Xero Reviews

Updated 12 May 2021

4.3
Xero CEO Steve Vamos
Steve Vamos
Pros
  • "Work life balance is amazing, no overtime(in 47 reviews)

• "Collaborate culture and super flexible work environment(in 35 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Maybe the middle management (team lead) is a bit weak in management skills(in 22 reviews)

• "Global head office in NZ and a lot of functions in(in 16 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Incredible place to work

12 Oct 2020 - Manager in Wellington, Wellington
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Genuine caring colleagues (right from CEO down), especially evident during COVID - Great culture of team work - Growing fast, it's exciting with lots changing - Best office technology I've ever worked with - Ownership culture - people just get on with it - Flexibility to work as you choose - Fair pay and share bonus scheme, plus loads of employee discounts (I got 30% off a TV!, 50% off insurance) - Comfortable office environment (and support for working from home)

Cons

- There's a lot to learn

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A beautiful organisation who truly care about their people

3 Mar 2021 - Product Owner in Auckland, Auckland
      Business Outlook

Pros

- fantastic open, friendly and laidback culture - feel good company with so many positive vibes all over the place, lots of incredible people spreading uplifting energy - working with some of the most talented and intelligent, hard working people in the industry - in house coffee barista, very generous friday socials (lots of food and drinks) - daily gratitude and global wellbeing slack channels ! - open and transparent management team - growing on a global scale - flexible working arrangements - management truly care about people's wellbeing and are very genuine, share their personal lives, very easy to relate to - even the CEO and higher management are very personable - solid company vision and strategy, great mission to help small businesses and make the world a better place - bonus scheme via shares (which are very strong performing) - massive emphasis on the values all the time - customers, empathy, beautiful experiences, etc. - huge focus on equality, diversity, inclusion, those kind of things. - very mature product management and engineering practices. lots of bright minds making things better all the time - great work life balance - opportunity to work in global offices- uk, nz, aus, canada, south africa, us etc - market leader and everyone knows the brand and says great things about it.

Cons

not really a con, but it's a big and complex organisation that's pretty fast paced. Lots of information and communication to process all the time since it's a global company that's in a growth phase. It can be quite overwhelming the amount of comms there is, and how many business areas and product teams there are, especially as it's constantly growing. So it requires you to be comfortable with constant change and fast paced work.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great culture with a focus on the future

18 Apr 2021 - Engineering Manager in Canberra
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's fantastic working for a company that actually lives its values. There are constant challenges, and a lot changes in a short amount of time, however at its core Xero really cares about its staff as the foundation of making the future successful. I keep telling friends how wonderful it is to work in a company that asks "how can we make that happen?" rather than "here are the reasons we can't..." As it stands, I can't see myself wanting to work anywhere else.

Cons

Nowhere is perfect, however out of all the challenges I've encountered in Xero, I have experienced the same challenges in other companies. Sometimes decision making can be slow - but is sporadic and dependant on who you may be dealing with. Sometimes transparency can be an issue - but again is sporadic and dependant on who you are dealing with. Really expect the same up and downs you will get with other companies, but with the great foundation of care and support around you to try and overcome them.

4. 5.0

Best company culture

8 May 2021 - Product Owner in Auckland, Auckland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great management. My area really cares about their people. Product is a team sport so they encourage you to be a team player. If you are used to working in silo, then this is not for you. 100% encourages work life balance Great perks!

Cons

Too many priorities happening at once, hard to figure out what to work on first and which has more value. Too many OKRs this financial year. Does feel like engineers come first, product people second. Career opportunities not clear for product owners. Currently no "level" e.g. Senior, Intermediate. You can only become a Product Manager if someone leaves in your department.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Call center hidden within a tech start-up

9 Mar 2021 - CX Customer Experience Agent in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

*Good benefits (you'll be made to feel lucky you get them though) *You get company shares (crumbs for support) *Every other department is treated well if your one of the lucky few who get hired into another department *Company is in a good position with steady growth

Cons

*Customer support is pretty much treated like a cost center in Xero, you will be micromanaged at all times to ensure they are getting as much work out of you as possible, the quality comes second. *Very toxic work culture within support, it's set up so staff are in competition with each other, competing for tickets and numbers. * You'll be held to account by "data" which is manipulated regularly to go against the worker, management tactic to keep you on your toes I guess. *Work is mind-numbing, they ask you to stick with preset replies and "company voice" so you're day consists of copy and paste mostly If you're looking to join a support team in the tech space in order to further your career or to actually be appreciated and involved then give this a miss. For people still working in support in Xero, use the experience to move to another company, despite what you might have been told, this is not how other tech companies run their support teams

7 people found this review helpful

Xero Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate the thorough nature of your feedback and take your comments very seriously. We value every Xero and work hard to champion our values on every team. We’re sorry to hear this wasn’t your experience and will share this internally with our Director of People Experience for further review. Thank you again for providing this valuable feedback.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Caring company solving interesting problems

27 Apr 2021 - Director in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really caring, thoughtful people. A great company and brand, making doing business more enjoyable. For people who are invested and work hard, there are a lot of opportunities to progress within the company, and even work overseas in new locations.

Cons

Multiple stakeholders, and an APAC focus of HQ staff can bring some early starts and late evenings, but with flexibility and great management that can all be managed.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Amazing culture

10 May 2021 - Senior Account Manager in Adelaide
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, flexible working and fantastic product

Cons

Some slower moving processes as it is a big company

8. 5.0
      Current Employee

X

10 May 2021 - IT Program Manager in Wellington, Wellington
      Business Outlook

Pros

Engaging, supportive, growing, fast-paced, exciting

Cons

No longer a start-up, speed wobbles, growing pains.

9. 5.0

Great Company

10 May 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fabulous team and great culture

Cons

none that i can think of

10. 5.0

Great Place to work

5 Apr 2021 - Partner Development Representative in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Unmatched benefits for sure! Amazing PTO, wellness and maternity leave. I think Xero has responded to Covid exceptionally well and I feel very thankful to be there. Being a PDR can get monotonous and hard with cold calling, but I think that would be the same at any job,

Cons

I dont have experience on other teams but I know some are better then others. Atmosphere in Denver office can be a little tech-bro-y .Career growth can be a bit confusing - you have to really out yourself out there

Viewing 1 - 10 of 560 Reviews