Netflix Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 11 Apr 2019

2.9

Sort:

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in August 2017.

Interview

Started with a phone screen with an HR member. It was a brief 30min conversation with standard questions about Netflix. 2nd round was a Skype meeting with the hiring manager; 30min call with case like questions. 3rd round I was invited on site for a couple of interviews with people based in the US office (I was applying for a position overseas). Same case like questions and each interview took 30min. For the 4th round I was invited to their LA office for a full day of interviews. I had five 30min conversations and if successful I would be invited to the 5th round with a couple of VPs. I did well and managed to go to the 5th round. Then I talked with with VP and this is it.
    The next day I received a call during the morning from the HR saying that I wasn't a good fit for the position because I don't have some skills required for the position.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Netflix in July 2018.

Interview

Applied online. Received an email one week later scheduling phone interview. Phone interview lasted twenty minutes. Interviewer commented that I did not have enough experience for the position. Did not receive any further communication from the company.

Leadership Position Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Netflix in February 2013.

Interview

The phone interview took 30 minutes and the questions were normal for a first interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I got a phone call from the recruiter. I have studied the Netflix cultures slides before. The recruiter asks me about what i have done and some questions about what i learnt from Netflix culture from the slides. That was all. Next day, i received an email saying i am not a good fit for the position! Without any contact with the team or any technical discussion.

Interview Questions

• Just about Netflix culture. And why i want to join Netflix   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Netflix in October 2017.

Interview

After applying online, got a response back from a recruiter - took 2-3 times to get on initial call - first there was miscommunication on availability, then recruiter went on a two-week vacation, said we'll be in touch afterwards. I almost forgot about them, when I got a call back to talk about the opening. First step, went well - got to next step to talk to dev manager. Went well - got set up to talk to one of the engineers on the team. Got on a call - talked for about half hour - everything went well, was told to expect an email with a link to an exercise.

Never got anything back - not from the engineer nor from the recruiter. Emailed recruiter a few times, never heard back.

At least some kind of a response would be nice.

Interview Questions

• Describe different JS challenges that you've come across.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA (US)) in February 2016.

Interview

3 phone interviews - one HR and two technical. An onsite loop including two parts: first part is 4 technical and 1 HR and if the feedback is positive you move to the second part which is to meet with two directors. Overall the interview experience was great, and I met smart people that I would have enjoyed working with (including the team's manager). I did well on the technical part and met with the two directors. The first was an HR director and the second was the person who would have been my skip level. I noticed that the interaction with him was the least positive from all the people I've met on that day. It seemed as if he came into the meeting with some form of negative bias. Two days later I was informed that I was not fit for the role. The team's manager sent me feedback. I was very happy about this because usually companies refrain from giving candidates direct feedback. Based on the feedback I'm certain that the meeting with the last director cost me the job. This is unfortunate, because Netflix seems to be a great company to work for, and the people are great. My biggest tip is that when you interview, make sure to stay focused all the way through. Every interview counts - including the last two director interviews which seem to be more easy going but are crucial just the same. Another important tip that I received feedback on is to show passion and enthusiasm about the company and about the role. They are looking for people who are really "into" the domain the company is in and in the specific domain of the role. If you don't show enthusiasm they'll not hire you!

Interview Questions

• Given a binary search tree find the kth smallest element.   2 Answers
    • given a set of tasks with dependency between them.Schedule the tasks. The added catch is to schedule them such that if two task are not dependent on each other, you should schedule them in parallel.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA (US)).

Interview

Interviewed for a software engineer position with heavy focus on analytical and measurement background. All three interviewers focused on analytical and experimental design questions, no software engineering questions asked at all. Several days later I was turned down with a reason "you qualified in the analytical and data aspect, but we were looking for a product engineer."

Interview Questions

• One PM asked about designing A/B testing, brainstorming how to get users back.

One Data Scientist asked SQL query questions, and probed some design considerations in creating A/B tests.

One engineer asked me to thoroughly design a staged launch plan including pre-launch A/B testings. He mentioned it's an open question and let me design it freely.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Netflix in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online in December and got the phone interview in January. Two questions were asked in the interview. The first question was similiar to decode ways on leetcode. And the second question was about how to design a system related to phone numbers and the scale of the system. Several functions needed to be designed like whether the phone number was taken. BTW, the interviewer is male and nice.

Interview Questions

• Decode ways on leetcode.
      A message containing letters from A-Z is being encoded to numbers from1-26. Determine the total number of ways to decode a given message   Answer Question
    • Build a system related to phone numbers. How to design and the scale of the system.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Netflix.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for the company, and given links to Reed Hastings' famous Powerpoint deck about how Netflix is managed. I'd recommend reading this before talking to them, not just so you are more familiar with how things are done in Los Gatos, but because you will be asked to give your thoughts on this during the initial screening.

The screening was nothing unusual, though it focused more on how you'd fit in with the company culture than the usual; it's clearly very important for Netflix.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Netflix.

Interview

I was contacted by a Netflix HR rep via linkedin. I followed up, spoke to the HR person, and then had a phone interview with a technical manager. I passed that initial phone-screen, but declined the on-site interview when I realized that all Netflix employees work on-site in Los Gatos, CA, and I would have had to relocate.

Interview Questions

• The phone interview covered some simple algorithmic questions - what is the complexity of lookup/insert for a linked list? A hash table? We talked through the computation of Fibonacci numbers.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.