Engrade Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Engrade Interview Questions

Interviews at Engrade

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Engrade in April 2014.

Interview

Applied through on campus career fair. Gave me a call to on site interview. First build a project as a team then interviewed individually. Test your type speed. One technical question. Got rejected 30 days after but still appreciate the experience it brought me.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Engrade (Santa Monica, CA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online for a PHP Engineer opening.
    Then got a call from HR asked my backgrounds, experience in PHP, etc.
    After that, got a coding challenge, which was to simply make a table showing students' grades for different assignments, given a PHP array.

A day after I submitted the coding challenge, then got a phone interview (a conversation with two people).
    They asked me a lot of behavioral questions like what you want to do, how do your friends describe your personality, etc.
    Then a lot of definitions about HTML, Javascript, SQL and PHP (such as what is closure, PHP superglobal, etc.)
    Although I wasn't able to answer some of them (something like what is SQL's 'EXPLAIN' used for?),
    I still got invited for onsite interview after a day.

For the onsite interview, there were three parts.
    1) Design database tables for gradebook, many followup questions to expand the tables.
    2) Typing test (just to test your typing speed)
    3) A simple PHP coding question (find which assignment to drop to get the best grade)
    Although the interviewers said I did a great job, and the recruiter said that she got great feedback from them after the interview, they still ended up choosing the person with more experience in PHP.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Engrade (Santa Monica, CA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Went to their Intern day. First off, we started with an intro to the company and their projects. Then we had a group project in which we presented. Then there was a typing test and a technical interview. Depending on the interviewer you get, you may just answer questions on a piece of paper and not actually have a conversational interview.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a project you did and why you like software engineering   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Engrade in January 2016.

Interview

I first had a short conversation with their in-house recruiter. Later I had a phone interview with a panel of 5 people, each asking a few questions on a given topic: mysql, javascript, php, linux command line. There were a number of simple behavioral questions as well.

Things went down hill when they brought be in for an in-person interview. They had a 5 person panel again with only one person asking questions. His questions were rather basic: design a table structure for this data. Then he started adding things to make it more complicated.

He seemed to have a specific way of representing the data and would not accept anything else. He would repeatedly suggest adding a column for any problem. I've seen that happen before and chose a method that is more scaleable.

Afterwards there was a simple algorithm test.

Judging by the feedback, I would have had to agree with the interviewer on every point to get an offer. The in-person interview questions were very heavy in schema design, which isn't a very good factor to begin with.

Senior PHP Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Engrade (Santa Monica, CA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

I got contact by a recruiter. A couple of behavior questions, like, why do you wanna leave your current job, plus some very basic questions about PHP and Linux command. Then I received a phone call from the recruiter the next day said they want to schedule a tech phone interview.

The tech phone interview was scheduled on a Friday but on Friday early morning I got an emergency so I contacted recruiter, she was really helpful and kindly helped me to push the interview to the following Monday at the last minutes.
    The tech phone interview can be divided into two parts. First parts are all behavior questions, the second parts are some advanced tech question about PHP/JS/Linux/Mysql. Although I couldn't answer them all, I give all my thinking process for every question that I didn't know at that time.

Then I got in person interview scheduled on the following Monday. Three parts for the on-site. 1). A group discussion (with 3 developer) about system design for a student grade database. Lots of follow up questions. 2). Talked to a engineer manager about the overall project in Engrade and browse the company environment. 3). Answer questions on a computer on a online testing system. A essay about whats your favorite project, type speed testing and a simple algorithm coding in PHP.

After two days, I got feedback form recruiter said they admire my skill set, HOWEVER, they want to setup another phone interview because during the on site I didn't show much team chemistry with them...

On the last phone interview, I was asked a lot of behavior questions again because the interviewer was another director who said he missed both phone and on-site interview with me before. Asked about How would you react with your teammate if you two have different opinion? How do you think Engrade (Or online edu system) can help E-leanring industry? To design a servey, what questions would you ask?

I was told they want to pass on to other candidate today, because 1). I cannot communicate well with the team... 2). I don't have a good idea that how to help Engrade in the E-learning industry...

Interview Questions

• How do you think Engrade (Or online edu system) can help E-leanring industry?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.