XLN Reviews

Updated 11 May 2021

2.8
XLN CEO Neil Conaghan
Neil Conaghan
Pros
  • "Monthly drinks and free breakfast once a week(in 26 reviews)

• "As a department manager now myself, I know for a fact that through hard work and a good attitude you can get places in this company(in 14 reviews)

• Cons
  • "If you want to keep your job then jump through hoops and avoid eye contact with senior members of staff(in 8 reviews)

• "Team Leaders and Managers on the floor basically do nothing except walk around the desks and say "SELL SELL SELL(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years
      Featured Review

Good Company

13 Oct 2020 - Head of Department in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good company to work for if you have a good attitude.

Cons

Nothing particular comes to mind.

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good

29 Mar 2021 - Broadband Specialist in Calcutta
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work culture & great team work

Cons

Work pressure in on the higher side

3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Would not recommend

15 Apr 2021 - Account Manager in Sheffield, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Staff are really friendly and helpful

Cons

Started as a customer service job with bonus if you wanted to pitch on calls and got sales. This changed massively and it was all about sales. Expected to pitch on every single call and if not you were marked down on quality and this could affect commission. Commission used to be reasonable and helped offset the really low base wage (minimum wage for your age for 40 hours a week). This was changed and high targets were set up instead. There was no training to help staff if they did not have sales experience. If you did not achieve these sales you were threatened with a progress plan and record of conversations leaving staff worried for their job security Commission is not done in an accurate way and sales were frequently missed off if you did not keep track yourself. The work atmosphere used to be positive and happy but this has changed drastically. You are made to feel bad if you leave on time and Expected to come to meetings before work with no pay or time back. If you got stuck on a call and went passed finishing time you were very lucky to get it as time back. There is nothing in place to protect staff from abusive customers. I have seen staff crying at there desks due to the verbal threats from customers and even some who have experienced sexual harassment on calls and you still cannot give a warning or even end the call. There is no support from management even when you ask for it, they are expected to take calls whenever possible. This leaves a lot of staff stuck on difficult calls and no one senior to ask.

XLN Response

HR

Hi there, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us detailed feedback - it's so important in helping us to create the best working environment we can. I'm really sorry to hear that your experience with us worsened over time. As a fast-paced, sales-driven organisation, working at XLN can be challenging. However, we pride ourselves on providing exceptional training and management support - so it's always a concern when any employee feels under-equipped to deal with the challenges of the job. I must also note that your point about not having anything in place to support staff dealing with abusive customers isn't true. We do have systems in place, shaped over many years, that we try to constantly monitor and improve. These are built precisely to protect staff - and it's regrettable that you didn't benefit from these. In light of that, it would be really helpful if you were willing to have a confidential discussion with me, just to get a clearer understanding of your experiences. You can email me at shamilla.zahid@xlntelecom.co.uk if that sounds OK, and I'll arrange a call. Otherwise, I wish you all the very best for the future. Shamilla

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Do not apply

24 Mar 2021 - Broadband Support Advisor in Sheffield, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Leaving was the only pro

Cons

Hours, Management, Work-Life Balance, Training ... basically everything

Continue reading
      4 people found this review helpful
    5. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Could be a great company to work for if Senior Leadership was better

22 Mar 2021 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great opportunities for growth People you work with are nice people Nice office space

Cons

Not getting paid when promoted - you have to prove yourself first (despite having worked a lot to get to that position) Made to feel like you owe the company everything for being promoted and when you stick up for yourself, you are told that you should be grateful the company believed in you Senior Leadership (specifically C suite and Directors) lead through fear and that is the only way they get people to perform. Meetings with senior leadership are belittling - if you are not the target of ridicule that day, then your colleague sat next to you is.

Continue reading
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work and progress

25 Mar 2021 - Provisioning Manager in Sheffield, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been at xln for over 3 and half years, as provisioning performance advisor the Sheffield office. Since joining XLN I have had opportunities to progress within the company and develop my skills, more recently I have moved in to a team leader role. If you have the hunger to develop and progress the opportunities are there. The management who have helped me progress have been fantastic and helped me along the way. If you show you want to learn and progress and have the motivation to work hard. XLN is the place to be. Over the recent Covid pandemic XLN have made sure staff are safe to come in the office and made sure the supports is there for anyone wanting to work from home whilst at the same time helping thousands of businesses

Cons

Nothing that comes to mind

7. 5.0
      Former Employee

Job

11 May 2021 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really nice place to work

Cons

V Nothing comes to mind

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Compacy to work for

6 May 2021 - Project Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great management support Growth within the company Diverse & dynamic workforce Loved the working environment

Cons

No cons, enjoyed working there

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Progression

7 May 2021 - Sales Agent in Sheffield, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Uncapped commission scheme based on how much you sell

Cons

Cold calling can get really annoying

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company for Work For

12 Jan 2021 - Software Engineer in Sheffield, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The job itself is great if you wish to progress, and excel in your career. No question is considered stupid and there's a real sense of care from the management, and seniors within the department. The junior members of the team are looked after, and are led to flourish. There's a key focus on promoting within which is a good driving factor, and is a great place for someone fresh out of University to learn new skills, and help grow as an individual. The technology stack used is quite wide spread, so there's something for everyone, and is great for people that like to get their hands dirty with different technologies. Each member of the department has the ability to put forward technology decisions, so anyone can suggest improvements or new features and these are always taken into consideration, so it’s a good place for individuals who like to implement new technologies. Prior to National Lock-down , the business had a good focus on social events, like department outings, and end-of month gatherings which is a great time to meet others from around the business that you usually wouldn't meet.

Cons

Can sometimes be stressful, but this would be no different with other jobs of a similar nature.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 209 Reviews