MapR Technologies Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

MapR Technologies Interview Questions

Interviews at MapR Technologies

3.1

Knowledge Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MapR Technologies (San Jose, CA (US)) in April 2017.

Interview

Phone screen by hiring manager. Followed by HR phone interview within a couple days. Then onsite interview within a few days. Clear communication from all company personnel on next steps and what to expect next - I appreciated this the most.

Interview Questions

• Mostly situational interview for process and program management situations and skills review.
      Some technical questions about experience in Sys-admin in Linux platforms - intention behind these questions was to ensure comfort and basic tech skills needed for knowledge articles curation / validation.

Interesting situations were around "Best practices in how to populate the KB with value added articles", "How to keep the KB fresh", and how to get over the what's in it for me questions that Support engineers are often posed with. Also, how KB process integrates with Communities.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at MapR Technologies (Raleigh, NC (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

On-Campus Interview. The rounds of interview were fairly good. Although fairly simple and short. They were possibly meant to be a screening round.

Had a next phone round. Went well. But the short-listed people were never contacted back.

I'm guessing the Recruitment team must be bad, for the employees who conducted the interviews were courteous and smart. I did contact one of them via email and was informed that they were equally surprised why the company did not take it forward.

Interview Questions

• Data structures, Java, Algorithms   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at MapR Technologies.

Interview

Pretty tough interview has lot of technical guys. You have core techincal questions to answer . Mostly around hadoop and big data. There could be multiple rounds. check memory managemtn with in kernel and file system

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Pretty good

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at MapR Technologies (San Jose, CA (US)) in July 2016.

Interview

I was interviewing with some competitors/partners in the area so I applied online, was accepted for an onsite interview. There I met all of the stakeholders in my onboarding, the hiring manager, the sales manager, Sales development manager, and the VP of Sales. The interview was open ended, but they dove through the typical dissection of cultural fit, my track record, and understanding of the current big data landscape.

Interview Questions

• Questions pertaining to cultural fit, work-ethic fit, sales best practices, etc   2 Answers

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MapR Technologies (San Jose, CA (US)) in May 2017.

Interview

The hiring manager contacted me. The phone screening went well. I had an onsite interview the following week. They asked me to come back for another onsite. This is the first time I met with the recruiter. I felt like I was being interrogated in a police station. It was very uncomfortable.

Interview Questions

• Describe the product development release process   1 Answer
    • Describe Agile vs. Waterfall   1 Answer
    • What tools have you used for bug tracking, program management   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MapR Technologies in May 2016.

Interview

It was very informal and with just one person - and not much technical detail, more of an initial "meet and greet" with both of us getting a feel for the the other. I think it was evident at the end that probably neither side thought it was a great match for a variety of reasons.

Interview Questions

• What I had done in the past - more detail beyond my CV.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MapR Technologies in May 2013.

Interview

Had close to 10 rounds of interviews over 3 days and no offer. After 7 rounds of interview, the HR gets back saying that they are very impressed with me and I need to have final meetings. After the final meeting, they say that they've hired another candidate. This is very disappointing for the following reasons:
    1. They gave me false hope through out the interview that I was doing well and finally declined without providing me a concrete reason.
    2. They had 3 separate days of onsite interviews(close to 10 hours in total) after 1 phone interview which is an absolute overkill given that after each onsite I was mentioned that 'this is going to be the last rounds of meeting'.
    3. They were not frank with their reason(whatever tiny crappy mail send to me). The reason was ' pursued another candidate for our position'. I was told on multiple occasions during the interview (even at the final technical interview) that they found me as a good fit for 2 teams.. How come another candidate can fill in both roles?

My advice to the company is : Firstly, if you cannot complete a candidate interview on 1 on-site interview,, do not trouble him/her. Secondly, the same person need not interview a candidate multiple times; it is the duty of the interviewer to judge the candidate in a single round. Thirdly, provide a solid feedback to the candidate if he/she is not hired; appreciate the candidate's effort and time and tell him/her frankly as to why he/she may not be a good fit. The interview taught me to decline any future interviews where the team wants me to undergo more than 1 day of on-site rounds of interviews.

Interview Questions

• The design qns can be vague where as the coding qns are standard ones. Cannot disclose the qns due to NDA.   1 Answer

Senior Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at MapR Technologies (San Jose, CA (US)).

Interview

I applied via LinkedIn. I got a call within a week. I had 1 technical phone screen which want that difficult. After the phone screen I got an onsite call. Onsite interview was for 4 hrs with 4 different 1v1 interviews. In the first interview the discussion was on my previous work experience. The Second Interview was more technical. I was asked to write a recursive algorithm( return true if there is a path from root to a leaf with total sum == sum), LRU Cache, there are numbers from 1..n in a list of numbers with size (n+k) with k duplicates. Print k duplicates. Third Interview was with the hiring manager he told me why I should consider MapR and he asked me to write a program which should read form a huge file and write into a huge file and how will I scale it. Final Interview was another programming interview. He asked me to write a breath first search. Once I completed he wanted me to insert line breaks after every level. Then clock angle question.
    The interview process was fun. But its a really long technical interview which was a bit tiring experience.

Interview Questions

• 1. Read from a huge file say 1tb and write it into a huge file and scale it
      2. Write a code piece from your previous project(unexpected!)
      3. LRU cache
      4. BFS with line breaks (not necessarily balanced)   2 Answers

Senior Accountant Interview

Interview

Phone interviewed with a recruiter who didn’t even know what she was asking! She doesn’t have any background knowledge of my field and gave comments without trying to understand. I feel lack of respect and she is definitely unprofessional. Also, she didn’t introduce the company or the position and she even didn’t give me any chance to ask a question! Be prepared to talk to someone is careless and avoid it if you can!

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MapR Technologies in November 2015.

Interview

Very comprehensive interview process. After a brief discussion with the recruiter, she set up three technical phone interviews and a face to face with the hiring manager. The next round was a group presentation and then five one on one interviews followed by another phone interview with an executive who was out of the country. I can only say, be very prepared.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.