DPR Construction Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated Nov 29, 2019

4.3
DPR Construction CEO Doug Woods
Doug Woods
Pros
  • "They really have a great company culture to the point of almost being cult like(in 24 reviews)

• "Great culture with awesome people(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  1. "Great Company for a Difficult Industry"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Richmond, VA

I have been working at DPR Construction full-time for more than a year

Pros

DPR has been an amazing company to work for and really knows how to treat clients and trade partners with respect and fairness which is truly something special in the construction industry due to the competitiveness. Additionally, DPR really focuses on building up their employees and giving employees any resource/training/etc. to further their experience and gain knowledge to assist them in their fields. For a... challenging industry, DPR really stands out from other general contractors for how the company treats its employees. The company is title-less and has a very relaxed hierarchy so there are tons of ways for employees to advance professionally in fields they may have not considered before. There is a bit of stress from how open the company is as DPR places trust in its employees to take charge individually and figure out how they need to grow to better themselves, their teams, and the company at large. Although it's a bit daunting, it's such a large pro that DPR is flexible and will encourage employees to find their own paths rather than having a strict path of development.

Cons

You don't get to work in construction without the downsides of the industry such as long work hours including weekend work, projects that are far away from your home, and the overall stressors of managing a multitude of players with oftentimes conflicting personalities. I wouldn't say this is unique to DPR; all general contractors will have these cons, but it is something prospective employees need to be aware of.

Advice to Management

Great work! Keep focusing on building people!

DPR Construction2019-11-26
  2. "Great Company, Great Company Culture"

Former Employee - Bim Manager

I worked at DPR Construction full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They really have a great company culture to the point of almost being cult like.. but in a good way. Great benefits.

Cons

A bit top heavy with management and limited opportunities. Once you are pigeon holed into a position and job, your kind of stuck there. They claim there is room to grow and you can see it around you. But often it seems upward movement is more cliche based than talent based.

Advice to Management

Don't be so myopic when you talent comes to you with ideas. Also, it often felt like career decisions were based on hearsay and rumor than actually talking to the person. If you do like their ideas, include them into the conversations so they know. If you have plans for them, again include them into the conversations.

DPR Construction2019-11-26
  3. "it has to be for you"

Former Employee - Summer Intern

I worked at DPR Construction full-time for less than a year

Pros

great place honestly, they're nice. Pay is really good. They pay a monthly living stipend for out of state interns, everyone in the workplace is very positive & encouraging.

Cons

i went out of state and wasn't told my job location until my first day, so I had to find housing not knowing where my job placement would be. I ended up an hour & a half drive from work. They really force the "we are a family" when it should just be more natural. My site was a smaller project so I often found myself bored with nothing to do. My mentor always talked about how stressed or busy she was so I... didn't want to ask her too many questions, other interns on bigger projects had like 5-6 mentors

Advice to Management

don't put interns on small projects, consider who the mentor will be.

DPR Construction2019-11-29
  4. "Sink or Swim"

Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at DPR Construction full-time

Pros

you work with some of the smartest people there, fun place to work

Cons

lack of training, figure out as you go, long hours, little to no work life balance

DPR Construction2019-11-29
  5. "Best Places to Work"

Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at DPR Construction full-time

Pros

Great company to work for!

Cons

No cons at this place.

DPR Construction2019-11-02
  6. "Great top notch company"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DPR Construction full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have a party culture is like no other. They promote individuality. You have as many resources at your fingertips as needed.

Cons

Absolutely no structure. Seems like no one really knows what’s going on.

Advice to Management

Structure the unit a little

DPR Construction2019-11-16
  7. "The Company You Keep"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at DPR Construction full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As far as culture in the construction industry, DPR has the best. Work/life balance can be challenging but the company promotes it and promotes it well

Cons

Construction is a stressful industry and the hours are less than desirable.

DPR Construction2019-10-26
  8. "A Company on a Mission"

Current Employee - VDC Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at DPR Construction full-time for more than a year

Pros

Challenging projects, great culture, smart people, vision for the future, a lot of fun,

Cons

Fast paced, demanding, high goals

DPR Construction2019-10-25
  9. "Its ok"

Current Employee - Laborer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at DPR Construction full-time for less than a year

Pros

They sponsor events, and give out free drinks.

Cons

Pay is not that great for how you much work you do

Advice to Management

Do better

DPR Construction2019-11-07

"Flat Organization"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at DPR Construction full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you are a self starter and can drive your own success, DPR is the right place for you. It will require you to ask and follow-up with others to learn what you need as there is no long onboarding or training when you start. DPR will support you all the way to learn what you need to learn.

Cons

You are thrown to the wolves and then need to follow-up with training after the fact. Nothing like getting bitten before learn to fend for yourself. You certainly will take the training to heart when you do receive it.

Advice to Management

Get training and on boarding expanded to include training on all tools needed. Reduce the number of tools available as the standard.

DPR Construction2019-10-09