nothing they can do, so if you have any issues then just go ahead and book a meeting in with your BPM asap.

Advice to Management

Carry on doing a great job.

William Hill2019-03-16
  6. "customer experience manager, formerly deputy manager"

Former Employee - Deputy Manager in London, England

I worked at William Hill full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Easy job once you learn it, no boss around so pretty much left to your own devices. certain shops can get good tips.

Cons

A bit of a brain dead job, have to be able to handle some of the abuse you may get. Late finishes if thats not for you.

Advice to Management

Be realistic

William Hill2019-03-06

"Customer Service"

I worked at William Hill full-time

Pros

Plenty of overtime available if willing to travel to different shops in area. Very high turnover so easy to come across progression opportunities.

Cons

Paid minimum wage to work in potentially hostile and violent environment. Poor management and overall communication. Majority of the time you are sat behind a glass screen doing nothing. Worked 14hr shifts many days in a row sometimes without breaks as no staff available. No freedom with holiday, cannot book one day off when you need it, only a week at a time could be taken which had to be scheduled 6 months in advance. No routine. No set responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Scrap and start again.

William Hill2019-01-31

"Cashier"

I have been working at William Hill part-time

Pros

The people that you work with in the shops are actually nice people... well some of them...

Cons

The BPM's are idiots, the customers always want to fight when something goes wrong, FOBT machines are the devil and ruin peoples lives, again BPM's are dumb idiots who keep messing with my pay and hours. Long hours, rubbish job prospects, anyone thinking of applying don't. Let the company fall to ground due to their lack of staff. You'll need to be councilor for the customers, a whipping boy for upper management who again are stupid. Honestly stay away from the company at all costs.

Advice to Management

Tell the BPM's to first get to know it's employees instead of talking to us like we're idiots. I'm an Engineering student and this job felt like I was losing brain cells just looking out of a window waiting for time to tick. It's a crap job stop giving us rubbish

William Hill2018-05-24
  9. "Find the company ok at a District level but this is due to having an exceptional AOM."

Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at William Hill part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent flexibility of shifts so good for students or parents who prefer nights and weekend working. Depending on the shop you are assigned to the work will not be onerous and the shift will be spent chatting to customers or workmates. In very quiet shops it’s possible to study or read, watch tv etc.

Cons

The new BPM role is intrusive for managers. Constant interference and loss of control over the working environment means most managers are disengaged. Can be very long hours and you have to deal with angry or violent customers. If you end up in a busy shop your shift will be non stop and stressful.

Advice to Management

Clarify the BPM role. What’s the point in having managers if you don’t allow them to manage?

William Hill2018-03-22
  10. "A tough place to work but an alright place overall"

I have been working at William Hill part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people I worked with were great and very accommodating. It's perfect for students because the shifts are relatively flexible so you can fit work around your schedule. The pay isn't great but its not the worst either and you don't have stand like most retail shops.

Cons

Customers can be nasty and the company does nothing to prevent and deter antisocial behaviour. Conditions in the shops aren't always the best for the employee's side of things. Job requires you to be on alert all the time which can be stressful.

Advice to Management

After a while the job gets easier and you get promoted to manager relatively quickly, which pays a little bit more.

William Hill2018-02-09