Bluewolf Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.8
Bluewolf CEO Eric Berridge
Eric Berridge

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "My comp increased by a third in my first year because I put in the effort plus my work/life balance improved" (in 19 reviews)

• "Always willing to help each other out" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Tough to maintain work life balance" (in 18 reviews)

• "Growing pains to be expected from a rapidly expanding company" (in 18 reviews)

"IBM has gutted Bluewolf"

Former Employee - Client Advisor
    Former Employee - Client Advisor

I worked at Bluewolf full-time

Pros

Best in class delivery team, strong position in the marketplace

Cons

IBM has changed everything. Client Advisor's must work twice as hard to make the same amount of money and there is a process for everything

"A once great consultancy has lost its soul to Big Blue"

Former Employee - Technical Architect in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Technical Architect in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Bluewolf full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The talent is top-notch. You will get challenging assignments. IBM provides a very stable base and reasonable benefits.

Cons

The culture WAS a cut above when I joined 18 months ago, but almost none of that has survived the transition to IBM. The focus now is on getting large, multi-million-dollar deals, or making lowball offers to big clients so that they can get in the door in the hopes of securing a large, multi-million-dollar deal once they're established. The old premise of Bluewolf projects, which was primarily remote work with limited travel of no more than 25%, is now a thing of the past. Projects are thrown together on the fly if they can land them, and consultants are thrown on a project for full-time travel if that's what the client wants, regardless of their preferences. As more and more of the staff have fled since the acquisition, there is more and more yanking people from project to project to fill holes, and more and more projects are going into the red. Work/life balance is basically a thing of the past.

In addition, the IBM commitment to penny-pinching is being felt through more and more large-scale projects as the low-level development gets offshored to their India garage, causing all manner of timing, communication, and quality issues.

Advice to Management

Get your house in order. You need to treat your talent with respect, or you're going to keep losing them.

"Worst Experience of my Professional Career"

Former Employee - Client Advisor in Madison, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Client Advisor in Madison, WI (US)

I worked at Bluewolf full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid delivery team.

Good people on the sales team.

Got my experience in the ecosystem-went to a smaller firm and make a lot more money, have great leadership and feel valued ...still...after being here over a year. Definitely a pro after putting up with hell at bluewolf.

Cons

Lower than market value base pay
    Terrible leadership in sales.
    IBM acquisition
    Clown for a manager. Rude, condescending, not even worth going into.

If you're considering this place for a sales career, don't even think about it. Run. Fast.

Advice to Management

Clean house.

4. "Inside sales"

I worked at Bluewolf full-time

Pros

learning, independence, career paths, environment and people

Cons

some processes, tough market, missing localised marketing

5. "Great company, great experience!"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Bluewolf (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment to learn and fail; excellent management and environment.

Cons

No real technical support system in offices

6. "Worth the effort of post acquisition growing pains"

Current Employee - Delivery Services in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Delivery Services in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Bluewolf full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlike so many others, I came to Bluewolf because of its acquisition by IBM. I look forward to the options of belonging to a much larger organization while still being part of a small, entrepreneurial shop. The projects are challenging. Most people are hard working and know their stuff so you can learn a lot even if you are far into your career path. My comp increased by a third in my first year because I put in the effort plus my work/life balance improved.

Cons

If companies in transition frighten you then stay away. Bluewolf is shifting from small to medium size T&M projects to much larger, fixed-price enterprise projects. That does not come without challenges including rapid growth. For those who are willing to put in the effort, the rewards will come as the company is reshaped.

Advice to Management

Keep listening. Communicate the core values that make Bluewolf unique and fight for them. Educate those brought in over the last 1-2 years in the Bluewolf methodology as growth has hurt consistency.

"Acquisition has drastically changed structure and culture"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect

I worked at Bluewolf full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The possibility of exposure to cutting edge tech - and teams that are wholly focused on them.

Cons

Echo strongly the review posted on Feb 8th. The office managers and support teams were cut. Impact is that - instead of a go-to person for HR, benefits etc - there is a different phone number and queue for essentially the same quality of benefits (if not worse- as was the case for immigration support). Selling projects are less about an approach that drives towards client and team success and more about working back from a number and throwing whatever titles and hours are available. The BW PMO office was cut so no one is even attempting the once rigorous PACE reviews that protected resources from hell-holes of projects. IBM PMO is focused on pleasing clients and instead of supporting resources - not realizing that doing the latter empowers resources to take care of clients. The PMO resources on the project are tied up with all kinds of bureaucratic procedures and financial forecasting - leaving actual project management/ stakeholder management up to technical resources. The tearing into pieces of a model / culture that both made money and provided incredible employee experiences is truly tragic to watch.

Advice to Management

I don’t think Bluewolf management has much power to affect change - which is part of the problem - there are metrics and shareholder returns that now need to be met. To IBM management the advice is to stop acquiring well functioning companies for their culture and then destroying it.

"No longer the company it once was."

Former Employee - Business Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at Bluewolf full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with some really smart and pleasant colleagues, most of whom were sadly in the process of leaving, or were actively on the lookout for new opportunities towards the end of my tenure at Bluewolf.
    The culture was a big plus for me, but this slowly faded into oblivion with the IBM integration.

Cons

- Inability to deliver on large projects, due to a severe lack of experience in the enterprise scale - I felt the company was trying to bite off more than it could possibly chew, on multiple engagements it has no business delivering.
    - Delivery approach was all over the place.
    - No documentation on delivery best practices available.
    - Some individuals placed on the projects I worked on, added another layer of politics on top of what were already difficult engagements - micromanagement never works.
    - Lots of finger pointing when things went south - from project management, all the way down to resources on the delivery front, with no ownership nor accountability.
    - Throwing more resources on difficult projects does not address underlying solution gaps.
    - Have to use antiquated IBM tools and processes for pretty much everything - not very agile...
    - The culture was effectively killed once the IBM integration came to effect.
    - Lack of direction.
    - Office politics / bureaucracy.
    - Inability to retain talent due to lack of incentives (whether in terms of salary, benefits, training opportunities, or career plans).
    - No licenses to use proper tools to facilitate delivery (LucidChart, Jira, etc.) - Sightline just doesn't cut it.
    - Unclear and confusing comms from IBM when it came to bonuses for billable resources

Advice to Management

- Celebrate go-lives in stead of signings
    - Give employees something to look forward to
    - Revisit, standardize, and document the delivery approach (build solutions piece by piece, instead of desperately trying to deliver everything at once ("workstreams"), ensure POC is done before project kickoff, ensure there is a strong and proven design and architecture backbone, etc.)
    - Promote the right people from within

"I'm happy here"

I have been working at Bluewolf full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here are fabulous in general
    Humanity is valued and important
    Safe place to be yourself
    Great opportunity to gain valuable knowledge from enterprise projects
    Recent restructure will create an environment of ownership and inclusivity
    Management do listen and try to make changes within their capability
    Parties and get togethers
    Culture of feedback and growth
    We've had a tough year with the transfer of business to IBM - clarity is coming through now and we have a lot of things to look forward to
    IBM are actively interested in what we do and want to help

Cons

IBM tools. Too many tools. Too many antiquated tools. Holiday request system from 2004
    IBM NOTES
    IBM bureaucracy
    IBM processes which we are subjected to are just too slow
    Partnership with Salesforce could be stronger
    Not as easy to get certified any more which holds people back

Advice to Management

Take a look at the tools. We lost some best of breed cloud applications in this acquisition - and hardly anyone uses Salesforce any more because we have a million other things we have to work on. Invest in a proper PSA tool.

10. "Manager"

I worked at Bluewolf full-time

Pros

Smart and innovative. If you have great ideas, you can make an impact.

Cons

No direction and feels little phony at times. The merge with IBM will change the company and culture significantly.