Xilinx Senior Staff Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated Apr 21, 2019

Found 26 reviews

Xilinx CEO Victor Peng
Victor Peng

"You boss will threaten to reduce your salary if you want to have personal leaving for vacation."

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer

I have been working at Xilinx full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you meet boss regard himself as the king, it will be a disaster. The manager want to control your life, ask you to work on the weekend, attend meeting in early morning or late evening. Even worse, when I want I have personal vacation, my boss told me “it seems your are rich. I will reduce your package and salary” Be careful, choose a good team and a good boss.

Cons

The pressure is less than other Asian technology company

Advice to Management

Watch out your managers, directors, and sr. director. Unreasonable requirement and high pressure management for the guy who has working experience for decades is not a smart way.

Xilinx2019-04-22

"sr staff engineer"

I have been working at Xilinx full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I think one of the highest benefit of working in Xilinx is that the company are stable and it does not have a lot of organization changes. Salary and stock benefit are decent for semiconductor company.

Cons

I do not like the high pressure in the environment. A lot of directors and vice presidents and they come constantly monitor progress and ask to pull in schedule. Outsourcing constrains headcount they hires in the U.S. and organization in the US does not grow.

Advice to Management

I would advice management to hire more engineers to do the work itself and promote less directors and VPs. Stop the outsourcing, it is demoralizing people.

Xilinx2016-04-24

"Still Toxic After all These Years"

Former Employee - Senior Staff Engineer

I worked at Xilinx

Pros

Good benefits/compensation, cool technology, good location

Cons

"Do more with Less" is status quo. Competitive environment fosters distrust. The "Old Boy" network is very much in play, and it's not what you know it's who's on your side. Still moving entire operations offshore (India mainly), meaning whole teams getting axed for larger, cheaper teams in India. You can NOT trust management, because they don't trust you.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees. If you're moving a team offshore, talk to the team that's losing their positions. It worked when Operations moved to Singapore, but you refuse to trust long-time employees will work with you on a transition.

Xilinx2015-06-25

"Used to be a great company, now not so"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Xilinx full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salary was top shelf, but has certainly leveled off. A leader in their industry. The company is profitable and has money to spend.

Cons

It is simply a grind. Do what you are told, hit deadlines, perform better than your peers, do it all again next review period. Do same thing next review period, except better. Impossible.

Advice to Management

Current pace is unsustainable. Good people are leaving due to unrealistic work environment.

Xilinx2013-07-18

"Great technology, good salary, bad work life balance and terrible upper management"

I have been working at Xilinx full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Xilinx has some outstanding talent and cutting edge technology. If you are single, enjoy really complex and interesting problems to solve and don't mind insane workloads, this place has some interesting opportunities. Compensation is good for the area as long as you don't divide by the number of hours actually worked.

Cons

This is no longer a culture of open and fun innovation that anyone can participate in. Shareholder returns rule everything. Management pushes engineers on insane schedules burning out even the best of the best. There is a frequent "raise the bar" reference from upper management which means great work will be punished by tightening the thumbscrews on your next set of goals. Management appreciates "Yes" men and quietly...

Advice to Management

Make a complete U-turn and focus resources on employees, not kissing shareholder behinds. You may be surprised how this actually converts into a nice long term return on your investment. This company is capable of far more than it is achieving if you simply invest big time in your employees. There is a very good reason the CEO approval rating is so low, go understand why and fix it.

Xilinx2013-03-18

"CEO and cronies only view staff as means to maximise their option values"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Xilinx full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good work life balance Nice people to work with Lots of parking onsite gym and exercise classes are a bonus

Cons

clueless senior management no promotion opportunities if not in HQ do staff surveys then "normalise" the results to ignore real concerns

Advice to Management

Leave now to save the company

Xilinx2013-02-12

"The company has great potential, but I'm rotting on the vine"

I have been working at Xilinx

Pros

Xilinx is a company filled with high-caliber people making great products. The recent restructuring has succeeded in establishing a culture of accountability and performance.

Cons

A divide has developed between the executive levels and all other employees. There is a sense of "them" and "us." There is a sense that while employee input is considered, there is never a true dialogue. Trust between the levels has broken down.

Advice to Management

Directors and above: simply walk around and talk to people. Drop into their cubes and chat. This is all it would take to repair the damaged trust -- actual conversations. Roundtables are a joke.

Xilinx2011-12-01

"Mgmt acts like you should feel lucky you have a job"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in

I have been working at Xilinx

Pros

Leading technology and FPGA product company

Cons

Treat employees like they are lucky they have a job in the Bay Area. Use looming threat of moving your job offshore to emphasize the point. Pay for performance just means more politics and promotes a cut-throat mentality. Mor

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves

Xilinx2011-12-18

"Xilinx Today"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Xilinx

Pros

Extraordinarily talented engineering staff. Cutting edge technology keeps things very interesting. Peer interactions are amicable and new ideas are well received.

Cons

Nowhere even close the same place it was years ago. "New" management has turned Xilinx culture to a numbers game and too much has been off shored leading to morale issues in all departments. Too much following of a single competitor limits creativity.

Xilinx2011-09-19
    • "A once complacent company is now cutting edge and exciting again"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in

I have been working at Xilinx

Pros

Before we pressed Ctrl-Alt-Delete on our Senior Management team, Xilinx was complacent and drifting. We had many fiefdoms and overlapping functional groups, an oscillating and ever-expanding product direction, and hundreds of employees at all levels who were on "cruise control." Our competition was eating our lunch, Difficult and painful as it was, we have rid ourselves of the business-as-usual contingent within...

Cons

I think there is a limit to how successful we can be. We are worth 7-8 billion now. If we execute, maybe we'll be worth 12-15 billion. That of course would be great for all of us stock holders, but then what? Unless we make a revolutionary breakthrough, the programmable logic market will remain a niche. Also, we've hired so many talented people that now it is hard to reward them all. That's the downside of grading...

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you're doing. Focus on execution but make sure we save a little budget for innovation. And please, don't take this off-shoring thing too far. Some is good, but too much could be disastrous.

Xilinx2011-09-09