Zillow Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated 17 Jun 2020

3.8
Zillow CEO Rich Barton
Rich Barton
Cons

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"Racism in the Denver Office"

Former Employee - Sales in Denver, CO

I worked at Zillow full-time

Pros

The benefits and work/life balance

Cons

Given the recent coverage of racial injustices across the nation, I think that it is imperative for me to share a story of when I worked in the Zillow office in Denver last year. Zillow Group is a company that heavily promotes its level of diversity and inclusion; however, it is also the first company where I witnessed racism firsthand that was ignored by upper management and also the first company I worked at where several racial incidences were known to have occurred amongst its employees. As a person of color, I was followed from inside of the company office to my friend’s car by a Caucasian employee. As I began to drive away, this employee physically stopped the car and began to question me about who I was and why I was in the office. They wouldn’t let me leave until I answered them claiming that they didn’t recognize me which is hardly surprising given that there are several hundred employees working in the office with tens of new employees starting each week due to turnover. I was extremely shaken by this event and informed HR of the incident. Having spoken to 2 people in HR, both said that they didn’t believe it was racially motivated but was likely triggered by previous security issues. Firstly, I had never heard of this happening to my white counterparts nor should a company allow for its employees to police others and follow them to their vehicles. I did not pursue the issue further as I felt that my concerns were being ignored and that , as a person of color, I was made to feel as though I had just “misinterpreted the events” or at least, that’s what I was told. This is exactly why people of color don’t report these incidences and feel like their concerns aren’t heard. Towards the end of my time there, I had heard numerous stories of racism being rampant among its staff in Denver. I do know specifics; however, these are not my experiences to tell. Overall, I was extremely disappointed with how these issues were addressed and hopefully the Denver Office will make changes to provide a safe environment for its employees where you are not accosted by coworkers, minority or not, and for it to be blamed on “prior security issues”. I mentioned this during my exit interview, but based on my experiences, I have no doubt it was never addressed.

June 18, 2020CPO

Thank you for sharing your experience to us. We have zero tolerance for racism or discrimination of any kind. I see that you have decided to move on from Zillow but after reading about your experience; it warrants a closer look. If you'd be willing to discuss this with me privately, I'd like to hear directly from you at dans@zillowgroup.com. I wish you the best in your future endeavors and hope to hear from you soon.

"Great company with a great culture but lacking in the treatment of contractors"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Zillow for less than a year

Pros

- They really have an amazing group of people. I've worked cross-functionally on multiple projects and only rarely have I found people too busy or not willing to help. - There's always something new. You will never be bored working here. Plus, you can pursue what you want with, typically, much encouragement from your peers. - They offer great work-life balance. In fact, they discourage overworking and teams make an effort to adjust if the work gets to be too much.

Cons

- Contractors don't feel valued from the perspective of the company. After talking with a few other contractors/FTE, as a whole, contractors are viewed and feel replaceable. From the perspective of the team, they are essential and necessary but the lack of effort to convert and lack of transparency from upper management on the need (or lack of need) for contractors makes it feel like as a contractor, you have no say at all in your future and have no security at the company. - There's a lack of resources for contractors. The HRBP is a good source of basic HR info and your manager is a good source of info for matters related to your work but there's nothing on how to effectively convert to a FTE or advance your career even while working a contractor role.

July 23, 2019CPO

Thanks for your review. People come to ZG as contractors for a variety of reasons, and not everyone wants to join full time. If you feel you weren't considered for an FTE role and wish to be please reach out to me at dans@zillowgroup.com and I will connect you with the recruiting team.

"Great company to work for, unless you're in the IT Org"

2.0
    Former Employee - Security in Seattle, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Snacks, good healthcare, diversity and inclusion, LGBT awareness, equity, "unlimited PTO" if your manager likes you.

Cons

There is ZERO career development in the Zillow IT org, most particularly in the Security space. The company claims to take security seriously, but doesn't anywhere anymore except on paper. The team has had massive turn over in the past six months. (Which isn't surprising if you consider the level of management turnover in the IT org as a whole.) The annual review system is broken. You can get zero compensation raise and zero equity without an explanation as to why -even if you met ALL of your performance goals and have good manager and peer review. If you ask for some rationale as to how this happened with an entire year of good feedback from management the only response you'll get is, "Let's just focus on the future." The annual review system seems to be based on how well your manager is liked by their manager. None of it makes any sense. So good luck getting a raise. Ever. Honestly, if you are considering work on the security team at Zillow, you shouldn't. You can easily get hired elsewhere in town where the leadership takes security seriously. You can find somewhere where you won't have multiple managers in one year because of turnover. (literally) You can find a place that takes your career seriously. The security team has seen high management turnover, zero career development, can't get traction with other teams, budget gets approved (verbally) then slashed over and over. Then upper management says asks why security hasn't solved for X problem. It's because we have no budget or headcount!

April 3, 2019SVP, Technolgy

Thank you for your feedback on Zillow Group and the Security team, I agree with the Pros you mention above. I will note that while we do not cap our time off, we expect all team members to exercise strong ownership and judgment when taking time away. In 2018 the Security team delivered foundational components to help support ZG business line growth, while improving the partnership between Security, Product Development, and Business Development. To this end, protecting customer trust remains our top priority and we will increase headcount and YoY investment in 2019. There is always more to do to ensure we are supporting our team member’s career goals, and I am confident in our InfoSec leadership as we continue to prioritize Career Development within the organization and across Zillow Group. A cornerstone of this is our Annual Review process where team members and managers discuss their accomplishments for the year, and how their actions aligned to Zillow Group’s Core Values. To reflect and address your comments on career development and attrition, in the trailing 12 months, the Zillow Group IT organization promotion rate matched Zillow Group’s average, while maintaining a lower attrition rate. I would welcome further discussion on this topic. If you would like to discuss further, please reach out to me at: tobyro@zillowgroup.com.

"NOT OKAY"

Current Employee - Premier Agent Concierge in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

Fair pay, lovely benefits, no shortage of snacks.

Cons

Management basically threatened to fire everyone over metrics that are OUT OF OUR CONTROL. Everyone in the Seattle office is FREAKING OUT. I myself have had several panic attacks over this. It baffles me how this company can treat us so different from the rest of the company. Most people got to go home early due to the unsafe snow storm that has started, but everyone in my department was told that their safety isn't their first priority. I don't know how much longer myself, or really anyone else, can take this. Upper management has created an overall feeling of anxiety and depression. Everyone is scared of being fired. Just because they can legally fire people for whatever reason doesn't mean they should use this as a scare tactic to manipulate department metrics. Bottom line: THIS IS NO WAY TO RUN A DEPARTMENT.

February 12, 2019Senior Director, Connections Experience

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Over the course of the past few months, we have begun to communicate a metrics-based success plan. Success plans are standard for ZG and all call centers because these metrics are critical to our business and our overall commitment to our North Star. We understand these metrics are new and we are interested to hear any feedback you may have about them. We strive to provide an environment where everyone feels they’re valued, treated fairly and respected. With this said your safety is our main priority, which is why we gave everyone the option to leave early during the snow storm. We are currently working on an inclement weather plan to make sure we avoid last-minute decisions in the future. I also am pleased to sit down with you to discuss any further concerns or suggestions. Greg Davis Senior Director Connections Experience gdavis@zillowgroup.com

"Best Company That Actually Lives Their Values"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

Access to upper management at all levels, Transparency of Sr. Leadership, Core Values taken seriously, Focus on people, Great working spaces

Cons

Nothing outside of any company that goes through the growing pains of maturing.

December 13, 2018President of Homes

Thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts! It’s great to hear that you are having a positive experience working at Zillow Group. Living our Core Values has always been very important to us and they are deeply embedded in how we conduct business both internally and externally. Our culture is an important piece of what makes us unique, and that starts with our great employees. Feel free to reach out to me if you ever want to chat about our culture or have any suggestions on things we can do differently.

"Not a place if you want a real career in sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Zillow full-time

Pros

Some good in-office perks, good healthcare, great peers

Cons

Complete misalignment when it comes to sales career. Management focuses too much on making sellers do administrative work - answering support calls, dealing with cancellations. It takes away time from selling. Monthly quotas are extremely short sighted. All real software companies have annual or quarterly sales goals. You aren’t allowing your sellers to think strategically and grow customer relationships for larger deals. Zillow promotes employees to managers who hit sales quota, most don’t make good managers - they have no experience coaching or advising rather just focus on looking good to upper management.

November 8, 2018GM

Hello, this is Dave Frisone, Senior Director of Premier Agent sales for the NY office. Thank you for your thoughtful feedback on your experience as an employee of Zillow Group. We strive to create a dynamic and successful working environment for everyone and appreciate ideas and perspectives like these. If you would like to have further discussion on these topics, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly, davef@zillowgroup.com. Thank you.

"Love my benefits but need to be heard"

Current Employee - PAC CES in Denver, CO

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits at Zillow are incomparable to any other benefits I have ever been offered. Health is amazing as they have a customized plan at includes low deductible ($250) and low copays of $15 for visits. Referrals are not required so there’s no headache when scheduling appointments. The plan also overs massage therapy, acupuncture, and chiropractor visits. Dental is also very good! Zillow covers half the cost for braces! Commuter benefits are available Vision covers a good amount $75 gym reimbursement Volunteer opportunities Guided career development Paternity leave and baby bucks Work/life balance Fully stocked kitchen that provides more than enough options for breakfast and lunch. Catered lunches twice a month Food trucks daily so you don’t have to run out on break Workout classes during office hours Relaxed dress code

Cons

The Denver office doesn’t have as many departments as other offices do. Therefore, the growth is really hard if you’re not willing to relocate. The entry position is a very easy CES position which is where most begin their Zillow career. However, there isn’t much of a system to monitor employees. You can be a top performer on your team and/or in the department, and the treatment is the same as the guy sitting next to you doing half the work but taking double the breaks. They claim this is monitored, but there doesn’t seem to be much managing of the “slackers”. Top performers are rarely recognized by upper management and receive zero incentive for their hard work and dedication to the company. It sucks. As managers are encouraged to help with career development, the room for growth is sparse and the demand is high. A survey is sent out to employees to provide feedback and every time I fill this out, I voice my opinion about compensating top performers and I never ever hear a word about it. They stress “power to the people” and that they hear us, but this topic continues to go unheard. It’s so un-motivating especially to the people who are actually dedicated. Employees are growing frustrated and morale is way down.

August 14, 2018VP, Client Experience

Hi, at Zillow we strive to make our compensation fair and equitable. We regularly review the compensation of our employees to ensure it's competitive in the marketplaces we operate in, and believe that the Concierge role is paid fairly and competitively. We also apply our performance management process evenly across teams and locations. This doesn't mean everyone performs at the same level all the time, but we do set high standards and help people get there. That all being said, I'm concerned about your comment that career development was not handled properly. We use an "employee powered/manager supported" model here, and I want to make sure the appropriate support was provided. I'd be happy to connect directly and hear more of those details. Please reach out to me at jrg@zillowgroup.com, or grab me the next time I'm in Denver.

8. "Dialing is key"

Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great office, snacks, benefits and salary

Cons

Upper management and processes can be improved.

May 8, 2018Senior Director - Inside Sales, Seattle

Thank you for taking the time to send over a review. I'm glad you like so many things about Zillow Group including the office, benefits and salary. If you would like to talk in more detail on how we can improve the coaching process, please send me an email or stop over to my desk. Thanks again. Chris Lowe Senior Director, Premier Agent Sales

"A great midsize company"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent benefits, strong and transparent leadership, balanced workload, excellent teams, rewarding environment.

Cons

The office I worked in was mismanaged during my time at Zillow, due to lack of upper management involvement. That has since been resolved, from what I hear. They also were slow to respond to a harassment claim by one of my coworkers.

September 27, 2017COO

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, and I’m glad your experience here overall was good. What you describe regarding response to a claim of harassment, however, is not representative of our HR organization or company culture. We are committed to maintaining a work environment where everyone feels welcome and supported. The company takes reports of harassment very seriously, and conducts prompt and thorough investigations into all reported allegations. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the experience of your colleague if you or s/he is willing. You can reach me directly at amy @ zillowgroup. – Amy (COO)

"Great company overall, personal experience depends on the team."

5.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

They still embrace the start up culture, though many departments run like an established corporation. Great perks, if you're on the right team you'll be supported, mentored, and pushed to succeed. There's a lot to learn, room to grow.

Cons

White, male dominated culture. There are lots of other kinds of people, but the upper management is hooked into the frat culture of sales. This gives the feeling of working for a white fraternity. You need to be extroverted to get promoted (being white or male helps too).

September 27, 2017COO

Thank you for your feedback and 5-star review. I’m glad you overall enjoyed your time here. I’m also disappointed to hear your comments on the culture in the sales org while you were here. Diversity, and an inclusive, welcoming environment are very important to us at all levels – and our current data shows women make up 40% of our employees and 37% of leadership. Room for improvement from a data perspective, for sure, but culturally it’s so important to us that all employees feel welcome and valued. If you’re willing, I’d like to hear more specific feedback from you so that we can rectify any parts of our organization that don’t live up to our Core Values or our commitment to D&I. You can reach me directly at amy @ zillowgroup. - Amy (COO)

Found 33 reviews