Xilinx Senior Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Found 36 reviews

2.7
Xilinx CEO Victor Peng
Victor Peng

"Xilinx is no more a nice place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in

I worked at Xilinx full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salary and package are nice

Cons

Poor managers who don't know anything to human ressources

Advice to Management

Stop wanting to seel Xilinx to another big company to get a maximum of $$$.

Xilinx2012-10-16

"BEWARE!!"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Xilinx full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you are a "male" and a "schmoozer" you will do well.

Cons

"Boys Club"; Untrained managers; 50+ Get fired; Resistant to new technologies.

Advice to Management

1. Take formal classes on how to manage engineering professionals. 2. Try to learn technical aspects of area you are managing. 3. Leave emotional baggage at home.

Xilinx2012-08-05
  3. "A once complacent company is now cutting edge and exciting again"

Senior Staff Software Engineer in

I have been working at Xilinx

Pros

Before we pressed Ctrl-Alt-Delete on our Senior Management team, Xilinx was complacent and drifting. We had many fiefdoms and overlapping functional groups, an oscillating and ever-expanding product direction, and hundreds of employees at all levels who were on "cruise control." Our competition was eating our lunch, Difficult and painful as it was, we have rid ourselves of the business-as-usual contingent... within the organization. Our new management team comes from all over the Semiconductor space, including ASICs, GPUs, and EDA. They have proven that they are more than capable of picking up on the unique challenges of the programmable business - our leadership at 28nm is a testament to this fact. Our previous CEO was cashing in multi-million dollar option grants on a regular basis. What did he care? In contrast, our new CEO and his team are hungry for success just like the rest of us. Our new product direction and goals are aggressive yet at the same time sensible and attainable. Our customers are picking up on our new-found mojo and recognizing us as technical leaders again. I'm tired of all the whining about how Xilinx is no longer a "happy place to work." Yes, we used to score very high on those fluffy surveys, but frankly I don't want to work for a company where "everybody wins." This industry is competitive. Non-performers must be replaced by performers. We have streamlined and re-invented the company, and we are now scoring high on technical leadership, innovation, execution, and profitability, not warm and fuzzy employee happiness surveys. I'm very excited about the future of Xilinx.

Cons

I think there is a limit to how successful we can be. We are worth 7-8 billion now. If we execute, maybe we'll be worth 12-15 billion. That of course would be great for all of us stock holders, but then what? Unless we make a revolutionary breakthrough, the programmable logic market will remain a niche. Also, we've hired so many talented people that now it is hard to reward them all. That's the downside of... grading on a curve. The economic downturn has helped us recruit and retain top talent, but if that changes, then what?

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you're doing. Focus on execution but make sure we save a little budget for innovation. And please, don't take this off-shoring thing too far. Some is good, but too much could be disastrous.

Xilinx2011-09-09
  4. "good"

Senior Software Engineer in Beijing, Beijing

I have been working at Xilinx

Pros

very stable , and have good salary

Cons

carrer develepment, move job is not easy

Advice to Management

enhancement on management, we need to a good schedule

Xilinx2011-03-08

"Went from great place to work to a chore"

I worked at Xilinx

Pros

Good benefits, nice coworkers, good working conditions, ok working hours All that remains from previous management: but for how long

Cons

Inept management, just follows whoever sounds the most convincing (and most of the time that's not the most competent). Only looking at saving money. Replacing the experienced people leaving with kids fresh of Indian universities. As a consequence no more innovation: our main competitor who was way behind us has now taken the lead technologically and the gap is increasing. More good people are leaving as it is... obvious that the management is only counting dollars but has no idea where to go. To be promoted you need to be friends with the right people now, does not matter what you do, just be convincing. It's sad to see such a good company with good people, great technology, loosing all that and become a place you go just to get your paycheck while the incompetents good talkers get huge bonuses in reward to be yes men to management.

Advice to Management

Judge on the facts, not on the talks. Or listen to the real workers, not the managers/VP that say everything is all right while it is obvious that something is broken. We are way behind our competitor now. You're nor hiring competent people now, only the cheapest engineers that you can find in India & US. Maybe the margins are getting better on the short term, but we're loosing big market shares I guess you are... just interested in your big bonuses now..

Xilinx2011-03-20

"Xilinx is not bad when opportunities are lacking"

I have been working at Xilinx

Pros

You have a job in a fairly stable company

Cons

Long hours, compensation not attractive, political environment

Advice to Management

Bring back Wim

Xilinx2010-09-20

"Decline of a once great company"

Senior Software Engineer in

I have been working at Xilinx

Pros

It has some of the best engineers I have ever met.

Cons

I came to Xilinx nearly ten years ago. Then it was an inspiring place to work. We went through the telecoms downturn, where the whole semiconductor industry was hit hard, but it still was a friendly, innovative, motivating place to work. We emerged from that recession and the company grew stronger introducing some great products and leading the programmable market. Since Wims departure and the arrival of this... current management, the environment within Xilinx has got progressively worse. The twice yearly reviews have been a disaster. Senior management seem to forget, that in creating world class products, there will be bumps along the way, but in the end a great product got shipped to customers. We are told that it is OK to make a mistake, but in reality you make one and your career is over. What a short-sighted view. This has resulted in many of the best people leaving. We are left with inexperienced engineers working on products which will not work, or huge delays being added to the schedules. With the latest products, marketing certainly if unintentionally produced the appropriate headline to highlight the current malaise at the company." Innovation has led to stagnation." I'll bet the marketing guru who dreamt that one up was paid quite a few bucks. Most of the workforce are tired, demotivated, waiting for payoffs, or just looking to get out into another job. Redudancies are commonplace and generally unannounced. it's sad to see a once great company fall behind caused mainly by the lack of vision in senior management. It is now a soulless place...be aware all thee who enter !!!

Advice to Management

You had a strategic vision, but your execution of it has been a disaster... you have not delivered. Take your share options and go.

Xilinx2010-09-01

"Good pay if you can stand the climate"

Senior Software Engineer in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Xilinx

Pros

Good benefits and pay. Get to work with very smart, competent and creative people. In a market that is expanding, so if you can survive the politics and layoffs, one could do very well.

Cons

Moral is low, many are actively working on strategies to leave the company and discussing it freely. People are not valued by upper management, but seem to be viewed as a number. Many small, under the radar, layoffs have workers nervous. Top down decisions made without apparent evaluation of the situation or any goal in mind. Some departments are directed, not by management, but by a "pet" project group.... Communication, even within groups, is falling apart. The right thumb doesn't know what the right index finger is doing, let alone what the left hand is doing. Internal competition is rampant with many "us" and "them" attitudes between groups and departments.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like people before they all leave the building. Manage people, not positions. Stop playing teams off of one another by playing favorites.

Xilinx2010-04-06

"Good individual contributors driven out the door by bad management"

I worked at Xilinx

Pros

There are many smart and talented people at Xilinx, who want to produce a good product, and generally cooperate with each other. The campus is in an odd area for an office park, so the commute tends to be reverse.

Cons

The good people are increasingly being driven out by a management that rewards those who "kiss up and kick down." Cost-cutting became an end-goal, with any attrition being seen as good attrition. (And everything I hear from those still there is that it has gotten much, much worse.)

Advice to Management

Wim's "no layoff" policy in 2000 bought the company an enormous (and ofttimes undeserved) streak of employee loyalty for almost a decade. What do you suppose will happen when the job market in Silicon Valley finally improves? Who is going to stick around at a company that treats people as disposable? Not exactly your top performers.

Xilinx2010-01-18
  10. "work environment"

Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Xilinx

Pros

flexible working hours. Good working team. if you like work on fpga it is the best company in this area.

Cons

you will not be appreciated. if they do not want to give promotion, they wil l use some stupid excuse such you do not know python (even your job not require it, even most of thepeople does not know it).

Advice to Management

beause of the latest layoff, there is a ob security issue. People are scared whether they need to work or they need to start to find another jobs

Xilinx2009-10-27