Sonoma Partners Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Sonoma Partners Interview Questions

3.4

Sort:

Associate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners (New York, NY (US)) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied at a local career fair. Was contacted and asked to complete a coding skills assessment. After successful completion Sonoma conducted a phone interview. After the interview I was asked to complete a second round of coding skills assessments.

Associate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners (Chicago, IL (US)) in November 2015.

Interview

I began by applying to my college school board online and received a request to complete an online assessment exam within a week. The exam was ~25 questions and was time at 30 minutes. It covered a lot of technical details about C#, JS, and SQL.

After completing that, I received an email from a recruiter asking for a phone interview. In this first phone interview, I was asked about my technical background, interests, what attracted me to the company and so on.

After that, I was given a developer test in Java in which I had to complete four functions and make sure they passed their given tests, plus any other tests you can add yourself to ensure all cases were covered. The functions were checking overlapping times between two dates, finding a substring in a string, building a binary tree using recursion, and finding a prime number. You are given a week to complete this and send it back, and I don't think it looks better or worse if you take your time as they interview a lot of busy college kids.

About 3-4 days after submitting my test back, I received an email setting up another phone interview with one of their development principals. This phone interview has two parts. First, you screen share with the developer and do a live coding session in C#. After the coding session was done, I was asked again about my technical background, but went into details and specifics a bit more. Then I had time to ask questions about Sonoma Partners and their development process specifically.

The last step of the interview process was to come on-site for a 4-5 hour interview process in which have four different interviews with recruiting, developers, group sessions, and a lunch to top everything off. In the group session, you are asked to do a whiteboard brainstorm of a simple board game(I won't be any more specific) in which you show off your thinking/planning process rather than your coding.

The very next day I received a call back towards the end of the day with an offer!

All in all, it was a great experience even if I had not received an offer. Getting to go through a real extensive interview process taught me a lot about what it takes to make it in the real world.

Interview Questions

• Q: What interested you in applying for Sonoma Partners?   1 Answer

Junior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners (Chicago, IL (US)).

Interview

Started with a phone screen with a recruiter, then HackerRank challenge (mostly C# and SQL - not too difficult), then phone interview with an engineer and a screen-sharing code along (also not difficult technically but he asked a few tricky questions before we go down to coding), then on-site interview (some technical question, some whiteboarding, and a lot of talking about background, experience, coding knowledge.

Interview Questions

• What are some differences between C# and JavaScript?   1 Answer
    • How would you go about coding a game of checkers in C#?   Answer Question

.NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners (Chicago, IL (US)) in March 2014.

Interview

Most of the ten or so interviews I have gone on in the past few months have been pretty straight forward. They all usually begin with an online test, phone call, followed by a simple personal interview. Sonoma Partners has been the only exception to this. Sonoma seems to be a very cultivated place when it comes to their culture and perhaps is the reason why their interview process is so different and involved. My experience with their interview was all in all great but ended with a "cliff hanger" of sorts. I will divide this review into paragraphs, each one being a part of the interview process.

The first part to their interview process is a simple phone call and completion of a C# proficiency test online. I can't remember the exact site that was used but it was your usual programming test. E.G. What is the difference between an abstract class and an interface etc. It is timed and there are also some workflow questions where you have to follow along by eye and choose the correct output. All in all it was fairly simple.

The second part of the interview process involved another phone call with one of the senior developers. He explained what the company did, their benefits, and asked me a few questions. After the short intro I was told to follow a dotnetfiddle link so that I can code while he watched. He was very easy going, down to earth, and willing to help you along the way. I believe the problem I had to fix had to do something with ordering datetimes and was not too difficult. The first problem he presented me with made use of the C# Tuple class which I had never seen before. He tried explaining it but eventually gave me another problem. Apparently I wasn't the first to complain about the tuple.

The third part to the interview process was another coding test. This time I was sent a project in which I had to provide implementation to solve four different problems. The problems are as follows : 1) Find the Nth Prime 2) Make a method to return a boolean indicating if a set of input dates overlapped 3.) Find the needle in the haystack (an array of strings (haystack) an array of strings (needle)) 4) Build a tree view in code using a dataset that is set for you already. They gave me a week to do it but I turned it in three days later.

For the fourth part I was told that the senior developer really liked me and that I did great on my tests. They asked me to come in for an almost 4 hour face to face interview process. I went in and first met with the VP of development who was very laid back and young. He almost gave me the vibe of a California surfboarder. He asked me to go over my resume and also tell him what my interests and hobbies were.

The second part of this interview was with two senior developers. They had me write out pseudo code on how I would go about creating the structure of a checkers game. After that they had me try and implement it in code. I did not finish but they told me that no one ever finishes, it's just meant to see how you think when you code. Both of the developers were pretty cool although they were a lot less down to earth than the VP of development.

The third part to this interview was with the principle of development. This guy was just like the VP of development, very down to earth and easy going. We basically talked about my resume and he went through a list of programming concepts and technologies asking me if I knew each one or not.

The final part of this interview was with the HR lady. She didn't seem as down to earth as the VP and Principle but she was more down to earth than the two senior developers. She asked me your average job applicant personality type questions. This was followed by a wonderlic test which they said they don't really use.

After the interview the VP, one of the senior devs, and the HR lady treated me to lunch.

I emailed the HR lady two days later thanking them for the lunch and apologizing for not saying it earlier as I get anxious on interviews. She responded with the same email that many of the other reviews spoke about. It was robotic and definitely scripted. It did not address my previous email at all and simply said they were pursuing other candidates.

All in all I would say that they are looking for "gen Yers" fresh out of college. I myself am 25 with 4.5 years experience in .net but do not have my college degree. I shared highshools with the HR lady and thought that had scored me some points but it did not. They really like the culture they have there. (I don't blame them) It seems like a really amazing place to work at. I did not see every single employee but from the employees I did see they all seemed to fit the mid 20's Caucasian profile. Some even looked like Hipsters. It is a very young company.

Interview Questions

• Name one thing in the past that you broke, or had a negative impact on (project wise) and explain how you overcame it.   Answer Question

.NET Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners in September 2014.

Interview

You can find every step of the interview process in the previous posts. Their interview questions haven't been changed since 2011 I guess. Over all it seems pretty good, as they have great office and nice staff, but basically you won't get the offer if you need H1B sponsor or something like that.

Interview Questions

Sonoma Partners Response

22 Sep 2014 – Human Resources

We appreciate you taking time to interview with our team. We in fact do provide sponsorship for development positions and have employees for whom we’re providing visa sponsorship currently. Our... More

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners (Chicago, IL (US)) in November 2014.

Interview

Interview process took around 3 weeks and lasted 4 rounds. Phone screen, software demo, phone interview, then they assign a project you have to complete, bring you into the office to present your findings to a panel and follow it up with one-on-one interviews for 3 hours.

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners (Chicago, IL (US)) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied through the company website. Within days, a recruiter contacted me and sent me a link to complete an online skills assessment. The assessment contained excel and marketing questions. She emailed me and said I passed and then scheduled a phone screen with her. After the phone screen, she asked me to complete a case study and marketing email that would be forwarded to the hiring manager. The hiring manager approved of my work and I was scheduled for a phone interview with her. This phone interview consisted of more in depth questions on my previous work experience. Afterwards, the recruiter emailed me to say they wanted me to come in for an in person interview. Before the in person interview, I was emailed another assessment which was more of a personality test. When I arrived on site, I was given a writing exercise to complete and later go over. During the half day I was there, I met with four different people, and I was taken out to lunch. In the last interview of the day, the interviewer asked if I had looked at the company Glassdoor reviews. I said I had, and he expressed displeasure with the company reviews and said he wished he could post similar reviews of his employees. That was the only odd part of the interview day, the rest was normal work experience questions.

Overall the process consisted of:
    Skills Assessment
    Phone Screen w/ HR
    Case Study/Marketing Email
    Phone Interview w/ hiring manager
    Talent Assessment
    Half day in person interview with writing exercise

I understand the company wants to be thorough and hire the right person, however, I think this process was unnecessarily long and complicated. They really make you jump through too many hoops, especially since this was not even a management role.

Interview Questions

• Did you look at our Glassdoor review? What did you think of it?   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners (Chicago, IL (US)) in March 2016.

Interview

Interview process as outlined:

Online test (over 30 questions multiple choice)
    phone screening
    Writing assessment/example
    phone interview with hiring manager
    in-office interview

After applying, Somoma will have you take a test online about topics specific to the position. Once passing the test there was a phone interview with an HR rep. The HR rep scheduled a phone interview with me but never called. She didn't even notify me ahead of time that she needed to reschedule. I heard from her about 30 minutes after the time we scheduled that she missed her calendar notification so we rescheduled for the following day. The phone interview was brief and I was asked very basic questions.

After the interview, the next step was for me to write up a one page case study based on any video on their YouTube page that Sonoma could promote on their site. I was hesitant to do this as I don't always consider it a good idea to do work for free. Is this a clever/shady way for Sonoma to refresh their content without having to pay for it? Will I even receive feedback if I'm not asked to move on to the next step? On top of all this, even if I passed the writing portion of the interview, I would only be guaranteed another phone interview.

My reservations about this interview process all came to fruition. I fully understand that Sonoma's only priority here is to hire a new candidate they feel is qualified and adequately prepared to take on a position with their company, not help the people they don't hire. But for the candidates that don't get hired, they're left with nothing for their work. It took me hours to put together that case study and all I know is it wasn't good enough. Nothing else.

But truth be told, I don't know if that was actually the case because I was never told anyone even read it. There's no way to tell.

Many industries complain about a major talent gap. Fair enough. But how will the talent improve if it doesn't know what they're lacking?

Maybe the case study I wrote for Sonoma sucked, maybe my skill set isn't up-to-par, but at least give me some feedback and show some professional courtesy.

Interview Questions

• The only questions asked in the phone screening were basic background questions - what types of content have your written? have you managed a marketing event? Why do you want to leave your company? What drew you to Sonoma? etc. No tough questions or trick questions.   Answer Question

Sonoma Partners Response

5 Apr 2016 – Sr. Recruiter

We appreciate the time you invested in our interview process and we’re sorry you had a negative experience. We continually look for ways to improve our process and your feedback helps us do that... More

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners (Chicago, IL (US)) in July 2015.

Interview

The 4-step process screens candidates and mocks the actual job responsibilities, including a presentation selling Sonoma to the interviewers. It starts with a phone screening with a recruiter, then a phone screening with the VP of Sales, then a remote mock presentation to the executives of a mock company, and finally an on-site meeting continuing the remote discussion where you're asking for the close.

Interview Questions

• What gets you excited about our space?   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners (Chicago, IL (US)).

Interview

1: Initial phone interview with recruiter. 2: Call with hiring manager. 3: VP of Sales interview. 4: Web presentation. 5: Online test. 6: Onsite Interview at HQ. Onsite HQ interview includes face to face with hiring manager, VP, peer, CEO, and recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Do a Sonoma Overview presentation. How would you build out your territory with $x from marketing?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.