DataStax Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 2 April 2019

4.4
Billy Bosworth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Most of us work from home but we collaborate a lot better than when I used to work in offices for other companies" (in 14 reviews)

• "They promote a healthy work-life balance and encourage all employees to strive to be their very best" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Mostly just growing pains, but could be hard for those that like structure" (in 11 reviews)

• "Typical challenges of new and open source technology" (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Culture, Interesting Work, Remote Friendly"

Current Employee - Technical Lead
    Current Employee - Technical Lead

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We get to work with amazing people who are extremely smart but humble. We get to work with teams that help each first. The work we are doing is cutting edge using the latest technology. Finally, because the company is so focused on remote work, the tooling is designed for that usecase perfectly

Cons

Cannot think of any at this point

Advice to Management

Keep on moving forward and embracing the new world we live in, especially with software initiatives that make us not only more relevant than we are, but pushing the boundary to being the next Kleenex only in distributed databases (i.e. Kleenex is the name brand of facial tissues, but every uses Kleenex as the name for all facial tissues)

"Fantastic place to work if you are a smart engineer"

Current Employee - Support Engineer
    Current Employee - Support Engineer

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent leadership all throughout the Engineering organization - this has resulted in (1) excellent engineering culture, (2) customer-first attitude, (3) **extremely** smart and friendly engineers, (4) an extremely collaborative culture, (5) work from home policy that works really, really well for both the engineers as well as the company, (6) actual work-life balance

Cons

I don't see any, as part of the Engineering team. I've worked in many, many silicon valley companies.

Advice to Management

Please, please, please do not lower hiring standards. I've already seen it happen on multiple occasions. Let's nip this in the bud, please.

"Don't Buy Into the Hype"

I worked at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bay Area Salaries
    Remote Work Friendly
    You will work with some truly amazing people (mostly below Director level)

Cons

DataStax is really great at keeping up the appearance that their culture is fantastic; most all of the reviews here will reaffirm that perception. However, most of those reviews are from brand-new people who have been at the company less than 1 year. Mostly employees who have been there longer than 6 months begin to realize that it's mostly a facade and they were sold a "vision" instead of a reality. With a company so distributed, most teams are struggling to keep any sense of community or teamwork alive. You just can't compete with the in-office experience when it comes to getting work done and forming a sense of camaraderie.
    They pay INCREDIBLY well, so well that I believe it's a kind of trap to keep people at the company. Combine that with the ability to work remote and people end up staying because they "have a good thing going" instead of being happy with the team, company, or work they are doing. This leads to people doing just enough to get by, but not actually moving the company or their department forward.
    There is very little strategic vision from Management and they seem to just be bumbling through decisions to see what resonates with the market instead of doing their due-diligence and knowing the direction that they are trying to drive the company in.
    People keep leaving. It's easy to miss in a distributed company, but there is A TON of churn within this company - that should tell you all you need to know.

My advice to anyone reading this: think twice before you get lured in by the big salary, remote work and the promise of an amazing culture and company.

"Remote Friendly with Excellent Teammates"

Current Employee - Curriculum Developer in South Jordan, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Curriculum Developer in South Jordan, UT (US)

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with DataStax for almost 6 months and can honestly say this is the best job I have ever had.
    They promote a healthy work-life balance and encourage all employees to strive to be their very best. You really do want the company to succeed. The product sells itself and it is not difficult to be enthused about sharing this knowledge with others.
    Working with a great team of people who all express anxious concern for each other. Even though we are all remote, there are still some great ties and lines of communication as a team. Can only hope I can stay here indefinitely and continue to help build a great company.

Cons

None that I can as of yet discern.

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize that the employees are where the true value of a company lies. The product is great, but keeping valued and smart people around will ensure the company's growth.

5. "Distributed Workforce and Great Product"

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The product will sell itself - soon all companies will realize it can't live without it. Distributed workforce but still feels very connected.

Cons

Not really a Con but I have to put something here. You WILL work hard, probably harder than you ever have, but it will be because you WANT to work hard! There is a ton of pride here in what we are doing!

"Be cautious if joining in sales"

Former Employee - ESM
    Former Employee - ESM

I worked at DataStax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The platform based on Cassandra is good and the company has implemented solid admin processes. HR, Vacation, Commission etc

Cons

Be cautious if joining in a sales role as the ESM/AVP, SVP turnover is eye watering. The product is solid but there is emergent and growing competition across open-source, NoSql and Graph and I'm not sure if the management recognises this.
    Whilst there are significant issues with marketing, lead generation etc the ESM's bear the brunt of the criticism by a sales leadership that is distant from the real world.
    The comm plan is average and the targets very high.
    Very poor hiring decisions have badly affected morale.

Advice to Management

No company can sustain the turnover across the sales team and there are reasons for it, no point having Glint surveys if no action is taken.

"Technical Support Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Windsor, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at DataStax full-time

Pros

Most of us work from home but we collaborate a lot better than when I used to work in offices for other companies. At Datastax, there is an incredible culture of sharing, with a customer focus which is paramount. The great feedback we receive from our customers show that they really value the support we provide and so does our management. We are lucky to be allowed to work independently, which helps building a close relationship with customers and developers alike. No stone is unturned!

Cons

The flexibility we have means that I sometimes work longer hours than I ought to, but it's mostly because I am enjoying what I do. Long may it last.

"Great Engineering Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Tech Lead in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Tech Lead in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- smart coworkers: being a 100% remote workforce means Datastax can be selective: great engineers from all over the world are employed here
    - having grown from a distributed team on an open source project (Cassandra), engineers are valued and given time to do things "the right way"
    - remote work environment with multiple timezones, etc makes for a very flexible schedule, as long as you get your work done!

Cons

- working 100% remote can be isolating for some
    - still a mid-sized startup; though Datastax tries to cater to its employees interests, career opportunities are limited to what's available

Advice to Management

Management at Datastax is caring, positive and thoughtful -- keep doing what you're doing.

"Solutions Engineer"

I have been working at DataStax full-time

Pros

Great Technology. Great Leadership. Great Teams. Great Customers.

Cons

Best place I've ever worked so for me there are no "cons".

"Great place to work as an engineer"

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is easily the best group of engineers I've worked with in my career. It's great to work with talented people who can challenge one another and grow. Good engineering culture with open communication and positive debate.

Remote work: Work for a top-notch Silicon Valley startup from anywhere in the world. Distributed engineering force comprises top talent from everywhere -- not just those who will move near the office.

Cons

Some growing pains as we evolve our high-level product and engineering processes (but also interesting to be part of defining those).

Remote work removes some of the sociality of working with a group in an office. (there are physical offices in several cities)