Yorkshire Building Society Reviews

Updated 18 Sep 2020

3.6
Yorkshire Building Society Chief Executive  Mike Regnier (no image)
Mike Regnier
Pros
  • "Much more of an emphasis on people and work/life balance than any of the Big 4 UK Banks with whom I have worked(in 12 reviews)

• "Good package and flexible working(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "no cons - everything is good at YBS(in 7 reviews)

• "Very little empowerment and zero options for career progression, especially post-restructure(in 6 reviews)

1. "Great company ethos, just some over promoted managers"

Former Employee - Business Intelligence Manager in Leeds, England

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits including healthcare, bonuses, favourable rates, flexibility, opportunities

Cons

Some bad apples in the management structure managing to hide their incompetence

2. "Great work place"

5.0
    Current Employee - Analyst in Leeds, England

I have been working at Yorkshire Building Society full-time

Pros

Benefits package, great work place environment

Cons

Medium to low end salary compared to similar establishments

Resourcing Manager

Thank you for your positive review of your experience working at YBS so far. It's great to know that you are enjoying the workplace environment in Leeds and we wish you all the best in your career with us!

3. "Great employee benefits"

Former Employee - Complaints Manager in Peterborough, England

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society part-time

Pros

Good package and flexible working. Nice people respectful of day to day needs.

Cons

Job security due to office and staff rationalisation. Constantly reorganising departments to meet medium term plans, which adversely impacts staff confidence.

Resourcing Manager

Thank you for your review of your experience working at YBS and it's great to know that you enjoyed the benefits of flexible working and our culture of friendly colleagues. We are sorry to learn that you feel job security is lacking and we acknowledge that the process of re-organisation can create feelings of uncertainty and we are working hard to address this. We wish you all the best in your future career.

4. "Good culture, pretty cliquey"

Former Employee - Contractor

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society full-time

Pros

Good colleagues and benefits overall

Cons

Very much a boys club in some parts of the business.

Resourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your time at YBS. We'd really like to understand more around your experience as we promote an open and inclusive culture, so would really appreciate it if you could please email recruitment@ybs.co.uk with some more details as we're keen to investigate further

5. "Not sure what they are"

Current Employee - Management in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I have been working at Yorkshire Building Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Genuine desire to do the right thing.

Cons

Not sure what they are. Pretending to uphold member values while chasing profit.

Resourcing Manager

Thank you for your review of working at YBS and it's great to know that you have been with us for more than 3 years now. As a Building Society we are passionate about doing the right thing for our members and upholding values in support of our members. We are interested to learn more about where you feel improvements can be made in this area. Please email us at recruitment@ybs.co.uk so that we can understand more about your experience.

"Intimidation"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Communications in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society full-time

Pros

There are no values just intimidation.

Cons

Management in customer communications harass and bully you all the time. It’s a harmful environment to work in every day. There is no relief from the bullying.

Resourcing Manager

At YBS we pride ourselves on our culture of inclusion and support and take the statements you make very seriously. I would be grateful if you would make contact with recruitment@ybs.co.uk to share your concerns so we can investigate fully.

7. "Mutual Employer"

4.0
    Current Employee - Head of IT & Change in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I have been working at Yorkshire Building Society full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great place to work where they look after colleagues and customers equally.

Cons

Salaries are not the highest but it's a great working environment.

Resourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for sharing your positive comments. YBS strive to create a great working environment and it's good to know this is being felt across the organisation.

8. "An OK company"

Former Employee - Complaints Team Leader in Cheltenham, England

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Personal Development is encouraged and training provided

Cons

Management don't seem interested in you

Resourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your time working at YBS. We would be interested to learn more about your experience and how you feel we can improve on the employee experience. If you would like to provide more detailed feedback please email recruitment@ybs.co.uk with your comments.

9. "Management struggle to follow the culture they enforce."

2.0
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The role was very interesting - The office is modern and equipped with many amenities. - A friendly workforce (for the most part). - some very nice and supportive team leaders. - Unbeatable work-life balance.

Cons

- Poor salary in comparison to competitors for this type of role. - Management are sometimes selective with staff members, setting different targets for certain employees, while knowing that some of these targets are impossible to achieve. This behaviour boarders on bullying and harassment due to it not being based on performance. This witch hunt style of management tainted my experience with this employer.

Resourcing Manager

At YBS we pride ourselves on our culture of inclusion and support and take the statements you make very seriously. We would be grateful if you would make contact with HRServices@ybs.co.uk to share your concerns so we can investigate fully.

10. "Highly Recommended"

5.0
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of forward thinking, flexible working, benefits and more

Cons

Lagging digitally, need to catch up quick

Resourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. It’s great to hear that there were lots of positives to your time here. Thank you also for your feedback regarding the digital side of the business and we have taken this on board. We are currently in the middle of a large digital upgrade program which we are sure will provide employees with a more user friendly IT experience.

Found 151 reviews