Octopus Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Octopus Interview Questions

Interviews at Octopus

2.9

Social Media Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Octopus (El Paso, TX (US)) in July 2018.

Interview

Intensive but informative. It was a thorough process, however, it made me feel like they were serious about getting the best people for the position so it made me feel excited to work with others who would be qualified.

Interview Questions

• How I would go about growing a page organically?   1 Answer

Investment Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Octopus (London, England (UK)) in September 2020.

Interview

I applied for a role with the operations team at Octopus Ventures. First HR called to discuss the role in a bit more detail, next I had a 30 minute zoom call with the hiring manager and a 30 minute call with HR. There were some competency questions and questions around my CV. It felt more like a conversation and there was a lot about culture fit and the Octopus values, which are really important to them. You can tell that they stand by those values and want to find employees that will fit in well with the team.

Next I had a numerical and verbal reasoning test, these I'd recommend practicing for before. Then I had a case study: Part 1 you complete in 24 hours and part 2 is done during the next interview stage with the Operations Manager. I found the case study quite easy so long as you are competent with excel.

The final stage was two more 30 minute interviews. One with an Associate on the team and one with the CEO of Octopus Ventures. Again it felt like culture fit was quite important so they wanted me to meet as many people on the team as possible. These were quite casual and included some of the same questions as the first stages. Questions around my CV and my experience for the role.

The whole process was really efficient and I appreciated getting updates regularly from the Octopus team about the status of my application. It was one of the most enjoyable and well organised interview processes I've ever been a part of. They are clearly a passionate and welcoming team.

Interview Questions

• They asked questions around their core values: being bold, straightforward and helpful. For example which I could relate to most.   Answer Question
    • They asked questions around how your friends would describe you. The good and the bad.   Answer Question

24 Sep 2020

Thanks very much for taking the time to feed back on your interview. It’s great to hear our values were communicated effectively during the initial part of the interview. It’s true that we stand by our values and it’s important that we find the right people to join us. It’s good to hear you weren’t phased by the case study, and we’re pleased you found the process efficient and were kept informed of the next steps. You gave a great interview and although it’s a shame that you didn’t feel able to accept a role with us this time, we’re pleased you had such a positive experience. Thanks again for taking the time to post a review. We wish you the very best for the future.

Business Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Octopus.

Interview

Two separate interview days seeing 4 different members of the Octopus Property Team. I was told they would get back to me after a day or two. I didn't hear back at all even after chasing the HR department twice. I found the lack of communication absolutely disgusting and unacceptable. I wouldn't recommend applying.

Interview Questions

Octopus Response

14 Aug 2020

Thanks for your review. We’re very sorry about the lack of communication on our part. You’re absolutely right, this is not an acceptable way to treat applicants and we’ll be urgently reviewing our recruitment processes to ensure that it doesn’t happen to future applicants. We hope that you enjoyed spending time with the Octopus Property Team and wish you all the best for the future.

Credit Control Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leicester, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Octopus (Leicester, England (UK)) in February 2020.

Interview

It was a face to face interview, where a TL got to know more about you. The role was described in more detail, and how you would fit into the company.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time when you had difficult customer and how did you respond   1 Answer

6 Mar 2020

Thanks for feeding back on your interview, it’s good to hear the Octopus values were communicated effectively. We wish you the best of luck in your search for a new role and hope you’ll apply for suitable future positions with us.

Compliance Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Octopus in January 2020.

Interview

A drawn out 5 stage process which involved a huge amount of repetition and A lack of structure. It felt very much no one was accountable for making a decision and despite being told an offer would be made I withdrew and accepted at another offer as the progress did not give me a good feel of the role and the team I’d be joining.

Interview Questions

Octopus Response

14 Aug 2020

Thanks very much for taking the time to feed back on your interview with us. It’s true that we do have a rigorous interview process and it can take a long time to complete, but that’s because we want to make sure that we properly get to know each applicant. We’re sorry to hear you felt the interview process was unstructured and we’ll be taking your comments on board and reviewing our interview process to see where it can be improved. Thanks again for your review, we wish you the very best of luck in the future.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Octopus (London, England (UK)) in December 2019.

Interview

The process has taken a long time. I had an initial screening and the representative was pleasant and I received feedback a few weeks later, then completed a few assessments and a series of interviews which I thought went well but there has been a lack of communication since then.

Before attending the interview(s), I saw the negative feedback on here about how they don’t give final answers following presentations and interviews and unfortunately I had the same experience. It’s not nice for Octopus to continually keep candidates waiting because it seems like a great place to work at and the employees seem to love their jobs and are extremely friendly but their recruitment process sucks!

They seem to have this ethos of being all about their clients and I think they should apply this to the way they recruit staff.

Personally, if I or other candidates aren’t successful, they should communicate that rather than leaving the candidates to wonder because it’s not nice constantly refreshing your emails and waiting for calls that never come for a job that seems great.

Interview Questions

• Experience?
      what you like most and worst about your current job?
      Technical skills
      Why you want the job?   Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holburn, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Octopus (Holburn, England (UK)) in November 2019.

Interview

Be warned - they fool you into thinking it's just one more interview - 10!!!!
    Phone interview followed by face to face x 4, including HR, followed by a further 2, followed by a further 4. Make up your minds guys - that's at least two man days effort. What exactly are you gaining - it's not going to prevent you employing time wasters as proven by the process.

Interview Questions

Octopus Response

30 Dec 2019 – Octopus Team

Thanks for taking the time to feed back on your interview. We appreciate that our recruitment process is rigorous but feel this is the best way for us to really get to know the applicants. We think it’s important for candidates to have the chance to meet the people they could end up working with, and because each interview focuses on a different aspect of the job role we can be sure that successful candidates are a good fit for the team that they are applying to join. We’re sorry you weren’t successful this time, and wish you the very best for the future.

Business Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Octopus (London, England (UK)) in November 2019.

Interview

A brief phone call with a recruiter and then Octopus' internal recruitment team, I was then put through to an assessment day consisting of a 20 min recruitment interview, sales manager recruitment interview, role play of a product sale. Pretty brutal culling at the end.

Interview Questions

• What recent feedback have you been given which has been negative?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Octopus.

Interview

Thanks to this website, it has been really useful. I can't understand this place at all really. Firstly, I can swear that recently, a few years back, I was keen to work here but had no interviews etc or luck trying to get in. A recruiter had contacted me a year or so ago and I didn't get through, the pay bracket was quite low and wide, the max end is what I'd want as a minimum. So I did apply but unsure when now for a job, some time ago it must've been and I did hear back which was great as I never expected to go through as haven't before, to come in for an interview. Now, surprisngly, the professionalism isn't what I expected or recall and I feel the reputation has dropped in quality. Why not call candidates at all, to slot things in or at least have a 1st stage call? Out of curtsy. There was no info on the processes, pay etc. The person wasn't even HR-related, doing the scheduling... To be honest, there was terms on the title that I've never even heard of, so I felt like I'd be so unready and wouldn't it be a waste of my time, as they said there's many stages with case scenarios etc, yet I couldn't find much details on specifics of the job itself and package, the pay here is even very vague and random. If there's so many stages, they need to start off with a call. I felt I didn't even know what I'd be going in for and the reviews say here that the CEO or whatever is the final approver, a bit much, hassle to keep going in. Is it a startup or corporate then? How can someone non-HR related, be expected to be good at scheduling anyway, they won't be able to help as they won't have overall idea of what they recruit for! The culture here seems complex. I found the role interesting but vague, it seemed like it was doing everything but then maybe sat in 1 team, uncertain whether it was cross functions to oversee or not, it's usually either sat in 1 team at other firms or across... I guess if they ran me through this on a call 1st, it would've helped so much, they've been looking for months now. I felt anxious without someone taking time to even have a brief chat 1st, surely it's in everyone's interest to have a call 1st, I was actually very interested but the lack of formality or friendliness to not bother to do so, made me wonder and I felt quite uneasy. Maybe I should've winged it but then I thought to myself do I really want to go through many stages, without much prep, I can prep but only so much online where it may not answer enough of what I need to get in, I felt I'd be disheartened if I get through to the end and don't get it, why does the C level person get the final say anyway. They don't seem too sure of what they are.

Senior Legal Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Octopus (London, England (UK)) in July 2019.

Interview

Had three interviews in one day; each one took 30 minutes and were consecutive. One with the GC, the person who I was replacing and HR head. There was an overlap in the questions as a result but not overly challenging. Mainly understanding my motivations, speaking about my current role and a few technical questions.

Interview Questions

• What was the reasoning behind your choice of school and university?   Answer Question

14 Aug 2020

Thanks for your feedback. We’re glad to hear you found the interview process straightforward and you felt that the interview gave you the opportunity to talk about yourself and fully communicate your experience and motivations. We’re sorry you weren’t successful in this instance, but please don’t let that put you off from applying for any suitable roles in the future. Thanks again for leaving a review.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.