Uncommon Goods Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Uncommon Goods Interview Questions

Interviews at Uncommon Goods

2.7

Vendor Operations Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uncommon Goods.

Interview

All of the interview reviews saying this company’s process is a mess are 100% correct. I applied for a fully remote, seasonal position - passed a writing test, passed an excel test, and scheduled a phone interview only to be ghosted the day of. When I reached out to HR asking if there was an issue/need to reschedule, I received the following inexcusable response: “ Thank you for letting me know. I have investigated the case. One of the requirements for this position is applicant location, being a NEW YORK STATE resident. Unfortunately, we are unable to hire from outside of NEW YORK STATE, due to COVID-19. Apologies for the miscommunication.”

1. Nowhere in the job description posted across several websites (including their own) did it state that one must reside in New York for this position - and honestly, why is this a requirement for a SEASONAL, FULLY REMOTE job when I am located in the same time zone?!
    2. I am absolutely certain that had I not reached out to HR wondering why I never received my phone interview as scheduled, I would have never heard anything - for a company that supposedly stands by their strong culture and values, it sure doesn’t seem that way given this experience!
    3. If my residence was truly a requirement for again, a fully remote temporary position, why was I not screened out from the beginning? Instead my time was wasted, like many others, only to get to the third step in this hiring process and be given a poor excuse for their ineptitude.

TLDR - don’t waste your time like I did!

Interview Questions

• I was asked nothing because I was blown off the day of my phone interview. Only completed writing and excel skills assessments.   Answer Question

30 Sep 2020 – Head of Human Resources

We sincerely apologize that this was your experience interviewing with us for the Seasonal Vendor Operation Coordinator position. As a company adopting being remote, we are currently unable to hire candidates from outside of New York. In the future this may change.

We do screen for location earlier on in the interview process, and somehow we failed to do this with your application. We have since investigated how this came to be to ensure that no other applicants go through a similar experience and truly apologize for the experience you had. Thanks again for your interest in joining our team, and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

Vendor Operations Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uncommon Goods in September 2020.

Interview

I was only asked a couple of questions, never told anything about the role. When I asked when the position started the recruiter said "you would have started two days ago". I don't think the recruiter knew much about the position. Never told about compensation. I asked most of the questions.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with not being distracted working remotely?   Answer Question

1 Oct 2020 – Head of Human Resources

We appreciate your interest in joining our team. We are very sorry to hear that you had a less than positive interview experience with us. Feedback from candidates is extremely important, as is continuous improvement, and we will look to improve this experience immediately. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and we hope that you will consider Uncommon Goods for a future opportunity.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Uncommon Goods (New York, NY (US)) in August 2020.

Interview

I was not happy with questions that sounded a little off topic . There are no right answers at all. Interviewer sounded humiliated after my questions to him.

Interview Questions

Uncommon Goods Response

23 Sep 2020 – Head of Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback and we are sorry to hear you didn’t have a positive interview experience with us. Our interviewers strive to always give a thoughtful experience while evaluating a large list of capabilities with each unique candidate. We appreciate your feedback as we will always work to provide a great candidate experience for our open roles. Good luck on your professional endeavors!

Buyer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uncommon Goods in May 2020.

Interview

Extremely unorganized process. Much of the reviews on this company allude to it being in disarray and that couldn’t have been more clear during this process. I was emailed and offered and interview and asked to respond with my availability. Two days later I hadn’t heard back, I followed up and an interview was put on for me the next day. When I did the phone interview it felt to me that the position had already been filled and the Manager was only speaking to me because I had followed up on the interview email. I was then sent a very generic denial email in which it stated “we have filled this position and may not have had an opportunity to look at your submission.” This wasn’t the case since my project had been reviewed and I interviewed with the Manager..... Really unprofessional and sad to have the inability to even send a proper denial email. In full transparency I was holding my breath that I wouldn’t get the offer because I was so anxious
    about joining a team that appeared so outwardly chaotic.

Interview Questions

• How many vendors are you comfortable working with at once?   Answer Question

14 Jul 2020 – Head of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize that you had a negative experience interviewing for our open position. We agree that you should have been notified personally and we mistakenly informed you that we filled this position in a fashion that was impersonal and not up to our standards. In managing the large amount of applicants, and adjusting to hiring remotely we don’t like that we made this mistake and again apologize. Thank you for your feedback and we are certainly using it to improve how we organize our communications around our open positions.

Buyer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uncommon Goods in March 2020.

Interview

The process itself has as to be expected but they had to be followed up with after each level for a reply. The interviewers were polite and attentive but I thought it was odd at how well the conversation seemed to go for me to still not get the job with no feedback provided.

Interview Questions

• describe yourself and experience, why uncommon goods, salary expectations..   Answer Question

7 Oct 2020 – Head of Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to share feedback on your experience with us. While it sounds like you had a positive interaction with our interviewers, we are sorry to hear that you had to proactively follow up for more information. We appreciate this insight and aligned with our Guiding Principle, We are always Learning, aim to continuously improve our candidate experience. We wish you the best in your job search.

Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Uncommon Goods.

Interview

Like many of the other reviews here, I was put through the ringer during the interview process over the course of weeks-months, only for the communication to dry up out of nowhere for several weeks. Then HR contacted me profusely apologizing because my original contact had left the company (after less than a year from what I see on her LinkedIn - if that’s not a foreboding, I don’t know what is. Yikes).

Unfortunately, they then strung me along for another few weeks, with the new HR person texting my cell phone and calling me on nights and weekends requesting that I still stay in the running to be considered for the role, it honestly started to feel desperate on their part, and it felt unprofessional that they were texting me and/or calling me outside of business hours. All of this weirdness was after several phone interviews, two on-site interviews that exceeded 3 hours each, and an intensive test project that required 6-8 hours of my time. I took off work several days for all of this! Then I stopped hearing back from the company and I assumed that I was being ghosted.

Long story short, they ended up not offering me a job because they wanted to promote someone from within. After the first few odd texts from HR I knew I most likely wouldn’t accept a job if one was offered, because the entire experience made me convinced the company was a hot mess on the inside. But it was still a crazy and unfortunate experience to go through so much time and effort to have a company that views themselves as being the pinnacle of all that is right in eComm and business worlds treat your time and energy as meaningless and not worthy of their time to provide consistent and professional communication.

Interview Questions

• How do you plan your quarterly budget?   Answer Question
    • The CEO asked me a complex math question out of the blue in the middle of a conversation and wanted me to solve it off the top of my head in 5 seconds. The entire meeting with him was incredibly strange.   Answer Question

2 Jan 2020 – Head of Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We are disappointed that we didn’t leave you with a better impression of us. In our efforts to restaff our HR department, we have worked alongside contract recruiters and we are investigating the communication methods that represent our company in earnest. We do not want any future candidates to have this experience with anyone from our organization because it does not reflect our appreciation for the time and effort of those who are interested in our company. Thank you again for your thorough feedback.

Creative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Uncommon Goods.

Interview

I applied online and received the standard auto-response email. A few weeks later I get a call at 9am from a blocked number. I'm at work so I can't answer. The caller left a voicemail and let me know they're from UncommonGoods calling about the job and want to schedule a phone interview. I call back immediately but get their voicemail. The rest of the day I answer all phone calls; the majority of them are robo-spam. Two days later another 9am call that I can't answer because I'm in a work meeting. The HR person again. I call back right away and get her. We talk briefly about what they're looking for, what I'm looking for, etc. She says she'll be in touch to schedule an in-person interview, but can't give an exact day. Never heard another word from her.

Note to HR - if you're calling people at 9am from a blocked number, expect them not to answer.

Interview Questions

• Basic Interview 101 questions...tell me about a time when?   Answer Question

8 Nov 2019 – Head of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are sorry to hear you had anything less than positive interaction with someone contacting you from our team. We made sure to investigate to ensure that no one else encounters any communications from us in this manner. Thanks again for sharing and we sincerely apologize for inconveniencing you. We appreciate your interest in our team, and your feedback.

Seasonal Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Uncommon Goods (New York, NY (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

The Recruiting Team informed me that the process could last 2-4 hours and would be conducted at company headquarters located within the Brooklyn Army Terminal in Sunset Park. A group interview was conducted with about 20 other applicants followed by an assessment and then one-on-one interviews.

Interview Questions

• One-on-one question: Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question
    • One-on-one question: Are you comfortable taking on simultaneous projects? Tell me about a time when you had to multi-task?   Answer Question
    • One-on-one question: Where do you see yourself in 3 years?   Answer Question
    • Group interview (teams of 5) was an "open book" test and required applicants to respond to a series of customer service situations (angry customers, delayed delivery of products, return policy assistance, etc.) using the company website as a resource.   Answer Question

20 Mar 2020 – Human Resources Business Partner

Thank you for sharing your interview experience with us. We typically conduct group interviews to accommodate the large number of employees that we on board to help us manage our holiday peak season. We appreciate your feedback and interest in our team during our busy holiday season.

Retoucher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Uncommon Goods (New York, NY (US)) in August 2019.

Interview

I got an email from and HR rep who asked me to do a phone interview. I was told if I made it past the phone interview there would be an in person interview with someone (or multiple people) at the office, which would be followed by a multi-person meeting, and then a retouching test. Sounds like a very long process. The interview was with an HR rep the company employs from out of state who does not work in the actual company and acts a a pre-screener for candidates. Did not make it through the second round despite being perfectly qualified, but did receive a proper rejection via email upon following up, which is appreciated.

Interview Questions

• They made sure to ask me if the commute would be okay (to middle of nowhere Sunset Park area) and if I was okay with a position that was 95% product retouching (which can be very dull and robotic).   Answer Question

20 Sep 2019 – Head of Human Resources

Thank you for your interest in UncommonGoods and speaking with our recruiter. Although this role may not have been the best match for everyone, we hope that you will watch our career pages for future opportunities at UncommonGoods. Our local (Brooklyn) HR team is happy to answer any questions you may have, and we do wish you all the best. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and your interest in UncommonGoods.

Associate Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Uncommon Goods (Brooklyn, NY (US)) in May 2019.

Interview

The process at Uncommongoods included 1 small sourcing project to apply followed by two 30+ minute phone interviews, a larger sourcing project which included a presentation highlighting holes in the UG assortment, and 4 on-site interviews which were each about 40-60 minutes long.
    Meeting the merchandising team and working with the initial recruiter was a positive experience, but their onboarding process is most difficult I’ve come across in my job search, and the way I was treated afterward was by far the worst experience I have had in my career so far.
    The process is very demanding though the company does not seems to respect the time it takes to execute. My contact didn’t care to meet me prior to going into my on-sites, and I received little to no feedback on the products I presented. After being in the pipeline for 5 weeks and completing the on-site interview, I was advised it would take 2-3 days to get feedback. That ended up becoming 2 full weeks, and in between having follow ups ignored altogether. My contact ghosted me, essentially, until I was finally rejected via an email sent at 10:15pm full of typos. I don’t know if this contact thought that would save her from confronting me, but to receive that information in such a careless way was completely insulting. She did later apologize.
    I was tasked with the final stages of the process, which involved 2 weeks of prep and detailed sourcing and 4 hours off of my full time job, but was ultimately rejected because of my experience. I’ve been trying to understand why a company would ask so much of candidates just to ultimately resort back to what’s on paper, and information that was given from day one, in making their final decisions. For context, my background at the time was 3 years as an assistant buyer at a large specialty retailer, well in line with what I was told they were looking for to fill the role.
    To summarize, the process at UncommonGoods is far more work than it’s worth, and in choosing to go through it you run the risk of wasting a lot of valuable time on a company who really isn’t much different from the rest of them after all, arguably worse. If you’re someone looking to up-level, the company doesn’t seem to want to take a risk on you. I will definitely think twice before going through a process like this again.

Interview Questions

• How do you create and foster your vendor relationships.   Answer Question

10 Jun 2019 – Head of Human Resources

We are sorry to hear that your interaction with UncommonGoods’ interviewing process was less than favorable. We try to provide a positive experience for each individual candidate consistently and will take this feedback seriously, as it is imperative to our mission and Guiding Principles.
    The process for our merchandising roles has always been more involved, including a project submission. When evaluating candidates, we ask for three product picks to review candidates’ overall understanding of the UncommonGoods brand. Having each candidate prepare a presentation, helps us understand their business experience & track record of success, along with analyzation skills and assortments and finding new product opportunities. It is a difficult decision when we have to make the final candidate selection, especially when we have multiple candidates that have a great deal of experience to offer. Please know, we truly respect and appreciate the work that goes in to these projects.
    We apologize that our process took a lot longer than initially stated, as well as the gap in communication and lack of personable contact between the updates. In order to ensure a fair process, we do not like to make decisions until we’ve interviewed and reviewed the projects. This may have been the cause of the longer timeframe, and we sincerely apologize for failing to respond and communicate any updates.
    Again, we are thankful that you brought these concerns and feedback to our attention. Our HR Team would be happy to speak with you if there is anything else you think we could do to promote a more positive experience. We wish you the best of luck in your job search.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.