Zumiez Employee Reviews about "laid back"

Updated Nov 20, 2021

Found 75 of over 1,254 reviews

3.8
Zumiez President, CEO, and Director Richard M. Brooks
Richard M. Brooks
Pros
  • "I always felt like zumiez as a company cares about their employees(in 93 reviews)

• "Great work environment open to growth(in 87 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Low pay but they do offer good benefits(in 84 reviews)

• "Zumiez policy is that you must aim to sign up a minimum number of people for the "stash" reward program per shift(in 62 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "laid back"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

GreT

Nov 11, 2021 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Laid back relaxed environment to work in

Cons

There are no cons at the current time

2. 3.0

Managers suck

Nov 20, 2021 - Sales Associate in Palmdale, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

It’s an easy job, not as laid back as everyone says it is but it’s pretty chill. The discount on clothes is 25% off of clothes and 20% off of hard goods like skateboard decks, watches, etc.

Cons

Managers take their job waaaaay too seriously. Idk if it’s because they’re 30 years old and have nothing else to do with their lives or what but there’s always 1 manager that will be on your back for no reason at all.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Sales Associate

Jul 21, 2021 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Commission based pay on top of hourly, could be a pro or con depending on your preferred style. Fun laid back place to work.

Cons

Competitive selling, must be knowledgable about brands.

4. 5.0

Great company

May 28, 2021 - Assistant Manager in Springville, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Management, employee recognition, pay, laid back job

Cons

Nothing at all to be honest

5. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Zumiez Experience

Jun 25, 2021 - Retail Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Easy and laid back, comfortable

Cons

Low hours , poor communication and lack of opportunities

6. 4.0
      Former Employee

Depends on Management

Mar 21, 2021 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, good music, flexible with college students

Cons

Your experience depends a lot on who your manager is. If you have great management its a blast, if management is always looking over your shoulder & talks behind your back..no fun.

7. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company, Great Benefits, Not So Great Management

Mar 4, 2021 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very chill work environment. Employee discounts are really nice and can end up getting you some really solid deals even as an entry-level employee. Job is fairly low-key with cool clientele and laid-back co-workers. They aren't pushy about hard selling customers and the training is low pressure and relaxed compared to some other retail stores. I'd highly recommend working here to anyone, and hope anyone who does apply is treated more fairly than I was and has more stable management and leadership.

Cons

As a huge fan and avid customer, I had been wanting to get a job at Zumiez for several months but every time I went in they weren't hiring. Because of my love for the store and my interest in employment I had gotten to know the manager and some of the sales associates fairly well and followed some of them on social media. One day the manager made a post on her personal page that they were hiring so I applied and got the job. Obviously I was very excited, and with my large amount of prior work experience in customer service and merchandise, I was looking forward to this opportunity I've been waiting so long for. However, things were rocky from the beginning as on my first day I showed up around 15-20 minutes early and not only was the store was not open, but I was the first employee there. As I waited I began to meet the other employees and new-hires and nobody knew why the store was locked and closed, where the manager was, how we were supposed to get in, and what we were supposed to do. Eventually, one of the assistant managers came and opened the store, probably at least 45mins past when we were supposed to open mind you, and we began the day. The only problem was that the manager never showed up and she was supposed to train me on my first day! This was a constant occurrence which I thought would be great since my previous job would hound you if you were 1 minute late, but this only proved to be an omen of what was to come. Of the 4 whole days I worked there, yes 4, the manager was constantly inconsistent and unreliable in showing up and staying an entire whole shift. She also spaced my training days several weeks apart claiming she didn't have a lot of hours to give due to covid. So even though I only worked 4 days I technically was employed for like a month and a half. She also failed to give me the proper training materials and then would be surprised I didn't know or have certain things, meanwhile the other new-hire did have these things for some reason. To be honest the manager's inconsistency wouldn't have been that much of an issue except our backroom was constantly overflowing with inventory with full boxes of merchandise constantly being stacked up several boxes high, and literally taking over the backroom. Still going through training and not knowing the work environment and personalities, I couldn't do anything about this. Instead of using us new hires to help mitigate that overflow, we were just trained as if that wasn't happening at all. This was essentially the case every day I worked there and one day I even offered to stay late, whether I was paid or not, to help them catch up and ended up spending around 2 extra hours tagging, folding, etc. the backstock when I could've just gone home. Instead of a thanks, I was told she couldn't put me on the schedule for a while because that cut into the available hours. ok fine, I'll take that at face value, but then the next time I worked was like over a week and a half later. I don't think even 10 people worked there and if she couldn't give hours why was she hiring 2 people? Anyway, after waiting a few weeks for what would end up being my final shift, it was the same old situation again. I was loosely trained by another random employee who never seemed to know what they were supposed to be doing with us, but the shift went fine more or less. The manager comes up to me and the other new-hire at the end of the shift and says, "Hey guys great job today. Unfortunately I can't put you on the schedule until the next pay period (which had just started so it was going to be another week or two until we worked again) but next time you come in you won't be training and will be official employees!" Great, I thought, I won't have to worry about silly forced training exercises I didn't need anyway and hopefully help out around the store and maybe even be able to work hard enough to impress somebody and move up in position quickly. Except that would be the last time I heard from anyone. I reached out several times about my schedule and was essentially ghosted out of employment without any explanation to this day. The next time I went into the store I saw the other new-hire I trained with who said this had been her 2nd or 3rd shift since the manager told us we were done training. I have no idea how someone with that kind of behavior is in charge of managing a whole store like that.

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Zumiez Sales Associate Review

Feb 9, 2021 - Sales Associate in Bellingham, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun and laid back work environment.

Cons

Low hours / pay depending on store.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Chill Place, low work on off season

Jan 21, 2021 - Zumiez Distribution Center in Corona, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Laid Back, Head phones being able to be put in, Easy work

Cons

Slow work during the off season

10. 5.0
      Former Employee

Fun place to work if your passionate about what the company is about

Dec 29, 2020 - Lead Sales Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Wonderful people to work with, you get to meet all kinds of different people with varying interests, laid back and manageable work load most of the time.

Cons

Pay isn't that great and management is a little inconsistent higher up

Viewing 1 - 10 of 75 Reviews