Zalando Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Sep 15, 2021

Found 16 of over 1,618 reviews

3.9
Zalando CEO Robert Gentz
Robert Gentz
Pros
  • "Great working environment with a lot of perks(in 77 reviews)

• "I appreciate the flexible working hours that I can use at zalando(in 43 reviews)

• Cons
  • "low salary compared to other companies(in 42 reviews)

• "Sometimes you may feel that it indeed is a big company that may slow down the speed of execution(in 20 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Zalando

Join the conversation on

Tech India

15.2K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/tech-india/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.in&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Zalando~613421
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good Good Good

Jul 22, 2020 - Administrative in Pune
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good Good Good Good Good

Cons

Good Work Life balance, work from home

2. 5.0

Great Company

Sep 15, 2021 - Buying Assistant in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great atmosphere, can develop quickly, a lot to learn

Cons

Not a great work-life balance

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Stressful

Sep 11, 2021 - Product Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

nice people to work with, you can learn a lot from everyone

Cons

quite stressful, lack of transparency, work life balance is a bit of a problem

4. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Zalando is only as good as your management and your flattery skills

May 14, 2021 - Customer Care Manager in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

- International work environment - Talented colleagues - 40% discount voucher on Zalando

Cons

Your experience is as good as your management. Someone wrote in another review that, unfortunately, your experience depends highly on who management is, and this is my experience as well. - Depending on management, you may not see some of the benefits announced company wide. Some of these benefits might get blocked from management without any good reason (e.g. not allowing remote work due a lack of trust rather than the requirements of the role). - Depending on management, you may see a lot of policies announced and never live them. For example, Zalando supposedly stands for diversity and inclusion. In fact, diversity is one of Zalando's core values. Again, even if diversity and inclusion are a priority company-wide, you may not see anything of that translated into concrete actions and attitudes within your team because this depends on whether your management believes in its importance or not. As an example: you may hear a lot about being inclusive and respecting different backgrounds, but you might repeatedly be asked to mould yourself to traits that management deems valuable without any small consideration to trying to respect your values and background. - Performance evaluations and promotions ultimately depend on whether management likes you. You may consistently receive positive feedback from different colleagues and stakeholders about your performance and the skills critical to your role, but even then, you might not receive a promotion because upper management that has never worked directly with you and has not seen your work, has the ultimate decision-making power on whether you get promoted or not. If you were not engaged in shameless self-promotion and flattery every opportunity you see them, you can say good bye to career advancement. - Depending on management, there might be work-life balance and there might be some importance given to mental health. While there are mental health days at company-level, the importance given to mental health in your team depends on management. You may hear a lot of talk about promoting mental health and work-life balance, but then be given incredibly tight deadlines that cannot be met without working overtime / see management work at 6 am and 11 pm. - Having a positive feedback culture depends on management. You may have them encourage you to give feedback but consistently dismiss it / react defensively / label you as problematic even if the feedback provided is constructive. If you then decide not to give as much feedback because, what for when it is being consistently dismissed?, then you may be labeled as not outspoken enough. - Feedback is received from stakeholders and peers, but you never get to evaluate upper levels of management. There is a quarterly survey that is supposed to be for that but this either mostly reflects on your team lead and does not go much beyond that, or it is discussed in one meeting and then no actions are taken to address negative results.

11 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

There are better places to work

Mar 19, 2021 - Assistant Merchandiser in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Innovative, international, fast growing Europe fashion leader

Cons

No work life balance, low salaries.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Zalando Salary

Jan 18, 2021 - Salesforce Engineer in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good Work life balance 40% discount on shopping No Micromanagement Cool place to work

Cons

Some teams have people doing micromanagement thats not good for work life balance.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee

good

Dec 7, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

innovation friendly fresh new good working environment

Cons

stressful a lot of work salary work life balance

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

An honest reflection on working in category management

Sep 23, 2020 - Team Lead Buying
      Business Outlook

Pros

Exposure to many parts of ecom businesses, from Performance marketing, content & creation, marketing campaigning, Human Resources, finance controlling, business development, category management and market place to name but a few Flexible working hours Honesty and transparency from the board and management in cascading information and its reflection in its wins and mistakes It’s pioneering mentality for example the great strides made in sustainability which only 2 years ago was a small side project. Tolerance and international community Pay, salary and perks for Berlin are very good. In house training and development courses are excellent if you have time to attend, the leadership courses were excellent.

Cons

The absolute unmanageable workload and constant lack of investment into headcount in category management. Certainly at teamlead level and above in category management, you are married to your job which is why turnover is so high. A work/life balance is not possible. It’s not a sustainable way to live for long term health and it needs more than ever in a COVID world to be addressed. The race mentality and speed at which the business develops and changes which does not stop to properly address the people it affects at different levels of the business. In most businesses pressure is top down. At category management you feel it from the top, from The brands but most frustratingly from all the link departments be it, finance controlling, logistics, Zms or partner program . The business is so big it is it not aligned on internal strategy goals with different priorities. It is hard to yeld support and truly get your goals achieved. Zalando Calls itself a fashion platform but truly they are tech first foremost and forever. People that join the business with a genuine passion for fashion would miss working in a true fashion led business. There is a distinct lack of onboarding and on job training support for basic daily functions, clear job descriptions for category management at different levels The Political game that has been developed by the personal performance review process “zonar”that is so complex and open to manipulation that creates mistrust and lack of openness from employees to address true support where it’s needed to help people develop. Many people in category management have left due to stress and burnout in the roles this has never been properly addressed to avoid going forward. It gives the impression Zalando does not genuinely care about its employees. When people are rated underperforming the focus is primarily on the individual not the environment or the lead or the team around them. Zalando has a set of principles called the founding mindset.. how they conduct themselves in the business and how they work.. it’s a great initiative for a large business. But it only works if everyone lives and believes in them, especially people at director and Senior management who set the culture and atmosphere. I have seen many examples in category management where this is definitely not the case.

1 person found this review helpful

Employer Branding Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are glad to see that you share so many positive aspects with us as we are investing a lot in creating a great place to work for our employees. What you point out in the Cons section is not the type of employee experience we strive to create at Zalando. We would specifically like to address your concerns regarding the high workload and our approach to support employees who are struggling in their role. We are actively trying to find ways to help manage the workload of our employees in a better way. As one of the measures to tackle this, our teams are conducting workshops to proactively review their workload and define best practises to increase efficiencies and prioritize projects. In addition, we are also investing a lot in tool improvements and hiring for additional roles in Category Management to help strengthening our teams. In regards to our approach towards colleagues who need support in their role, we aim to provide a holistic and conversation-based approach. Together with leaders, our People & Organization Business Partners try to analyze the context, identify root causes for the challenges and define holistic support measures. In parallel, we strive to encourage open and honest conversations between the lead and the employee about current challenges, expectations and mutually aligned support offerings in order to help the employee in the best way possible to be successful in their role. We take your feedback as a very valuable input to continue having these open and honest conversations at Zalando and working on improving. If you would like to have a further discussion or share more feedback with us, please feel free to reach out to me directly via email: Martha Müller, martha@zalando.de

9. 3.0
      Former Employee

Judgmental and Discriminatory Workplace

Jun 14, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good processes are in place. Discount on zalando products

Cons

The Employee Relations unit is a huge fail. The so-called HRBP barely know what they are doing. Their job is to reinforce the company policies and remind the employees about those policies. When it comes to conflict management, they avoid it at all cost. Is it a racist work environment? Absolutely!!! I witnessed firsthand employees whom were oppressed by either their own lead or lead from another unit. People are being yelled at and everyone is meant to say nothing about it. During my first week, I witnessed two employees have an exploded argument and it felt toxic. Word of advise: before taking a job with any employer read the comments on glassdoor. Do not ignore these comments, every negative comment i read before joining was true. Zalando proudly says over 90% of their hires are from outside Germany which translates into diversity hire--- well, this is because of your poor reputation in Germany. The only locals who accept your job offers only accept it as a survival job! They have a suck-up culture. If you don't suck-up to your lead, forget promotion, salary increment etc. Some of the business units are amazing but some are toxic!! There is barely a proper work-life balance .... work overload is one of the reasons why most of the employees are unnecessarily agitated and paranoid. Workplace gossip and talks behind your back? Zalando! sometimes they even have your quick meetings about you right under your nose. Worst place i ever worked.

2 people found this review helpful

Employer Branding Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your negative experience in this role. This is not the type of work experience we strive to create at Zalando and we take these matters seriously so we can work on improving. Your feedback is helpful for us to focus on strengthening our action plan of how to avoid this in the future. We'd specifically like to address your concerns regarding our Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) efforts in the workplace. We have a zero tolerance policy for discrimination and we want to create an environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and included at the workplace. By raising cases as you have and providing us feedback, it allows us to understand where things did not work and share feedback to respective teams to improve matters like these in the future. Our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and D&I team are playing an active role in driving change by advising managers and helping Zalando make more informed decisions to promote diversity and inclusion throughout the company. As one of the initiatives, we are currently in the process of restructuring our training landscape to offer company-wide D&I workshops that would be mandatory for all employees. This will also give us a chance to further expand our D&I trainings and workshops on topics inclusive of discrimination to help strengthen the feeling of belonging and mutual support. But we are actively working on next steps to become a more diverse and inclusive organization and help make sustained long-term change. If you’d like to have a further discussion please feel free to reach out to us: eb@zalando.de and we can put you in touch with our Senior Diversity & Inclusion manager if needed.

10. 1.0
      Current Employee

A company that doesn't trust its employees

May 27, 2020 - Software Engineer in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

40% discount in clothing for employees

Cons

Basically our working conditions keep getting worse and worse. More things are being pushed top to bottom that erode them. - Management has already hinted that working from home won't be allowed after Covid, despite everyone working as hard as before. This policy of not allowing home office was always strong and it shows how much they trust employees and care about work-life balance. - Salary freeze for 2020, despite the share price being at its highest.

13 people found this review helpful

Employer Branding Specialist

Thank you for providing us your feedback. We are grateful you took the time to share it with us so we can work on improving. We'd specifically like to address your concerns regarding the decision to not increase salaries in 2020 and our mobile working policy. In response to the Covid-19 situation and its impact on our business, we have set keeping our talents safe as our highest priority ensuring health and safety measures are in line with the official regulations. In this context, we believe it’s important to evaluate our investments. In doing so we were guided by the principle of prioritizing non-personnel cost savings over personnel cost savings to minimize the impact on our employees. We believe we have found an approach that allows us to get through this situation collectively as a team and contribute to keep the company healthy. In regards to our mobile working policy, there are currently no plans to retract this. We want to enable work time flexibility as much as possible but keeping in mind that Zalando has many work environments which require different work time models. For most of our teams mobile working is possible according to relevance and the requirements of a talent’s tasks and is usually up to 4 working days per month. If you'd like to have a further discussion, please feel free to reach out to me Sonja Sinterhauf - sonja.sinterhauf@zalando.de

Viewing 1 - 10 of 16 Reviews