Michel Design Works Interview Questions

Updated 1 Mar 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 2 of over 2 interviews

HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at Michel Design Works

Michel Design Works

Anonymous Employee in Katonah, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Michel Design Works (Katonah, NY) in Oct 2020

Interview

Easy and quick. I had a phone interview first that lasted about 15 minutes and then I was invited for an in person interview with a tour of the store. There I met the store lead and HR manager who did my phone interview.

Interview Questions
  • Are you comfortable being creative?
    1 Answer
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Michel Design Works

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katonah, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Michel Design Works (Katonah, NY)

Interview

I got the interview through a recruiter, she was asked if I can lay out cad prints on box silhouettes. This is something I always do so I felt confident about the interview. When I got to the interview and started showing my portfolio and talking about my experience the women interviewing me already said I was wrong for the position but she said I can take a test on someone’s computer to see if I can do the work they are looking for. She also said that since they are so busy she would have no time to train anyone at all and that the ideal candidate would have to know exactly what she wants without training. Amazing, I have freelanced at dozens of design companies and there is ALWAYS a few days of training someone with what specifics the company needs, every company is different, it is impossible for someone to know your specific system of work and how it gets done. If you looking to hire someone full time training is a must to have a solid groundwork. But I agree to take the “test” and I was placed at someone’s work station and they loaded up cad prints and technical box drawings. First they wanted me to create a complex pattern with multiple images and then have it work on all angles of the box, for example the pattern would flow from the top view and be continuous over the sides and bottom with the removable lid. So not only was I asked to create a complex pattern but also to engineer it on 6 sides of the box in an hour. I can completely do this if I was given adequate time and not trying to also figure out someone else’s computer at the same time. Half of my time was trying to figure out the mouse and where they stored the files. It was like they are setting people up to fail. Also it was a Friday and the woman interviewing me wanted to go home so i felt even more rushed. When I was done she said “this wouldn’t be a good job for you”. Although I know I could do that job if I had time to process it, I know I could be wonderful at it, but I would never want to work for her or in an environment where they place strange expectations on workers like that. It was by far the weirdest interview I have ever went on. I wish them luck and hope they find the perfect person.

Interview Questions
  • Can you take a test to see if you can create the box cad print and lay it out on 6 sides of the box within an hr on someone else’s computer?
Be the first to find this interview helpful