Zillow Reviews

Updated 9 Jul 2020

3.7
Zillow CEO Rich Barton
Rich Barton

"Enjoyed Going to Work, But Weird Drama and Poor Management"

4.0
    Former Employee - Agent Care Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

I looked forward to going to work each day to be around my colleagues. There was a lot going on, various learning and training opportunities, that were always offered. The snacks and drinks were top notch.

Cons

It often felt like management made weird rules or policies that made no sense and did not take the rest of the employees into consideration. There were often weird power dynamics with managers who seemed to micromanage when there wasn't a lot of transparency about what they were even doing each day.

May 6, 2020VP, PA Partner Success

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Our commitment to employees, and our processes, are designed to ensure fair and equitable treatment of all our employees. I’m glad to hear that you felt connected to your team, but I'm sorry to hear your management experience at Zillow did not live up to your expectations. We take all feedback seriously and will follow-up with team leaders with this insight. If you would like to connect directly please reach out to me at racquelr@zillowgroup.com

"Racism in the Denver Office"

Former Employee - Sales in Denver, CO

I worked at Zillow full-time

Pros

The benefits and work/life balance

Cons

Given the recent coverage of racial injustices across the nation, I think that it is imperative for me to share a story of when I worked in the Zillow office in Denver last year. Zillow Group is a company that heavily promotes its level of diversity and inclusion; however, it is also the first company where I witnessed racism firsthand that was ignored by upper management and also the first company I worked at where several racial incidences were known to have occurred amongst its employees. As a person of color, I was followed from inside of the company office to my friend’s car by a Caucasian employee. As I began to drive away, this employee physically stopped the car and began to question me about who I was and why I was in the office. They wouldn’t let me leave until I answered them claiming that they didn’t recognize me which is hardly surprising given that there are several hundred employees working in the office with tens of new employees starting each week due to turnover. I was extremely shaken by this event and informed HR of the incident. Having spoken to 2 people in HR, both said that they didn’t believe it was racially motivated but was likely triggered by previous security issues. Firstly, I had never heard of this happening to my white counterparts nor should a company allow for its employees to police others and follow them to their vehicles. I did not pursue the issue further as I felt that my concerns were being ignored and that , as a person of color, I was made to feel as though I had just “misinterpreted the events” or at least, that’s what I was told. This is exactly why people of color don’t report these incidences and feel like their concerns aren’t heard. Towards the end of my time there, I had heard numerous stories of racism being rampant among its staff in Denver. I do know specifics; however, these are not my experiences to tell. Overall, I was extremely disappointed with how these issues were addressed and hopefully the Denver Office will make changes to provide a safe environment for its employees where you are not accosted by coworkers, minority or not, and for it to be blamed on “prior security issues”. I mentioned this during my exit interview, but based on my experiences, I have no doubt it was never addressed.

June 18, 2020CPO

Thank you for sharing your experience to us. We have zero tolerance for racism or discrimination of any kind. I see that you have decided to move on from Zillow but after reading about your experience; it warrants a closer look. If you'd be willing to discuss this with me privately, I'd like to hear directly from you at dans@zillowgroup.com. I wish you the best in your future endeavors and hope to hear from you soon.

"Bad leadership, bad team culture"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good compensation Company doesn't seem evil, at least not nearly as bad as Facebook or Amazon

Cons

Company seems very far behind in tech, and seems to be struggling a lot with modernization, maintenance, and basic documentation Leadership forces ridiculous penny-pinching decisions without listening to well-reasoned arguments against spending hours of engineering time on tasks that save less money than they cost to complete Team has vocal resistance to automation Team has vocal resistance to documentation Orca card is not a transit passport (not unlimited use) - you have to pre-pay it and then get reimbursed up to some amount per month. Fully supporting local transit is the least you could do considering how many workers it brings to and from your offices Onboarding is an absolute joke. No launch plan, little prepared documentation for new hires to follow. Manager is seen as absent (verified with teammates, this is not just my opinion)

June 18, 2020CTO

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback. We're always looking to improve -- from the ways we update our products to the benefits we offer our employees. You raise some valid points and we'd like to hear more specifics on how you'd improve your experience at work. If you're willing, I'd like to connect you with someone on the HR and Benefits team to discuss more deeply your ideas around innovation, efficiency, onboarding, and employee transit benefits. Please reach out to me directly at davebei@zillowgroup.com.

"Toxic Culture and Biased Management"

Former Employee - Advisor in Scottsdale, AZ
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Started out promising. They make sure you drink the cool-aid and make the company sound like it's the best one in the world.

Cons

Management needs extra training desperately to combat blatant homophobia and bias exhibited by those in leadership roles.

June 12, 2020CPO

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. At Zillow, we simply do not stand for homophobia, intolerance, injustice, or discrimination of any kind. We encourage employees to come forward with concerns, including anonymous channels to share those concerns. If you would be willing I would like to better understand your experience and ask that you reach out to me directly at dans@zillowgroup.com.

5. COVID-19

"Burnout is rampant during WFH"

Current Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Zillow has been a a great company to work for and from am executive level they are handling the COVID-19 crisis the best that they can. They are keeping employees updated and informed.

Cons

First and foremost management doesn't trust employees while they are working from home. The constant check ins, daily reports and hours of meetings a day make it impossible to get your job completed. Second of all, there is obviously a fear that we are not going to hit our revenue for the quarter and the pressure is intense. They want us in meetings all day but also to push as hard as possible to be doing our most. This is causing a horrible work from home experience. I feel like management is forgetting that we are having to work in uncharted territory and are expecting business as usual. I don't have time to eat let alone to get up and stretch. I'm so stressed I can't function when I'm not working and I'm having burnout. We are working our hardest and doing the best we can.

April 25, 2020CPO

Thank you for review - teams are working hard to adapt to this environment and there will be bumps. We take all feedback seriously and will follow-up. If you would like to connect directly please reach out to me at dans@zillowgroup.com . With our commitment to extend WFH we will continue to improve and will need your input to do so.

6. COVID-19

"Chaotic and very limiting. . . You need to be optimistic to enjoy the role"

Former Employee - Advisor

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits and when culture is good, it’s very good. You will meet some of the best individuals you have ever met when working at Zillow with diverse experience. There is a lot to learn from all of these individuals and I wish management would take that into consideration more. There are some good engaging activities that take place, some better than others. Zillow has handled COVID19 well for us all. The recent announcement about being able to work from home until the end of 2020 took a lot of stress off of a lot of employees. Would be great if Zillow would honor WFH indefinitely. I enjoy my position more working from home because productivity has increased and I am able to focus on the important things such as... my work. You are given metrics for the work that you do which can be rewarding.

Cons

Be sure before taking the position as a Zillow Offers Advisor that you throughly understand the position. The position itself can feel entirely draining at times because it will never be explained to you that it’s essentially a call center. Day to day rules can change in an instant with your workflow. Things you were told the day before do not matter. That comes with working at a start up, but understand they will not honor their word and everything is changing at a constant. One day you will be told that something doesn’t matter and the next day it does. I sometimes think it depends on your mangers attitude towards you that day. There is a lot of playing “favorites” in the office. I also think great intentions have been set for culture, but everyone has to play along or it will never work well. It’s a very big tattletale culture. Growth is not encouraged in the advisor role. Your manager will stunt your growth if it means benefiting them with your numbers. I have heard from multiple advisors that they feel their concern for growth isn’t taken into consideration. It is very disheartening when you work incredibly hard day in and day out and you will never be considered for more than the advisor role. Promotions to management or lead positions are few and far between. I know they are working on this, but you will be told false info to try to keep you in the role. A lot of whispering amongst management in the office. . .WFH has alleviated that stress a lot. I also wish the compensation plan would be geared more towards the individual and pay them as such. Sometimes you will hear what management has said about you, but they will never address their concern with you.

May 18, 2020President, Zillow

I appreciate your thoughtful and balanced feedback, and I take the insights you've shared here seriously. Within Zillow Offers, there are both exciting and challenging tasks ahead, and this will require our teams to iterate, optimize and establish new ways of working together. There's more work to do here, but we're committed to providing our employees the support, training and mentorship they need to do the best work of their careers. -- Jeremy Wacksman

7. COVID-19

"Home away from home"

5.0
    Current Employee - Offers Advisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Zillow takes the best care of its people - like family. The best company I've worked for thus far. I'm writing this review during the COVID-19 situation. Zillow has gone above and beyond to help its employee feel secured and supported during such a hard time.

Cons

nothing. just look forward to the time when they have more locations people can work from.

April 30, 2020VP, Recruiting

Thank you for sharing this review. This time is uncharted territory and it has required an incredible amount of agility, understanding and creativity on the part of every employee. I've never felt more confident in our future and proud of our employees. Stay safe, we'll keep moving forward and get through this, together.

"Complete chaos"

Former Employee - Principal Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decently collaborative, fast paced, nice building / work environment

Cons

Chaos, constants useless reorgs. Lack of resources. PM are not empowered. Tech stack is a disorganized mess. The company is a revolving door with too many people quitting quickly

April 25, 2020CPO

We have gone through a lot of change over the past year, but are making progress. I would appreciate any direct feedback you could provide from your experience. If you would like to connect please reach out to me at dans@zillowgroup.com .

9. COVID-19

"Leading through COVID-19"

5.0
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've been at Zillow for almost 4 years and been here for the growing pains and changes in the last few years. I've always loved working here for the career growth, benefits, company culture, leadership and working with intelligent and kind people. However, I didn't think I would continue to be impressed and be even more grateful than I am to work here during this pandemic. We consistently receive messaging from our CEO and leaders to prioritize our families and mental health. We are provided with resources to support a work from home setup. How Zillow has shown up during this difficult time is very telling of how authentic our company culture is to not only to employees, but our customers as well.

Cons

I wish we could expense gym equipment within our gym reimbursement benefit-- It's not really a con, just had to input something here :)

April 25, 2020CPO

Thanks for the feedback - we are trying to do everything we can to support our teams. If you have additional feedback for us please reach out to me at dans@zillowgroup.com .

"Huge culture company, only on the outside"

Former Employee - Advisor

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

decent pay, good benefits, if you have a good manager, work can be easy and enjoyable. Decent relocation package, could be better tho** they only give you 1 month in corporate housing.

Cons

no growth opportunities, they will tell you there are, but the only people who get executive positions are white frat boys who know the right people. They will also offer higher pay, raises, more stock options to the employees they "like" NOT based on performance whatsoever.

April 25, 2020CPO

Thanks for your review - I wish you had a better experience at Zillow. I would appreciate a chance to get your direct feedback, please reach out to me at dans@zillowgroup.com .

Found 818 reviews