Xilinx Senior Staff Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 17 Jul 2013

1.4
Xilinx CEO Victor Peng
Victor Peng

"Used to be a great company, now not so"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Xilinx full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salary was top shelf, but has certainly leveled off. A leader in their industry. The company is profitable and has money to spend.

Cons

It is simply a grind. Do what you are told, hit deadlines, perform better than your peers, do it all again next review period. Do same thing next review period, except better. Impossible.

Advice to Management

Current pace is unsustainable. Good people are leaving due to unrealistic work environment.

Xilinx2013-07-18
  2. "A once complacent company is now cutting edge and exciting again"

Senior Staff Software Engineer

I have been working at Xilinx

Pros

Before we pressed Ctrl-Alt-Delete on our Senior Management team, Xilinx was complacent and drifting. We had many fiefdoms and overlapping functional groups, an oscillating and ever-expanding product direction, and hundreds of employees at all levels who were on "cruise control." Our competition was eating our lunch, Difficult and painful as it was, we have rid ourselves of the business-as-usual contingent... within the organization. Our new management team comes from all over the Semiconductor space, including ASICs, GPUs, and EDA. They have proven that they are more than capable of picking up on the unique challenges of the programmable business - our leadership at 28nm is a testament to this fact. Our previous CEO was cashing in multi-million dollar option grants on a regular basis. What did he care? In contrast, our new CEO and his team are hungry for success just like the rest of us. Our new product direction and goals are aggressive yet at the same time sensible and attainable. Our customers are picking up on our new-found mojo and recognizing us as technical leaders again. I'm tired of all the whining about how Xilinx is no longer a "happy place to work." Yes, we used to score very high on those fluffy surveys, but frankly I don't want to work for a company where "everybody wins." This industry is competitive. Non-performers must be replaced by performers. We have streamlined and re-invented the company, and we are now scoring high on technical leadership, innovation, execution, and profitability, not warm and fuzzy employee happiness surveys. I'm very excited about the future of Xilinx.

Cons

I think there is a limit to how successful we can be. We are worth 7-8 billion now. If we execute, maybe we'll be worth 12-15 billion. That of course would be great for all of us stock holders, but then what? Unless we make a revolutionary breakthrough, the programmable logic market will remain a niche. Also, we've hired so many talented people that now it is hard to reward them all. That's the downside of... grading on a curve. The economic downturn has helped us recruit and retain top talent, but if that changes, then what?

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you're doing. Focus on execution but make sure we save a little budget for innovation. And please, don't take this off-shoring thing too far. Some is good, but too much could be disastrous.

Xilinx2011-09-09

"Went from great place to work to a chore"

I worked at Xilinx

Pros

Good benefits, nice coworkers, good working conditions, ok working hours All that remains from previous management: but for how long

Cons

Inept management, just follows whoever sounds the most convincing (and most of the time that's not the most competent). Only looking at saving money. Replacing the experienced people leaving with kids fresh of Indian universities. As a consequence no more innovation: our main competitor who was way behind us has now taken the lead technologically and the gap is increasing. More good people are leaving as it is... obvious that the management is only counting dollars but has no idea where to go. To be promoted you need to be friends with the right people now, does not matter what you do, just be convincing. It's sad to see such a good company with good people, great technology, loosing all that and become a place you go just to get your paycheck while the incompetents good talkers get huge bonuses in reward to be yes men to management.

Advice to Management

Judge on the facts, not on the talks. Or listen to the real workers, not the managers/VP that say everything is all right while it is obvious that something is broken. We are way behind our competitor now. You're nor hiring competent people now, only the cheapest engineers that you can find in India & US. Maybe the margins are getting better on the short term, but we're loosing big market shares I guess you are... just interested in your big bonuses now..

Xilinx2011-03-20

"Xilinx is not bad when opportunities are lacking"

I have been working at Xilinx

Pros

You have a job in a fairly stable company

Cons

Long hours, compensation not attractive, political environment

Advice to Management

Bring back Wim

Xilinx2010-09-20

"Good individual contributors driven out the door by bad management"

I worked at Xilinx

Pros

There are many smart and talented people at Xilinx, who want to produce a good product, and generally cooperate with each other. The campus is in an odd area for an office park, so the commute tends to be reverse.

Cons

The good people are increasingly being driven out by a management that rewards those who "kiss up and kick down." Cost-cutting became an end-goal, with any attrition being seen as good attrition. (And everything I hear from those still there is that it has gotten much, much worse.)

Advice to Management

Wim's "no layoff" policy in 2000 bought the company an enormous (and ofttimes undeserved) streak of employee loyalty for almost a decade. What do you suppose will happen when the job market in Silicon Valley finally improves? Who is going to stick around at a company that treats people as disposable? Not exactly your top performers.

Xilinx2010-01-18

"Great potential rarely realized"

Senior Staff Software Engineer in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Xilinx

Pros

Challenging work, good tools with which to accomplish it, talented people. There are many good managers within Xilinx but a couple of the senior directors refuse to accept reality and continue pursuing dead end strategies.

Cons

Poor coordination among groups, silo-ing engineers to work on the same narrow tasks seemingly forever, too busy with continuing engineering to make the big leaps forward. Senior directors set technical direction without listening to technical marketing and their own engineers. This leads to development that is out of touch with cistomer desires and industry trends.

Advice to Management

Realize that the people are your most important resource. The company culture you are creating is driving away the best talent and will leave you poorly positioned when the economy bounces back.. Delegate more of the technical decisions down to those managers more directly involved in the actual work.

Xilinx2009-04-13
  7. "Good company with a lot of potential."

I have been working at Xilinx

Pros

A lot of talented people are attracted to Xilinx. We have a very strong team consists of a lot of experts each excells in their own field. You can definitely learn and grow in this environment. Also, you feel you can really make a difference.

Cons

It's a big company, it takes time to know people and the organization to become part of it. New comers may feel lonely.

Advice to Management

Facilitate and encourage collaborations between teams and organazitions. Continue and enhance the policy to reward employees who take their job very seriously and make extra effort to make the company successful.

Xilinx2009-04-17
  8. "Open communication. People are supportive & willing to share knowledge. Friendly competitive environment. Not a lot of politics."

I have been working at Xilinx

Pros

The hours are flexible, you can telecommute or go to part time and go back to full time if necessary (for family illness ex.) No layoffs during downturn of industry.

Cons

This industry is very specialized so there is really no where to go professionally unless you move to a competitor. Company is aware of this fact. They are not growing as fast as they were in the past.

Advice to Management

Nothing at this point, but an employee can email directly to the CEO if they wish. They just got a new CEO last week (open communications).

Xilinx2008-02-20