Zillow Senior Software Engineer Reviews

Updated 19 Mar 2020

3.4
Zillow CEO Rich Barton
Rich Barton

"It is really a roll of the dice"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, okay pay, wonderful location

Cons

Depends which org you end up, members of my org from directors down to IC who have been there for the past 5years create a super political toxic environment. Dead end career and too much negative talking.

April 25, 2020CPO

Thanks for your review - I am disappointed to hear your experience. If you would be willing to give me more detail please reach out to me at dans@zillowgroup.com .

2. "Great Place to work at"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineering Manager

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

Great leadership Smart People Various technology stacks

Cons

Sometimes it takes a lot of time to approve a new project or initiative

December 2, 2019CTO

Thank you for your feedback. I am proud of the great work our teams are completing and the products and services they bring to our customers. I agree that we have incredible people on our teams and love the commitment and smarts they show every day. Appreciate your comments about time to approve new initiatives. We are working on processes to make these more streamlined, but also acknowledge that as we grow as a company, need a bit more analysis around which projects we finalize with the engineering teams. I am glad that we have ways for great ideas to come from anywhere in the company and that the engineering teams take a lot of ownership in their products and plans.

"Stable Company, Challenging projects"

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cutting edge technology. Great work-life balance. Good Perks. Catered lunch on Fridays. Diversity! "Build your own idea" week events. If people aren't satisfied with something, they listen, discuss, and take necessary action.

Cons

Not very many cons, at least not in my first year of employment. Zillow is a medium-sized, fast-growing company. You may find some cross-office communication problems as the company doesn't follow a `remote-first` approach.

April 9, 2019CTO

Thanks for your feedback and great having you at Zillow Group. I appreciate your comments about improving communication and hiring of distributed teams. As we grow, we need to continue to look at options to hire great people, and distributed teams is something we are utilizing more and more across our different brand teams and platform teams. I know you are early in your career with us at Zillow Group, but please continue to provide us your feedback through your manager or me directly.

"Good company but not challenging"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wlb is awesome. People are very friendly and downtown location is good. Company is expanding quickly into new areas and growth is amazing.

Cons

As some others have mentioned that compensation is a bit lacking though not too much. My major gripe is that work is not very challenging. It is tedious and needs you to think about how people will use it best but from a purely engineering perspective it is not hard and doesn't meet the rigor that you expect. And you can argue that you should engineer what people want to use but sometimes I feel my skills are underutilized and getting rusty.

July 30, 2018CTO

Thank you for your feedback. We have a lot of interesting and challenging work going on in all our teams. Of course, at any time, and depending on the team, there is a balance of various types of investment in new features and technologies as well as maintenance on existing systems. Some of this work might seem tedious at times, but it is all part of investing in our products and supporting our business. I strongly encourage you to discuss your specific work areas with your manager and VP and look for ways to work on projects that interest you. If you are unsatisfied with those conversations and outcomes, please come talk with me directly so I can help achieve this for you at Zillow Group. I am confident that on all teams we can find a good fit or in some case, a move to another team where the work might be more of a interest and fit. Again, please come talk with me if you are unhappy with your work assignment.

"Pretty good place to work at"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome physical environment. Zillow tends to hire smart people who also have empathy towards others. Lots of room for growth in the business. Decent compensation. No on-call. A lot of promotions from within.

Cons

Slow release process. It's being worked on but was shipping once every 2 weeks, and sometimes once a month, which can be frustrating when what you work on requires iterations. A lot of tech stack is result of hack week projects that doesn't seem to have much ongoing support. Some teams lack clear charter.

January 25, 2017CTO

Thank you for your feedback. I see that you are a former employee, so you might not know that we have moved to weekly releases and are working on improving our deployment and monitoring processes as we head toward a continuous deployment model. Our "Velocity" model of having a small core team working with all the product teams on core tools and architecture is going reasonably well and in the last 3-6 months the ramp of people engaging and projects getting shipped from the Velocity backlog is increasing. There is certainly a lot more time being dedicated (target has been 15%) towards this work, and while some engineers work on these projects during Hackweek (which happens in Seattle 3 times a year), much more is being done outside of Hackweeks. So, room for improvement, but progress is being made. If you or anyone still at Zillow has more specific feedback or ideas on specific projects we should prioritize, please reach out to me and your manager. And if anyone has any doubt what the charter of their team, PLEASE talk to me and your team lead. With our small team model, there should be clear alignment and understanding on this. Again, thanks for your feedback and best of luck in your current gig. - David Beitel, Zillow Group CTO.

"Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team to work with. Helpful, friendly atmosphere (ZG is a team sport) Challenging work Open environment. Your opinion is valued Love the communication from the management (turn on the lights) Fast paced work. Immediate impact (move fast, think big) and at the same time good work/life balance Excellent benefits. Free breakfast daily. Lunch and Happy hours every friday. Yoga onsite.

Cons

Commute from south/east bay is time-consuming and while Zillow does reimburse the cost, it would be great if they start shuttle services like other companies in the bay.

Zillow Response

January 10, 2017CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the great review. Definitely hear you on commuting inconvenience. Perhaps someday, as we get even bigger, we can do this.

"Great Interview Process"

Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zillow for less than a year

Pros

- Great benefit package - Amazing location in the financial district of San Francisco - Great people - Competitive pay

Cons

None so far. Everything is great

June 15, 2016VP, Recruiting

I'm so glad to hear your interview experience was positive and that things are going well so far. Thanks for leaving a review here too, we appreciate it!! Annie - VP Recruiting

"Large, stable company with small, start-up mindset"

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Zillow is, so far, the best company I've had the pleasure to work for. They really stand behind their words with actual action. If people aren't satisfied with something, they listen, discuss, and take necessary action. They provide many avenues to voice your opinion, which empowers you as an employee and as a stakeholder in the company itself. Culture isn't something they just talk about. They live it day in and day out by being active philanthropically, engendering a culture of respect, and providing avenues to unwind at work and outside of work. Although Zillow is a large company, we still get plenty of opportunities to work with cutting-edge technology. There are hardly days where I feel like my team is stagnated or that I feel like technology is leaving us behind. The teams here aren't scared to work with bleeding-edge tech, and making mistakes or failing big is a part of the culture, not something frowned upon. To summarize, if you're looking for a company that stands behind what they say and provides a challenging, yet fun place to work then Zillow is where you want to work.

Cons

I've been here for almost a year and so far I can't really pinpoint anything as a downside. The work-life balance is great. The culture, coworkers, and management make day-to-day work a pleasure.

March 22, 2016VP of Industry Solutions

Thank you very much for the kind words. I’m extremely happy everything is going really good for you. It is important to us that everyone here, like yourself, has a great environment to thrive and is a company they can be proud to work at. - Justin LaJoie, VP

"Great company"

Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance, good pay and benefits. Small, agile teams with a lot of product freedom to development what we think improves the overall product

Cons

The only real con is that the dev stack can be a little complicated and there is still a bit of legacy code to manage

February 29, 2016CTO

I appreciate you taking the time to provide some feedback. I'm especially happy that you feel our small product team model is working well for you and your team. Work life balance and good benefits are also important. After 10 years, there are some teams dealing with more code history than others. We encourage our teams to work with the various stack groups (java, python, ux, build/deploy, etc) to help us plan our ongoing investments and migration in our core technologies. Teams should also be investing in their own services by building time into their project plans to address this tech debt as we build new services or make significant enhancements. Additionally, we are working to create more independence across teams with investments in core tooling and creating more micro-services and minimize dependencies to the areas where they are truly need. I'm pleased with the progress we are making, but of course there is more to do. If you or others on your team would like to get more involved in these efforts, please track me down and I can connect you with the right people. Thanks again for your feedback and hard work. We are only successful because of the great work of our people and we need them driving these improvements. David Beitel, Zillow Group CTO.

10. "Good while it lasted"

Senior Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Good benefit while it lasted, flexibly working environment

Cons

too much bureaucracy, you have to be a favorite of someone to hold your job.

Found 17 reviews