Great Western Railway Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Great Western Railway Interview Questions

Interviews at Great Western Railway

3.2

Customer Host Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Great Western Railway.

Interview

Everything was done very professionally and in a good amount of time. The whole process was straight forward and flawless. It was one of the most well presented interview process I have had.

Project Manager Interview

Interview

questions and presentation, and a general talk through of experience. they do give you an opportunity to express your self which is good because they then get to know you a little bit rather than just asking a set of questions that doesn't really shine your personality through.

Commercial Insight Analyst Interview

Interview

Didn't receive any feedback on the interview despite being promised that I would be provided with some on multiple occasions. Their HR function must be a shambles of the highest order.

Interview Questions

• An exercise estimating revenue gained from a marketing campaign.   Answer Question

Customer Host Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swindon, Gloucestershire, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Great Western Railway (Swindon, Gloucestershire, South West England, England (UK)) in October 2019.

Interview

- Group introductions (10 of us)
    - Discussed a question in a small group and fed back to everyone else
    - Listening test
    - Numeracy test

Some applicants removed from process

- A trolley cart exercise where you choose items to put on your trolley based on a scenario
    - Write a train announcement based on a given scenario

Customer Service Host Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Great Western Railway (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in August 2019.

Interview

Filled out the online application form. Heard back from GWR that I needed to complete an online assessment. After that was completed, I received another email saying I needed to complete another assessment. After completing the assessment, I didn’t hear back from them for about 6 weeks. I’d gone on holiday to Spain and got back and still not heard from them. Then one evening boom I receive an email congratulating me and asking me to come to their assessment centre in Swindon which I was happy about. No information about what the interview/ assessment entailed was given. Did my own little research on the company and all. Went for the assessment and we were split into 3 Groups and were asked to do a presentation. After that, we then did a listening test and then a numeracy test as well. Then we were given a little break. After the break, they split us again into 3 groups and asked up to do a little presentation about filling the trolley with snack and drinks on a hot summer afternoon after lunch and explain why we chose the items we did. Once that was done, they give us another little break and then to our surprise the so-called interviewers came in and asked 3 people out of the 13 or so of us to leave the room and then one of the other interviewers came in and told the rest of us that we weren’t successful: JUST LIKE THAT! And asked us to leave. Everyone was gobsmacked as we all thought we did well (apparently not). In fact, one of the Candidates selected had trainers on and didn’t even make an effort to look smart. Really surprising tbh. Has to be one of the weirdest interview processes I’ve ever experienced.

Interview Questions

• Was in a group. They asked us what How important standards are to a company. They asked one of the other groups what they knew about GWR.   Answer Question

Train Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Great Western Railway in August 2019.

Interview

The whole process took just over 3 & 1/2 months - which is crazy really....however this is normal by railway standards. 1st stage was 3 different online tests, having to pass the first test to proceed to the next (situational judgement, numeracy and literacy). 2nd stage was 3 different paper tests sat at their Swindon offices (tests included; concentration, verbal reasoning and ticket selling and checking). 3rd stage was group assessments, more about showing your personality off and standing out from the crowd and finally the last stage was an interview - basic "why do you want the job" questions, followed by more in-depth situational experience questions.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you provided excellent customer service   Answer Question

Customer Host Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Great Western Railway in August 2019.

Interview

Group assessment, followed by 'X-factor style through to the next round'.

However, I got through with one other. The process then felt rushed I was told I was then to have an interview, when my invite said assessment centre with nothing about interviews (already I was unprepared).

Because of this I reluctantly had the interview, did the best to my ability (If I knew that I was going to have an interview on this day I would have prepared more). I felt the interviewers were pushing me to the next question. They were rushing me in MY interview. As it was getting close to the allotted time before the next group arrived, and I was promised that I would have a test PA but that didn't happen.

Upon talking with other applicants I found out that GWR already interviewed a few internal applicants the day before.

The process was positive, I gained much needed experience. But, the interview, group work, and all other bits involved felt rushed, and a bit disorganised.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about GWR?   1 Answer

Ticket Examiner Full Time Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Great Western Railway (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in June 2019.

Interview

Online assessment. I then went to an assessment.and got through to the interview..
    I applied for a full time time position and then waited three weeks to be offered a part time job .not even an email

Interview Questions

• Why should they employ you ?   1 Answer

Service Delivery Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Great Western Railway in June 2019.

Interview

There was an online assessment that you have to do which asks you questions about dealing with situations at stations or as a train manager, once this was done it took them about a month to email me again inviting me to a test centre in Swindon. This was changed to another location at short notice. I arrived at the station and was the only candidate there on time, the other two turned up ten minutes late, We had to sit through an audio test and mark a sheet with yes/no answers, this took about 45 minutes to complete at which point we were asked to go outside and wait for fifteen minutes for the tests to be marked. Each one of us were seen individually to be told the results of the test, I was told that not only had I passed but I had scored very highly and so was invited to a competency-based interview twenty minutes later which would last about 40-45 minutes.
    The interview started late and I was surprised that I was not asked about my knowledge of the company or where I had been working most recently, instead the interviewers asked me five questions, followed by a brief outline of the rota system and then I was asked If I had any questions of which I had a couple, then I was basically escorted out of the office for a total interview time of about eleven minutes. It was totally clear that I was not their preferred choice of candidate from minute one and the rushed interview and lack of questions about my knowledge really forced that home.

Interview Questions

• What do you understand the role of Delivery Service Assistant to be?   1 Answer
    • Can you tell us a time when you have had to cope with extra workloads during a time of colleague absence and How did you cope with the situation?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell us a time when you went out of your way to help a customer?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell us a time when you have stepped in to help out a colleague who was struggling with their workload?   Answer Question
    • How would you respond if a colleague challenged your work practices?   Answer Question

Customer Service Host Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Great Western Railway (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Introductions, split in to groups for a presentation, listening test and group discussion. No point going if you're not fitting their aesthetic that they look for. The HR lady is rough around the edges and the whole process is unfair. Surely an interview should go along with an assessment.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.