CFGI Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

CFGI Reviews

Updated Oct 10, 2019

3.7
CFGI CEO Nicholas J. Nardone (no image)
Nicholas J. Nardone

"Great jump from Big4"

Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at CFGI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Variety in projects, flexibility in your schedule, working in a number of different industries, expanding your professional network, the ability to take the lead or get involved in firm initiatives, pay, bonus structure.

Cons

Cost of healthcare options, 401K match is low, 401K takes 6 years to fully vest their match, vacation days bump up only after 5 years, OT bonus is paid out 25% in August and 75% in February of following year (should be monthly), raises have leveled since Carlyle came on board.

Advice to Management

Take some of the incredible gains that the firm has made over the past few years and invest that money into better benefits for your people. These policies have not been updated for over 5 years.

CFGI2019-10-10
  2. "Pretty good, could be better"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at CFGI full-time for less than a year

Pros

-More flexible than Big 4 -Base pay is super competitive -Bonus structure can be a pro or con, depending on client and availability -Met a lot of great people to work with/work under

Cons

-Work can be bland -Benefits are pretty atrocious -Behind on technology & security -Only 3 weeks PTO to start -No paternity leave

Advice to Management

Invest a little more in your employees. Might be steering towards becoming another Big 4 esk culture on this path.

CFGI2019-09-26

"Smoke and Mirrors - No Investment in Employees"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at CFGI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The firm has really grown its brand over the years and has some impressive clients, especially in the Boston and New York markets. You'll work with mostly great companies and have a chance to be on really challenging projects that will help with your development. The firm as a whole has a very weak training program and provides very little guidance and direction, however, if you are a self-starter that can take... charge and solve problems yourself with little to no support, you'll thrive with the autonomy and independence you are given. The firm also tries hard to have a good culture and does put on occasional events after work hours, however, most of this is just "kool-aid" talk with little to no substance. The firm does pay well through base compensation, but benefits and bonus are an absolute bare-bones joke. Overall, this firm is great for individuals at the Senior or 1st year Manager level at the Big 4 that want to get out and need a place to spend 1-2 years to transition into industry. Otherwise, I would stay away.

Cons

- The firm struggles with incredibly weak leadership. CFGI is almost 400 people strong now, and has virtually no back-office support structure in place. There is no HR function, no scheduling or resource management support, and a bare-bones accounting group. Virtually all administrative aspects of the firm fall on the client serving Senior Mangers and Managing Directors. - The firm mandates everyone at... all levels have a minimum of 100% utilization, and your bonus is entirely based on utilization over 100% for the year. The firms only metric to evaluate employees is utilization, which most people at the Senior Manager level or below have very little control over. This does not support a high-performance culture, but rather encourages people to do whatever they can to bill as many hours as they can regardless. Since the minimum expectations are 100% utilization, you are expected to work overtime all year round in order to prove yourself for promotion. - There is absolutely no investment in employees; while the base compensation is competitive, the benefit programs are bare bones and the most expensive I have ever seen. The firm contributes almost nothing towards your medical premiums, which are over $250 a month for individual only coverage. Employees are not eligible for the 401(k) program until a year of service, and then the match, which is only 3% with a 6 year vesting schedule, is only provided once a year. The PTO is bare bones and there is no maternity or paternity time. - The firm invests very little in employee training; they will hold a high-level webinar once a month and a half day training twice a year. You'll be given no guidance, direction, or resources to complete your job or projects, and will literally be thrown on the island and told to execute. There are a few Senior Managers or Managing Directors that are great and will support you, but most don't. If you don't do a perfect job or the client has even the smallest complaint, Senior Management will not support you as the client is always priority and always right. - The firm leadership will constantly brag about the firms growth and success, but refuse to invest that success in their employee or the firms infrastructure. The culture is a facade as most of the firms managers have egos and will not think twice of backstabbing you to their own benefit. - IT infrastructure is a joke. For a 400 person firm, there is not a single IT person in the firm. IT support is fully outsourced. There is no intranet, no unified communications or conferencing tools, no VPN or security software, no scheduling tool, etc. The firms time reporting and billing software is buggy and difficult to use. You are given a laptop out of the box and a gmail address, and told to go to work.

Advice to Management

Invest in firm infrastructure and your employees. If you really want to be an employer of choice and keep your employees long term, start investing in their development, health, financial well-being, and work-life balance.

CFGI2019-08-22

"Overall Good, still room for improvement"

Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at CFGI full-time

Pros

Great flexibility and autonomy, wide range of clients/industries

Cons

Unpredictable schedule, the benefits are well below average, bonus is based entirely on billable hours

CFGI2019-07-22
  5. "You make your career here"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at CFGI full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you bring the right attitude and back it up with a quality work product, your career is supercharged here. For me, I'm programmed differently. I cant be in the same spot every day doing the same thing, I need variety. Client facing work keeps me going and I've found a happy medium here between Big 4 and industry. I've been setup for success, fed a steady stream of attractive project based work, brought in... business myself and oh....I really enjoy the people I'm surrounded by!

Cons

Could have improvement to a few perks when it comes to overall benefits package

Advice to Management

More firmwide touchpoints to keep current with all growth in other markets/practices

CFGI2019-07-17

"Waste of time"

Former Employee - Consulting Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at CFGI full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a few certain smart people there that also actually have souls, if you're lucky enough to get to work with them, but for the most part just more of the same from auditing days with little thought and more just going through motions. If you're lucky enough to work with a good MD/Partner and not thrown on to do busy intern work, you can learn about some complex technical accounting issues..unlikely though.

Cons

-Terrible benefits.-slight salary bump from big 4, but after what's taken out of your check for insurances,etc, its barely a raise. No 401k matching until after a year, % and vesting schedule are below industry norm. Vacation/holiday PTO also on low side.. handful of other jobs you can go to with 25% more PTO and fully paid health benefits. -"Bonus"- The bonus is based on "overtime" hours, so if you left big 4... hoping to have work life balance with a 40ish hour work week, forget any bonus. Also, in your first year it's nearly impossible to get overtime unless you want to work 80 hour weeks- Any non-client time you spend at the start for training/availability before getting assigned eats away at this.This was poorly communicated during hiring.Also this overtime bonus structure discourages employees who may work efficiently/encourages putting in big 4 hours/useless extra work. -People- This will make or break your experience and it's a total gamble. Get assigned on a job with a bad MD/Senior Manager and/or project and you're pretty much stuck, scheduling is the opposite of flexible. Literally a gamble- As a manager I'd say 75% of my time there I was doing grunt busy work that a consultant (really an intern) should've been doing. The other 25% I was thrown onto work that should be done by an experienced Senior Manager/Director and given little guidance/blown off by the MD on the job when I had questions, so essentially a lot of spinning wheels and frustration...two polar opposite work situations. No change of specializing in an industry you do well on/take a liking to, like I said total gamble and you'll be lucky to get assigned on work that's at your level. On top of that there is no upward feedback process in place/zero opportunities for Managers/consultants to give feedback on certain MDs/partners that are literally known firm-wide as nightmares to work with.

CFGI2019-07-07
  7. "Good Place for a Consulting Career"

Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at CFGI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart people. Supportive climate. Good compensation.

Cons

Too aggressive business development. Very loose structure.

Advice to Management

Focus more on training.

CFGI2019-07-06

"Better Base Salary from Big 4, with Bare-bones Benefits Package"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at CFGI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is a moderate base pay bump from Big 4 with some overtime compensation. The annual 20% of Base OT pay, calculated on any hours over 1,900 billable client service for the year. (They allow a grace of 40 hrs for trainings/non-billable to find your next chargeable project.) Paid out 25% in August and 75% in February. 401k employer match 50% of up to 6%. Carlyle Group investment prestige. If you were unhappy... with the Big 4 audit career path, then you can gain broader experience here. Depending on client assignments, you have more flexibility and work/life balance. If you are writing technical memos or checking in as available you could be working from home all the time. If you are on an interim-role you probably will need to be on site. Quarterly they host socials (company-wide and mentor trees), mostly located in downtown Boston. Intermittent volunteer opportunities (food bank, Bio Ball.). They also host an annual holiday party where you can bring a guest.

Cons

Better base salary is offset by high cost of benefits. Compared to Big 4 and several other companies, the premiums are exorbitant. There is no intermediary cost step between individual or family plan. They changed from BCBS MA to Aetna and I noticed decline in my coverage, and increase in out of pocket costs. Only 8 holidays (including 1 floating holiday) and 15 days PTO. Increases to 20 after 6 years. Can carry... over up to 40 hrs for next year. Taking PTO hurts your OT utilization. Voya 401k retirement management offers limited appealing portfolio of investments. No update or distribution of company policy since 2017. (Grayed out calendar based on SEC reporting deadlines debacle.) Unclear about maternal and parental leave offering. Disappearance of monetary spot awards. What happened to the high five awards? It went from monthly, to quarterly, and now gone. Constant lack of consultants available. Non-existent "templates". Mass emails asking for resources that should be archived in a shared area accessible by all. Management tier is heavy on Sr. Managers and Managers. Heavy emphasis on Business Development. Little formal training or support on how to execute BD, to advance to the next level by selling services. (Testimonials of success stories at live trainings for inspiration.) Strong presence of cliques, which translates to accelerated career growth over merit alone. Partners and MDs have unchecked sole claim on employees' schedules. This results in weeks of available time eating into OT and/or working on the same types of projects for indefinite periods.

Advice to Management

Evaluate whether the company has provided each of its employees all of the necessary resources to succeed or just a select few.

CFGI2019-05-21
  9. "Great Compensation Structure and Career Opportunities"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at CFGI full-time for more than a year

Pros

- OT comp. structure that is available for everyone to take advantage of - Promotions are merit based, which is huge. I was promoted from consultant to manager in less than year - Collaborative work environment - Constant stream of challenging projects (IPOs, M&A, carve-out accounting, implementation of accounting standards)

Cons

The biggest downside is on getting everyone connected, since as Consultants we are constantly out on the field. The firm does put together quarterly social events in order to get everyone together.

Advice to Management

As the firm grows, I would start to focus on cultural aspects of the firm.

CFGI2019-03-19
  10. "Good company- rapidly growing"

I worked at CFGI full-time

Pros

Great coworkers, mostly from Big 4's

Cons

Might involve lots of travel

CFGI2019-02-26