dataxu Employee Reviews about "smart people"

Updated Feb 28, 2019

Found 12 of over 127 reviews

3.4
dataxu Co-Founder, President & CEO Mike Baker
Mike Baker
Pros
  • "Smart people throughout the Company(in 12 reviews)

• "work life balance, Good technology stack(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Senior management values time-in-seat more than productivity(in 5 reviews)

• "re orgs(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "smart people"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 3.0

leading american DSP company

Feb 28, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

teams made of smart people. good technoly

Cons

Too many decisionare made in the US, they do not think as a global company

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Company past its hey day

Oct 11, 2018 - Ad Operations in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-The pay is competitive and benefits decent for a start-up. -Recently, management approved a 401k match -Smart people throughout the Company -Senior management seems to be transparent in communication and Company meetings -Nice office space with free food/snacks and close to most public transportation

Cons

-GTM team experiencing a serious exodus of talent and no telling when the bleeding will stop. Its so bad that we recently had an executive quit before they started. Getting harder and harder to hire once candidates investigate our reputation. -Multiple layoffs globally in last 18 months bringing about feeling of zero job security. Some people have been hired and then let go within a matter of months -Seemingly constant pivots in strategies makes people question whether its reacting to the market or desperation.

11 people found this review helpful

SVP, People Strategy

Thanks for your feedback! As a current employee, you know that dataxu values any and all feedback from its employees and actively solicits it on a regular basis through a few different vehicles – our anonymous ask the CEO questions at every global monthly company meeting, our annual engagement survey, and our quarterly performance pulses between our employees and their managers to name a few. We’re glad that you appreciate the compensation and benefits we provide and that you believe your colleagues and our leadership to be smart and transparent. You refer to an exodus of talent, but in reality, our annual turnover rate is currently pacing equal to or less than other similar companies in the ad tech industry. Our recent quarterly metrics show that the average tenure of people who left dataxu is 3 years, and of the people who left, 75% would refer dataxu to a friend (we survey every employee before they leave). In our 2018 engagement survey, 90% of our employees who responded said dataxu operates by strong values and ethics and 86% felt that as a company, we were going in the right direction – both things that would coincide with a good reputation. dataxu had ONE global reduction in force more than 18 months ago so it’s unfortunate your perception is so different, and incorrect. Per one of your “pro’s” about dataxu, we seem to be transparent, so you can agree that any time there is any organizational change, it is done in an effort to align our strategy with the industry and to continue our success, and the reason for them is always communicated to every employee globally. Every team at dataxu has its own People Strategy Business Partner. If you are not comfortable addressing your concerns about dataxu with your manager, your Business Partner is a confidential resource that is there to provide information, hear your feedback, and help to ensure you are engaged and feeling good about being here. Please feel free to reach out to them! Otherwise, we can’t help. Responding to this review is our way of trying, but it’s hard to do that when you don’t know who you’re talking to. Finally, it sounds like you’re pretty unhappy at dataxu, despite staying here for over 3 years. Please don’t ever feel like you should stay in any job or at any company where you wouldn’t refer a friend to work or where you feel strategy changes are out of desperation instead of to stay ahead of the market. We want our employees to be fired up to be here and to help us win. Maybe it’s time you think about making a change yourself so that you can feel better about where you come to work every day. We’d rather you be somewhere else and happy than here at dataxu feeling so negatively.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee

AdTech

Mar 10, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

smart people, motivating work environment, upward + lateral mobility, thriving industry.

Cons

adtech is complex, moves fast, will make you angry. dataxu is no longer a startup.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Never a dull moment - if you get yourself involved

Dec 28, 2015 - Manager in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

There is a strong esprit de corps at DataXu with a corresponding and an astonishingly low amount of ego in many of the teams. There is still much to be accomplished and very many opportunities for those who want to get involved. Many of the founders are still actively involved in the company. Top management is very approachable and sincerely wants to create an interesting and exciting environment with opportunities for growth but also one that has a good work/non-work balance. There are really smart people from all over the world working here - meaning that there are always many different and valid views on how to solve a problem; if you pay attention, you can learn a lot quickly.

Cons

The strategy and objectives are not always well-communicated to the rest of the organization. Sometimes new strategies and products are not known until they are complete. Salary is only on par with the industry. If you do not ask questions and insert yourself into situations and opportunities, you may feel like you are being left out. It's not intentional but it does happen. It can be easy to become burned out - you must speak up for yourself. A 'pro' is that this is not frowned upon at all.

6 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company, even better people

Aug 19, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Perks: free lunches once a week, fully stocked kitchens, accessibility to senior management, VERY smart people. Strategy is a strong point for DataXu. Every decision made is very well thought out...and they aren't made in a vacuum. It's hard to find that. Compensation is in the norm for the industry. Benefits are great. Along with other things, they offer unlimited PTO and they cover the yearly deductible for medical and dental (in addition to 85% of the plan costs)

Cons

It's a fast growing company - things change and they change often. You have to be comfortable with that.

2 people found this review helpful

VP, People Strategy

Thanks for your feedback! We’re always looking to address the things that are important to our team, and we pride ourselves on our open, transparent culture, particularly around senior management, and are glad you see that while working here!

6. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Lost its Luster

Sep 12, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

DataXu is great at hiring extremely smart people. Teamwork and respect among colleagues is great.

Cons

Unfortunately, all of those smart people leave because they soon realize the leadership doesn't know they're doing and takes any criticism as something they must defend rather than learn from. Lots of changes have occurred over the past year but while the company talks about how it values employees, HR is very isolated and impersonal and doesn't interact with the employees, and is kind of, well, cold. I joined DataXu because I believed the company truly respected its employees and wanted us all to be successful together. I am starting to realize that DataXu has become a BIG COMPANY, but it doesn't have the strategy and systems in place to support that business model. Executive are afraid of the leadership and don't want to speak up. I am starting to realize that we will never go IPO, and I am hoping we get sold.

13 people found this review helpful

VP, People Strategy

Thanks for your feedback and compliment on how we hire. DataXu prides itself on hiring smart people, and we’re glad you think teamwork is a strong aspect of our culture! As a rapidly growing company, you’re right, there have been a lot of changes. As we’ve grown in the past three years to meet market and customer needs, our culture and strategy have evolved as well. With any growth spurt, there are bound to be some growing pains, and we’re working on making sure that DataXu remains a great place to work in Boston, across the US, and globally. Your feedback on the people strategy team is disheartening and I’m sorry that’s been your experience. Recently, we’ve sponsored everything from a corn-hole tournament in Boston to an in-depth global engagement survey to evaluate where the company is excelling and where we can do better, to a revamped manager training program. These are all things we hope demonstrate how we do value, respect and are investing in our employees. I hope this has addressed some of your concerns. I’m happy to discuss further if you want drop me a note or submit additional feedback through Ask the CEO.

7. 3.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Good Internship Experience

Aug 24, 2015 - Software Engineer Intern in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice, interesting product, smart people to work with

Cons

Wasn't happy with the work I was doing, and was unable at time to know what work I would find more interesting.

VP, People Strategy

Thanks for your feedback! We will take a look at our internship program and ensure we are providing the highest quality learning experience that we can for all of our interns in the future. Best of luck with your job search. Tiffany

8. 5.0
      Current Employee

One of the top 5 companies in marketing in the world.

May 14, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great market served in digital programmatic space . expected growth of 30+% per year. Is a technology leader here. True vision for the future of technology impacting marketing success and ROI for companies. Seasoned and capable leadership team. Welcoming and low key work environment, where people can work on their own and innovatingly. . Very smart people work here and I continue to learn alot each week. Inc. Magazine recently ranked it the fastest growing company in the US in marketing

Cons

Not enough women in exec positions. Growth pains exist on hiring, resulting in heavy, but interesting work loads. competition is getting more intense in our market, and product differentiation is challenging for engineering and product teams. Pay is middle of the market, not great, but stock plan is generous.

4 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Fun company

Nov 18, 2013 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very smart people, fun culture, flexible hours and interesting work

Cons

Company direction, goals, lack of management communication

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

DataXu is great place to get valuable knowledge and experience for a jump to a better opportunity.

Oct 18, 2013 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

DataXu is built on top of extremely smart people, and fosters great innovation and personal autonomy to get the most out of employees.

Cons

DataXu could do better with fostering career growth for individuals. Compensation is good but could be more competitive.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 Reviews