Zendesk Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 25 Jan 2020

4.1
Zendesk Founder and  CEO Mikkel Svane
Mikkel Svane
Pros
  • "They had an incredibly flexible PTO policy which made work-life balance better than any other company I've worked for(in 97 reviews)

• "Worked on a small team of great people(in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • "As with any young company there are growing pains, but the company does a decent job of addressing them as they come(in 35 reviews)

• "Could have more competitive benefits (currently no 401k matching of any kind, health plans could be more subsidized and provide better coverage)(in 17 reviews)

1. "Best Company to work with"

Current Employee - Technical Architect in Bangalore

I have been working at Zendesk full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work, Culture, People, Work-Life balance, Perks and Facilities

Cons

Couldn't think of anything now

Zendesk2019-10-03
  2. "Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Zendesk full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome Product, Great People, Good Culture`

Cons

Fast growth comes with pain, lack of career progression

Advice to Management

Think of career progression to retain good talent

Zendesk2018-08-01
  3. "Customer Success, India"

Current Employee - Customer Success, India in Bangalore

I have been working at Zendesk full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic Support both from people and resources

Cons

Catching up with exponential growth...will eventually settle down. Overall good for all and the company!

Advice to Management

NA

Zendesk2018-07-03

"good"

I have been working at Zendesk

Pros

good work, flexible timings, good culture

Cons

not employee friendly when comes to firing employess

Zendesk2016-10-05
  5. "Awesome place to work"

Former Employee - Director in Manila, Manila

I worked at Zendesk full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing company, great team, great product, market leader.

Cons

Growth can be stressful with new people joining all the time.

Zendesk2020-01-25
  6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zendesk full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome culture, strong leaders, pretty offices

Cons

Located on the worst part of Market Street. Be careful.

Zendesk2020-01-21
  7. "great culture and great people"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Singapore

I have been working at Zendesk full-time for more than a year

Pros

they are really a bunch of smart and nice people that you are going to work with, very flexible, open and transparent culture; the good ones get promoted really quickly, very merit driven career progression

Cons

teething stage now as the company growing to enterprise

Zendesk2020-01-20
  8. "Amazing experience and exposure"

I have been working at Zendesk full-time

Pros

Fast paced and ever changing. Excellent exposure to global projects and a considerate management team. These guys are all about the experience

Cons

A bit top heavy in terms of senior management. Exposure to global projects comes at a cost of a lot overtime, projects are usually managed from US so the EMEA timezone can be difficult to manage at times.

Advice to Management

Ensure that your management (Director level above) share the same vision with management to avoid conflict and confusion at ground level.

Zendesk2020-01-15

"There's a lot of work to do to change to an Enterprise focused organization"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zendesk full-time

Pros

The people are the reason I loved Zendesk so much. Everyone was willing to help one another and looking to grow and be better. They had an incredibly flexible PTO policy which made work-life balance better than any other company I've worked for. I find my friends saying "you'll never find another place like Zendesk" and I believe that to be true. I felt it was a relatively easy life there. I felt challenged but at the same time it was an easy product to understand and to sell.

Cons

Their goal as an organization is to move into the Enterprise. Unfortunately their focus is still incredibly transactional which is how Zendesk grew so quickly. This transactional foundation is a huge detriment to the goal of moving into the Enterprise because much of the leadership team is influenced by the people who've grown up within the organization and therefore drive the process from the ground up. Almost all reps still speak regularly at the practitioner level and the conversations are not value driven. I believe Zendesk has been so successful thus far because the product is great and easy to use. My goal in being there was to progress my sales career to work more complex and Enterprise/Strategic deals. While they certainly have some great Enterprise Logos, the footprint of those organizations is still relatively small. Zendesk does not focus on the outcomes that companies are trying to achieve in choosing their solution and because of this, sales reps are consistently delegated down to low level contacts. I left Zendesk because the culture had changed significantly. The leadership team has gotten incredibly political and there is clear favoritism throughout the organization. In addition, there are a few people who because of their political ties, basically run the organization and if you have a misstep with them, it can cost you your job and reputation which is unfortunate. This means you have to be very careful about who you trust there and the information you share.

Advice to Management

Your sales leadership team is driven by emotion and cliques. This means that anyone who challenges their path is pushed out. This shows a resistance to change. It also means that anyone who's not willing to play the political card with the right people are not recognized and are invisible and therefore feel under valued. So even if you hit quota but are silent, you're less likely to get promoted, get approvals or get recognition.

Zendesk2019-12-05

"A great company impacted by sub-par managers"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zendesk full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company started out on a great premise - providing beautifully simple solutions for customer support, and the product is great overall. There are good people working at Zendesk who care about the company, and about each other.

Cons

The company can be very clique-y, and there are certain "untouchables" who keep retaining their jobs even though their work has been sub-par. There are others who seem to have an extraordinary amount of influence on decisions, and you live or die by their word. Management in my part of the company was severely lacking at several levels, and I heard similar from associated teams.

Advice to Management

Don't put individuals in charge of teams that clearly don't have any interest in people management, or any skills pertaining to that. Listen to those that do the actual work and not to their managers or colleagues who pretend to have been involved. Go back to your statement of "Zendesk doesn't hire ...", and get off the path towards becoming just another American corporation. Your culture is what makes Zendesk special.

Zendesk2020-01-09