Yes! Communities Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.5
Yes! Communities CEO Steve Schaub
Steve Schaub
Pros
Cons
  • "There are no cons for the company itself(in 4 reviews)

• "Upper management gets credit for all the work done when in fact it is at property level(in 4 reviews)

"It's an Attitude..."

Former Employee - I Wore Many Hats in Denver, CO

I worked at Yes! Communities full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It has taken time away from YES! to be objective. So, here it goes The YES! Attitude is a way of life: YES! I can Help; YES! We are a Team; YES! We add Value; YES! We build Community. Funny, I've been gone for a while now and I still find myself doing my best to live and work the YES! Attitude. In the beginning it was all hands on deck, everyone jumping in to make a difference and give the Community Managers what they needed to be successful, to make a positive difference in the lives of the residents, to build community, by adding value to their lives and the company because we were a team and we showed that we were a team because we helped each other out. We asked for help, we offered helped, we supported each other, we added value to each other’s lives and to the company and we built community - get the picture? It was joint effort. Heck, in the beginning I didn't even know that Gary McDaniel was the CEO of the company - I literally, had no idea! That's who we were, a Team. All of us! When lived, the YES! Attitude was transformative - and you honestly did not mind working longer hours because we worked hard, played hard and flexibility was inherent. In the beginning. The benefits were great, bonuses and profit sharing was awesome, the 401k plan is matching to 4%, a Health Saving account that the company contributes towards when getting a high deductable insurance plan, graduated PTO as seniority was reached, Spring Break and Fall Break - opportunities for community building at the corporate office (frmly the Home Office), monthly activities to bond us to each other, regular company updates and chances for open dialogue. Potential (and by potential, just that...see cons) for growth and professional development, and above all others - the most amazing, hard working, and dedicated co-workers I have ever had. Now the cons....

Cons

For years our Attitude was the driving force of the YES! Culture. It was so ingrained in me that it took me 3 years to make the decision to move on from YES!...3 years to make the decision, and 6 to 9 months to implement my departure. The mantra, YES! I can Help and YES! We are Team both inspired and drove many of us to work longer hours than we should have - especially considering that a) raises on average were non-existent for the home office team, instead we had opportunities to earn subjective bonuses. And by subjective, that is exactly what I mean - many of us never know what the basis for our bonuses were, how our rates were decided, and how we could achieve higher bonuses when given lower ones (I blame managers for this, for not being transparent with their staffs.) By the end of my tenure gone was the attitude and in its place was "you take care of yes and yes will take of you" and "if you aren't happy here, maybe you aren't a good fit" - well, the day I first heard the second statement was the day I realized YES! had grown a too big too fast for its own good. Long gone were the days of 'all hands on deck' and in its place was specialization, 'that's not your job' comments, followed by 'that's not my job' comments, to nothing getting done because no one would take ownership, meetings to decide when to have a meeting -- yada yada yada. The killer though was the loss of profit sharing for some folks, which was a nice perk, replaced with annual performance reviews with raises billed as incentive increases. My butt - they were cost of living raises 3% that was it (when you insurance goes up 7% but your raise is only 3% and you've been killing yourself, seriously?) Long hours, loss of flexibility, clock watchers, years of begging for a team only to slowly lose any autonomy, finding about decisions long after they were made only to be the one to clean it all up.

Advice to Management

Stop it! Stop telling the team that if they aren't happy, maybe they aren't a good fit. They live the YES! Attitude and breathe the YES! Culture - they are a good fit, they wouldn't have been hired if they weren't, if a person makes it past a year - invest in them. Give them realistic opportunities for advancement; give them the tools and team members they need to succeed. Don't ask someone to do 60 hours of work in 40 and then get question why they are unhappy. You only make it worse when you suggest they aren't a good fit. Stop telling them YES! will take care of them IF they take care of YES! Your staff takes care of YES! Every. Single. Day. Tell them YES! will take care of them. period. Listen to your people and not just management - your people. I didn't leave because I didn't want to take care of YES!, I left because YES! stopped taking care of me. I didn't leave because I wasn't a good fit or because I was unhappy, I left because YES! wasn't a good fit for me anymore. Tough but necessary decision and I think both YES! and I are better off apart. I wish YES! success and I hope senior management learns to listen to the people on the front lines.

Yes! Communities2019-09-03
  2. "Amazing Company and great benefits"

Current Employee - Revenue Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Yes! Communities full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

30 minute lunches for corporate, my managers have always been very flexible when i needed a day off. I get to travel time to time which is great to get a break out of the office. 401K is matched as well so its practically free money.

Cons

Just typical "desk" job things such as sitting behind a desk for hours but you find ways to make it through and make it a great day. This is with any desk job of course.

Yes! Communities2019-08-02

"Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Sales
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Yes! Communities full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learned a lot about real estate without having to be licensed since manufactured homes are recognized as vehicles and not "real" property. There is always work to do, steady hours, and a light/fun working environment (as long as the numbers are looking good). Great benefits, company trips, lots of encouragement from your market/district management. As a sales person once you get your momentum by learning the ins and outs of the buying process you'll do great and the pay structure (at least when I was there) was great for closed sales!

Cons

Where do I begin... Depending on your community staff it can be exhausting and lead to burnout without help. I worked in a community with just two office staff members including myself and the manager. The Manager of course having earned her stripes could have weekends off most of the time but leave the sales person to work full saturdays and sometimes sundays with the promise of a tuesday or wednesday off that would often be forfeited anyway due to the high pressure to hit budget. The constant fear of loss management style would stress you out and without rest it caused me to lose all interest in whatever money I could make. There's this attitude of no excuse for a bad month (unless you just started), no excuse for a home left vacant at months end (even if it is unfinished) because it is based on numbers and numbers alone. This drive for 100% occupancy could have led to some of the success in the past but all it does is burn and church people at 2 person communities that are in a major metropolitan with tons of competition. My work ethic and teamwork strengths kept me going as long as I could before complete burn out... Vacations were scary because the numbers could suffer and you'd spend your whole vacation stressing out. My manager was able to cope by having weekends off to somewhat relax or take a short trip somewhere while I could never take a weekend trip because I never had more than 1 day off at a time (if that!). I could have complained about it but it but the company's toxic culture would have caused me more harm than good from this sort of complaint. I grew to hate that office with a passion because it became my entire life where at first I was so excited and happy to help people find a home in our community. I then lost faith in the product because homes were never truly "move in ready" by our deadlines. I had to learn to under-promise deadlines to save myself from being cursed out by families with no where to go because we promised a home would be ready and it wasn't. My manager over promised ready dates to someone to "show me how it's done" and the day before their move-in date I walked the property to discover a catastrophe. I had to learn never to trust maintenance and walk the home myself because I'd be the one on the chopping block. It's much easier to calm someone down over the phone the day before a move in vs. in person the day of move in. Senior management reminds me of the top of a pyramid scheme, very detached from the real experiences of people at the bottom because of the facade put on by middle management, yet they put on some inspiring speeches at the company meetings. As a younger person in the workforce, it can be more easily dismissed but as you get older you see the mentality for what it is (treating entry level non management staff like children). At an annual company meeting where employees at all levels get to attend there is a lot of friendly competitiveness among the different regions to create excitement, nothing wrong with that except when I witnessed a newly promoted manager gave an employee a look of disgust because the employee was not camera ready to show enthusiasm on que and then that same manager chastised others for not showing enough enthusiasm when her boss danced (I did show enthusiasm and dance on que not out of fear but out of compassion since I truly did like some of the people I worked with plus I secretly planned on leaving after another month anyway for something more balanced). For the younger employees experiencing somewhat of success they'll feel that superior and peer pressure because they don't know any better but I knew better since my secret was that my days were numbered there anyway because of all of this crap.

Advice to Management

There's nothing wrong with going for the best and setting high standards but look at the life it creates for the person at the very bottom in a 2 person office. Make sure the sales person has the ability to have a life outside of work otherwise no amount of money will keep them unless they have no loved ones outside of work.

Yes! Communities2019-07-15
  4. "If I could give a negative stars I would."

Former Employee - Community Manager

I worked at Yes! Communities full-time for more than a year

Pros

They offer a competitive benefits package.

Cons

You are expected to be available 24/7. There isn't a work/life balance. The backstabbing drama among managers that is encouraged by the regionals is pure sickening. They want everyone to work as a team, but they don't encourage the team mentality.

Advice to Management

Advice for HR. Wake up your losing valuable talent due to your not listening and no action.

Yes! Communities2019-07-27
  5. "I had a great time. I worked in South Carolina for a tough but great leader."

I worked at Yes! Communities

Pros

The culture. Very well branded company that works closely with employees

Cons

A lot of moving parts literally.

Advice to Management

Keep going

Yes! Communities2019-04-22

"Growing too fast, hazing mentality, STAY AWAY"

Former Employee - Corporate Staff - Anonymous
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Yes! Communities full-time for less than a year

Pros

30 minute lunches for corporate staff Mon-Thurs so everyone can leave at 3pm on Friday's. Free parking in parking garage and gym on site where home office is.

Cons

Hazing mentality for new team members both at corporate and when corporate people are introduced to onsite staff. Company is growing, but technology that employees are using is not sufficient; my daily work amounted to a bunch of busy work that was mundane and boring that other similar companies started having software do years ago. Despite pushing a fun culture and "team mentality" during the hiring process, there is an extreme lack of culture and any sort of team mentality amongst home staff.

Yes! Communities2019-04-29
  7. "Great Company and Culture"

Current Employee - Management in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Yes! Communities full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company provides amazing training and great benefits. Love all of the competitions and opportunities to make extra money. I have had several jobs but Yes is now Home.

Cons

None really, lots of hard work but lots o rewards, Would recommend to anyone if you are serous about a career with a great company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, you clearly care about us.

Yes! Communities2019-03-25
  8. "Community Manager"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Yes! Communities full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company Culture is out standing. Very team oriented.

Cons

Cliquish at times. If you are not in the it group you are sort of overlooked.

Advice to Management

Give attention to those who may be under performing to build their confidence.

Yes! Communities2019-01-10
  9. "I'm still here aren't I?"

Current Employee - Lead Maintenance

I have been working at Yes! Communities full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits good people to work with, empowered to make decisions

Cons

Understaffed, under budgeted, some drama.

Yes! Communities2019-01-22
  10. "A lot has changed"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Yes! Communities full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, the people, support, decent pay

Cons

Lack of communication, training, culture isn't what it used to be, no work life balance as a manager

Advice to Management

Communicate more with your employees, seek out what they are asking for and let them know things are happening. Have contests that everyone is able to be a part of, not just those that sell. A long time ago I would have given 5 stars across the board!

Yes! Communities2019-01-05