athenahealth Senior Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Bob Segert

"Sr. Manager engineering"

Current Employee - Senior Manager Engineering in Bangalore

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good work - Freedom to operate - End -to-end ownership of the components/modules that we are responsible for

Cons

- Sometimes the pace of work can be a bit slower compared to other domains like ecommerce, retail etc.

Advice to Management

Focus on building a good teams and good work culture, other things will follow automatically

athenahealth2019-05-21

"Sr Product Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than a year

Pros

It’s relaxed and if you are motivated, and dedicated you will be empowered with resources and trust. It’s not that difficult to stand out if you are actually capable.

Cons

Athena is filled with people who want a cushy job and do not really push the boundaries. That’s not to say that you cannot find great people who want to do great things just the majority of the people really don’t think of it as a business that has limited resources and you must make decisions based on business value.

athenahealth2019-03-27
  3. "Healthcare Boom"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fast pace, culture, opportunities to learn and grow

Cons

Change for the sake of change

Advice to Management

Set clear direction and make the effort to communicate that effectively.

athenahealth2019-01-10

"The good and the BAD."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

athenahealth is essentially a playground for adults. It allows you to do work while having fun. The people that I've met and collaborated with on projects have been nothing short of amazing in years past. The mission and vision of the company is noble which gives you the sense of purpose when you walk through the doors. Decent Pay but not up to industry standards. Beautiful campus where you can bring your dog... into work and take strolls during breaks. Great community/extracurricular activities outside of work.

Cons

Since the "bloodbath" in 2017 right before Thanksgiving where ~500 people were cut things just have not been remotely the same. The feeling you had when you walked around was that everyone was happy and jovial but now it's almost a "who's gone next?" game. Extremely difficult to retain top talent as they are asked to work extremely way too much for way too long. Some departments I've seen work 12+ hr days... because they simply cannot get the work done. I believe this is something upper management (Directors/Sr Managers) need to take seriously because employees will be burnt out sooner or later. This has been made aware but these Directors are simply too green and not the right fit. I've overheard one Director say absurd things such as "I hate top performers, they always expect so much and it's extremely *expletive* annoying. I'm perfectly fine with a person that just meets expectations." And when challenged he had the audacity to say "Good, let them *expletive* go, I don't care. I'll hire someone else." If that truly is the case then why would anyone want to strive to do more? Shortly after this was said more than half of the team disbanded months later and are now no longer with the company or moved on to a different department. Benefits aren't the best.

Advice to Management

Listen intently to those who work with you not for you. If you care to keep your job and retain the people you need to help run the ship.

athenahealth2018-12-14

"Senior Manager"

Senior Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some pockets of truly exceptional people who are committed to the mission and a pleasure to work with. If you happen to be in one of these areas it can be incredible. The facilities are exceptional and the mission is pretty compelling.

Cons

Internal politics have really got terrible in the last year or so. Those favored few who are in the good graces of newer leadership and playing in the fun new technology do well. Pretty much everyone else is neglected. The company talks a lot less about making healthcare work as it should and a lot more about cool technology and ensuring we’re making enough for shareholders. Attrition amongst those with a lot of... experience has become very high and it’s starting to take a toll. The company espouses agile principals but has implemented a very command and control process which can be soul crushing.

Advice to Management

Look long and hard at your leadership, change starts up there. Talk more about the mission and figure out a way to align the new technology strategy with the people who built what got us where we are.

athenahealth2018-04-15

athenahealth Response

June 1, 2018Employee Engagement

Thanks for taking the time to write this. It's sad that this is your experience. Have you shared this internally? There are groups that are working really hard to provide development opportunities for athenistas, and to reduce any bias in our talent processes. And with our newly launched ...

6. "Athenahealth"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Watertown, MA

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

athenahealth is a great place to work, especially on the sales team. They have a great culture, an amazing product/service and a leadership team that invests in developing their people. While healthcare constantly changes, athenahealth always seems to be a step ahead.

Cons

Not many cons. The biggest would have been the parking situation at the HQ in Watertown but they fixed that by putting in another big parking garage!

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on developing your people, building a positive culture and staying ahead of the changes in healthcare.

athenahealth2018-04-21
  7. "A lot of bad processes to unwind"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay and work life balance

Cons

We act like a growth company when we havent invested in our product in services to keep up what used to be an exceptional experience

Advice to Management

revisit the core value and reinvest in it to meet the dream we sell to clients

athenahealth2018-04-06
  8. "Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Watertown, MA

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Healthcare, clients, culture, team, colleagues

Cons

Leadership, direction, client attrition, human resources, location

athenahealth2017-12-08

"It was great while it was great"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Belfast, ME

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great compensation, bonuses, advancement opportunities, maternity/paternity/adoption benefits

Cons

New investors demanding higher profits resulting in recent layoffs and ongoing expense reduction. Many of the special perks that helped you tolerate the extreme performance demands and high stress are dwindling.

Advice to Management

Get more realistic about work/life balance. Churning and burning through millennials should not be the MO.

athenahealth2017-11-08
  10. "Company working to disrupt itself after 20 years"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great mission, nice work space, good compensation

Cons

Legacy technology, activist investor looking to the short term

athenahealth2017-11-03