Caltech (California) Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 19 Jan 2019

2.6

Sort:

Lab Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Caltech (California) (Pasadena, CA (US)) in September 2008.

Interview

It was administrative and technical position. Though it was not required to have technical backgroup, it was preferred. I had an interview with one faculty member who was the one to work with. Since I did not have any science and engineerring background and worked at Caltech, no offer was the result.

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Caltech (California) (Pasadena, CA (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

I responded to a posting on the Techerlink, met up with the professor to talk about the project, and got the part-time job. He described to me the time commitment and on-boarding process that would be required.

Staff Scientist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Caltech (California).

Interview

Hired from postdoc position into staff role. Must have PhD from top tier research institution. Letters of recommendation go a long way towards distinguishing you from your peers.

Negotiation

There wasn't any negotiation - take it or leave it.

Staff Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Caltech (California).

Interview

Process was very easy. Met with HR just so that they could take me to the hiring manager. The interview was up to the discretion of the manager so I believe each interview is unique.

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caltech (California) (Pasadena, CA (US)) in January 2010.

Interview

I was asked about my background, my motivation for applying, how I would make use of my time during my job, I was interested in the field I was applying for and if there was anything else that i wanted to add or if I had any questions. The interview was short, only about 15 minutes.

Undergraduate Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Caltech (California) (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in May 2016.

Interview

I emailed the professor, and talked to him in person about the project. Then I wrote a proposal with his guidance, and applied for the program. The program is not hard to apply to as long as the professor decide to take you in.

Interview Questions

• Research I have participated before. My interest. My skill.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caltech (California) (Pasadena, CA (US)) in February 2012.

Interview

Caltech has a sizable Human Resources department. I applied for the position in late December and was not contacted until late February. The HR person who assisted me was very pleasant and detailed and sent over some instructions for the interview; where to park, where to go, etc. She explained the position thoroughly and advised me to look over their website to become familiar with this famous campus.

When I arrived, I did not meet the HR person I spoke with, rather I was given a map to go ahead and meet with the interviewer immediately. The position I was interviewing for was in the division of math, physics and astronomy (so cool!) and their style was very relaxed. My interview lasted almost two hours, but the interviewer was very welcoming and it helped that their dress code is none.

Ultimately, I came up short with some of the skills they needed, but overall, it was a basic interview.

Questions asked:

Tell me about a particular achievement in your previous job?
    What are your weak points?
    How do you deal with a manager that is practically non-existent?
    Do you work well on your own?
    Tell me why you are the person for this position?

Hope this helps! I really had a great experience and if you are looking for a position in an academic setting, look into this place. The campus is beautiful, the people are beyond brainy and the benefits are excellent. Looks like pay is good too. Another bonus - not every position has to go through a background check or drug test.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a recent accomplishment in your previous position   Answer Question

Senior Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Caltech (California) (San Jose, CA (US)) in January 2011.

Interview

was great and welcoming. We came and conquered, we ate cake and left. The questions were professional and spot on. Respectful people for a respectful organization. I would recommend you apply and start enjoying your job

Interview Questions

• Degree and experience history   1 Answer

Grad Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Caltech (California) (Pasadena, CA (US)).

Interview

There was a personal statement, submission of grades, and letters of recommendation component in the application. All of this was done in an online application. Having a caltech connection is useful for getting in.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Caltech (California) (Pasadena, CA (US)) in February 2013.

Interview

1 hour of Skype interview with a professor. I gave a presentation about my master study and my work experience. I had to prepare slides and gave an 1 hour presentation. The admission came after about 10 days after the interview.

Interview Questions

• What happens if you shrink transistor size? (e.g. leakage current)   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.