LMI is a consultancy dedicated to powering a future-ready, high-performing government, drawing from expertise in digital and analytic solutions, logistics, and management advisory services. We deliver integrated capabilities that incorporate emerging technologies and are tailored to customers’ unique mission needs, backed by objective research and data analysis. Founded in 1961 to help the Department of Defense resolve complex logistics management challenges, LMI continues to enable growth and transformation, enhance operational readiness and resiliency, and ensure mission success for federal civilian and defense agencies.
LMI is currently seeking an innovative, experienced, and highly-skilled Data Engineer to join our growing Data Operations team in Tysons, VA. In this role, you will create and develop custom solutions for our users in a collaborative, fast-paced, state-of-the art environment. To be successful in this role, you will be thorough, creative, and exceptionally well-skilled in all phases of the development lifecycle, with a passion for continued learning and collaboration.
- Process, clean, and verify the integrity, accuracy, completeness, and uniformity of data from a variety of structured and non-structured data sources.
- Identify and integrate new data sources into existing data pipelines.
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques.
- Build data analytics and data science tools that improve data quality, such as entity resolution, natural language processing, and automatic validation processes.
- Give recommendations and implement ways to improve data reliability, efficiency, and quality.
- Document all processes, models and activities.
- Research and keep up-to-date with latest data cleansing and curation techniques and technology.
- Collaborate with systems architects, data scientists, and analysts to optimize the quality of data.
Languages, Tools, and Techniques:
- Data pipeline and ETL tools, such as Streamsets or EMR and Glue on AWS.
- Advanced working knowledge of SQL and NoSQL, as well as working familiarity with a variety of database types.
- Experience building and optimizing data pipelines, architectures, and datasets.
- Experience with using open source software and data science techniques such as entity resolution, natural language processing, and automation.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data sources and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for quality improvement.
- Knowledge of ETL tools, data APIs, data modeling, and data warehousing solutions.
- Comfort working in a dynamic environment with several ongoing concurrent projects; able to multitask, prioritize, and manage time effectively.
- Creative problem solver who thrives when presented with a challenge and can analyze problems and strategize for better solutions.
- 5+ years performing data curation and cleansing, including data engineering, ETL, and data quality assessments.
- Secret clearance highly preferred
- MS in Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent field and 5+ years of experience in a similar data engineer role;
- BS in Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent field and 7+ years of experience in a similar data engineer role
- Advanced data engineering experience required, including 3-5 years of experience with curating and cleaning data
- Experience working with AWS cloud services such as EC2, EMR, RDS, Redshift, DocumentDB, etc.
- R, Python, Ruby, C++, Perl, Java, SAS, SPSS, and Matlab skills desired
- Experience gathering and decomposing requirements
- Proven record of solution development and deployment
- Outstanding communication skills, written and verbal
- Highly organized and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Team-player mentality with a positive attitude
- Keen attention to detail and solid analytical skills
- Able to articulate complex, abstract concepts concisely and effectively