Zillow Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Rich Barton

"Glorified call center"

Former Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free food, great company parties, great office.

Cons

The opportunity for growth here is almost impossible, unless you end up getting to know the right people. Zillow takes pride in their company slogans, however they don’t actually live up to them at all. It’s very much like a high school setting with the way everyone acts. You’re entire job is to text, and call potential buyers and connect them to an agent while using an SOP to follow. 10 hour shifts with an hour... lunch, and you must work at least one weekend day.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the work environment a little more than socializing with the other managers. The position has potential to be great, however the lack of care in how the employees are treated really makes it not even worth working there.

Zillow2019-09-19

"Sales account executive"

Current Employee - Sales Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good place good people there

Cons

Turnover was very high when I worked there

Zillow2019-08-26
  3. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Pac

I worked at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing people, culture and location

Cons

The hours for my role were not consistent with little autonomy

Zillow2019-08-15

"Great place to work that has a promising outlook."

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits - The benefits Zillow offers are numerous. Free snacks/drinks, gym reimbursement, time-off (vacation, parental leave), etc. Culture - Zillow really cares about its employees. There are various networks to foster a sense of belonging for marginalized groups, career development opportunities, emphasis on well-being and work-life balance, etc. I also love that despite being a mid sized company, it's still... got a tech startup feel to it. Internal Mobility - Plenty of opportunities for career development. Zillow really invests in the growth of their employees. Innovation - Zillow is constantly iterating and never stagnating. I love that things are constantly changing, it really keeps you on your feet. I also really believe in the vision the company has. I see a lot of potential and Zillow definitely is not missing the opportunity to execute on it.

Cons

Contact-to-Hire - I started at Zillow as a contract-to-hire employee. The contract-to-hire process was the worst. Despite being identical in function to every other Zillow employee, I felt like I was treated as a 2nd class citizen while a contractor. Contractors get terrible benefits, are excluded from certain events/activities, and when you are finally converted you lose your hire date - so all the time you spent... as a contractor doesn't count. One thing that really made me feel excluded as a contractor was the fact I didn't get a z-Pal, which is a program they have for new hires that pairs them with someone from outside their team to bond with and introduce them to the company in a more informal way. The only reason people have to go through this unfortunate process is because management wants to make easier to let employees go if they don't live up to their expectations (my manager admitted this), which is a pretty bleak way of looking at it. Growing Pains - As things scale up, Zillow has experienced growing pains in a few areas. I feel like leadership really needs to step it up on transparency and communication. As an individual contributor I feel like I'm in the dark on what's going on. Sometimes changes happen and I find out weeks later that something had changed. So not only do I not have the chance to provide feedback and be involved in the process, I don't even get looped in on the change. Lower and middle-management could work on communicating out the direction and vision for our org.

Advice to Management

Ditch the contract-to-hire practice. Involve ICs in the decision making process. As we scale, please don't forget what makes this a great place to work. Keep the tech startup culture.

Zillow2019-07-30
  5. "Great company and culture for all."

Former Employee - Client Engagement Specialist

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities to move up.

Cons

Not many that I can think of.

Zillow2019-08-06
  6. "Excellent place to work"

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Motivated teams, excellent culture, great company outlook

Cons

Lots changing quickly and can lead to various outcomes for both company and its employees... not for everyone but certainly for those looking for a closer to startup experience vs mature tech company experience

Zillow2019-08-04
  7. "Amazing Culture"

Current Employee - Zillow Offers

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

This company walks the talk. The environment is amazing. I’m happy to come to work, therefore I’m WAY more productive and creative.

Cons

Haven’t found one yet.

Advice to Management

I like How we move fast. It keeps me on my toes and excited. I like that everyone contributes and is heard and appreciated!

Zillow2019-07-24
  8. "Smart and caring leadership"

Former Employee - Senior Client Engagement Specialist

I worked at Zillow full-time

Pros

Great benefits and culture.

Cons

Growing really fast and changing rapidly.

Zillow2019-07-22

"Great place to work, improvements needed on comp side of things"

Former Employee - Business Consultant in Centennial, CO

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Benefits and perks were second to none - Travel regularly - ZG Week

Cons

-The majority of teammates did not understand how comp worked or how much $ they were going to make in a given quarter. In the time I worked there, the comp structure changed once per quarter - Little career growth opportunity - Unrealistic quotas set by individuals with very little to no experience setting a quota or participating in an IC sales role

Advice to Management

Hire an outside consulting company with experience in Sales enablement /quota planning

Zillow2019-07-15

"Work life balance"

Current Employee - Senior Database Engineer

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

Freedom not much micro managing new technolgies

Cons

not great pay and compensation

Zillow2019-07-31