AlphaSights Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.8
AlphaSights Managing Director Max Cartellieri
Max Cartellieri

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great first job - the people are fantastic, great company culture and you are giving an enormous amount of responsibility right off the bat" (in 16 reviews)

• "Fast paced company with steep learning curve" (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "very long hours (8AM-7:30PM most nights at least), demanding client service (always on even on sick days/PTO), young and inexperienced management" (in 20 reviews)

• "There's still a struggle with work life balance, but there is work in the right direction here" (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Launching point to start career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at AlphaSights full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Out of college, I couldn't have asked for a better place to start my career. In my opinion, the negative reviews should be taken with a grain of salt by onlookers. Usually it's a case of someone not being a good fit from a work ethic / mindset standpoint. Sure, AlphaSights can ask a lot of its employees, but it also gives you an equal amount if you seek it.
    - Learn how to: develop client relationships, grow share of wallet, drive growth in books of business
    - Learn how to continually hit quotas and budgets
    - Opportunities to train others to help scale teams
    - Opportunity to manage full P&L of your own book of business, the development of your Associates, and the fostering of relationships with clients

Cons

- Work hours can be long. But there's a difference between working a long time for the sake of it (and then being able to complain about it) or being efficient during the day and getting out at a normal hour. There are plenty of employees who work long hours, but make more because of it

Advice to Management

- Continue to keep the best interest of Associates and Managers at the forefront, and keep pushing for transparency and visibility in the midst of change
    - With hiring very talented alumni, you'll be faced with a lot of people who have been successful their whole lives without having to grind and hustle. Try to screen these people out, and hire more and more for potential and mindset

2. "Associate position at AlphaSights"

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at AlphaSights full-time (More than a year)

Pros

competitive salary, good people, good benefits

3. "Associate"

I have been working at AlphaSights full-time

Pros

Creative perks and a chance to develop other areas in your life

Cons

Lots of overtime days with no OT pay

"Life at AlphaSights"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I have been working at AlphaSights full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Real & early responsibility, especially for those who demand it and prove they can handle it. The Associate role is completely client facing, after 4/6 months, you're directly corresponding with clients. Which means that you are THE face of AS to said client. Post that, what you do with that opportunity depends on you.

- Real elevation opportunities where titles represent responsibility. Opportunity to elevate to Manager in 24-30 months and actually manage other people, including but not limited to technical and professional development.

- Closest thing to running a business while working for a corporate.

- Extremely steep learning curve even when you don't realise it. Sitting with your friends from uni who went to other places, the difference in the scale & impact is very obvious.

- AS puts a ridiculous focus on its people. Monthly Personal/professional development catch ups, very strong global PD function, extremely selective recruitment process. All leading to a very strong, energised group of employees. High support, high accountability culture.

- Experience in the service industry is great, regardless of the specific industry. Teaches you client management & customer service. Usually being a provider means you're at the bottom of the food chain and winning there means you can win across the food chain. At AlphaSights, this is equally true if not more (since we serve demanding clients in cut throat jobs).

- AS in contrast to competitors clumps multiple roles together into the associate role, which makes it a lot more interesting, financially rewarding and forces steeper learning. Among many other things, the calibre of AS people stands out across the industry in the eyes of the clients.

- Skills to be gained as a result: self awareness, emotional intelligence, results orientedness, end to end project and stakeholder management, top communication & negotiation skills along with de-escalation of issues both internally & externally, adaptability, process optimisation, time management, switch-tasking (there is no such thing as multitasking).

Cons

- While most employees see this as a motivator, it is HARD work and when you couple that with demanding clients who can be fairly ungrateful at times, it can be a bit of a de-motivator.

- There is always work that can be done. Good opportunity to learn how to manage clients and not constantly be under the misconception that "white glove service" is the only way. But doesn't change the fact that clients work late and want you to do the same.

- Being part of a growth firm means there's a lot of changes. If you're not cut out for uncertainty, it can be a bit of a roller coaster ride. For those who capitalise on this, walk away with an excellent ability to be comfortable with uncertainty and have a fantastic time while here.

Advice to Management

While we should continue working on upping our levels internally, we should definitely focus on external competitive aspects e.g. product diversification etc.

5. "Great place to start your career"

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at AlphaSights full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Merit based
    Flexible
    Intellectually stimulating
    Fast paced
    Employees are very hard working

Cons

Can be repetitive
    Workforce is very young

"Junior Associate"

Former Employee - Junior Associate in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Junior Associate in London, England (UK)

I worked at AlphaSights full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Decent exit opportunities
    - Good office (right on the Thames; lovely view for rooftop drinks)
    - Great culture
    - Decent compensation
    - Young, social employees (lots of fun at Friday beers)
    - More responsibility than most graduate programmes, definitely more responsibility than most internships/placements

Cons

- After ~4-6 months work becomes monotonous

7. "Building something "

Pros

I joined AlphaSights to start and grow a team. It’s been a great opportunity to be entrepreneurial within a solid, fast growing company. There have been challenges and frustrations but it’s really been a rewarding experience. I can see that I’ve made an impact on the business by solving problems, being strategic, building structure and systems, and hiring great people onto the team. People at AlphaSights are type A, confident and driven while also being generally good people you’d want to hang out with after hours.

Cons

Honestly can’t think of cons beyond normal workplace stuff and AlphaSights has far fewer than I’ve experienced elsewhere.

"Good business foundation while keeping future options open "

I have been working at AlphaSights full-time

Pros

Fast pace and full days mean constant learning and time flies.

Bonus pay is great, particularly on AlphaTrack when your earning potential is high for someone just a few years out of school.

Company is quite transparent about business results and you can always see how you’re contributing.

Solid point to start your career if you’re interested in getting a broad foundation in business and industry and then focusing later.

Cons

Hours can be long and intense with expectations to respond to clients quickly but it’s a client service environment so this is probably quite common elsewhere. Days can be stressful when project flow is high.

9. "High standards"

Pros

-The vast majority of people are smart, focused and hardworking. It’s energizing to work with so many switched on people every day.
    -There’s a high standard across the firm and it keeps people performing at a high level.
    -I’ve learned from everyone I’ve worked with and I’m constantly getting better at what I do and who I am as a professional.
    -The company puts significant effort into supporting employees. Leaders don’t get it right 100% of the time (who does?) but they seem to genuinely care and are receptive to feedback.
    -Things move fast and change is constant. It can be challenging at times but it’s an opportunity for the right people to contribute, adapt & develop.
    AlphaSights is providing a service the world needs. I’ve been a client of our service and it was an eye opening experience. Learning from an expert firsthand in a freeform conversation is invaluable. It’s cool to work for a company that facilitates that knowledge flow hundreds of times a day

Cons

-Expectations are as high at AlphaSights as any other professional services or consulting firm. Maybe higher. I consider that a plus but for the wrong people it’ll be a detractor. It’s a place where people work very hard and are measured on clear results.

10. "Client Service Associate"

Pros

There’s a clear path and steps to be elevated to manager after only 2 years which is a good timeline compared to other firms I’ve heard about. Good benefits and perks for a midsize, young company. Great social scene and options if you’re interested in partaking. Generally a positive vibe and good working environment.

Cons

The learning curve flattens out at about 18 months into the associate role just about when people apply to be elevated to manager. People sometimes lose steam around 18 months but seem to be motivated to push through to manager when the learning curve is very steep.