Element K Reviews

Updated 2 Nov 2017

3.4
Element K President & CEO Chuck Moran (no image)
Chuck Moran
1 Rating
  1. "Great company"

General Manager in Chennai

I worked at Element K

Pros

Great company to work for and good teams across the globe. Extremely collaborative and enabling work culture

Cons

Good company till it got acquired by Skillsoft.

2. "It was a good place to work and a good place to learn new stuff."

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Chennai

I worked at Element K full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked there when the company was undergoing a transition - from a traditional company with traditional systems and processes, to a modern company. That was an exciting environment to learn new things. Very welcoming.

Cons

There was always this feeling at the back of your mind that you were automatically supposed to put work at the top of your priority, even if you were about to die.

3. "Good Company"

Executive

I worked at Element K

Pros

Good Company, good place to work

Cons

Nothing to mention about cons

4. "A dream company"

I worked at Element K for less than a year

Pros

You will feel at home

Cons

Doesn't have a good cafeteria

5. "Great brand lost in the crowd in India"

2.0
    Instructional Designer in Chennai

I worked at Element K

Pros

Learning opportunities Casual and friendly atmosphere Talented people A lot of respect for your work

Cons

Absymmal pay (bad than a start -up KPO) Outdated tools and infrastructure

6. "A company that was once great, and still has a lot of potential despite some retention challenges."

I worked at Element K

Pros

Flexible schedules, relaxed environment & dress code, appreciation for family and work/life balance. The people that work at Element K are friendly, very smart, and demonstrate a great deal of respect for diversity. There was (at least was when I worked there) a corporate shut down every 4th of July week, which gave everyone a chance to relax over the summer. There are internal systems in place for employees to network with each other, form discussion groups, and connect beyond work related tasks.

Cons

Limited career paths, heavy focus on overseas outsourcing, much more attention paid to offshore workers career needs rather than a balanced approach for total company. Depending on the department you work in, you could make a better than average salary or a lower than average salary. No 401k matching (was taken away when I was there, along with gym memberships and incentive plans, but some or all may be back now. Unsure.)

Continue reading
  7. "Element K was the best work-family I've ever known."

5.0

I worked at Element K full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people that I worked with at Element K are incredibly fun, honest, hardworking geniuses. People were creative, working together to offer the best in class online training options to corporate clients. I learned more from the people at Element K that I could have learned in 20 years of collage. The corporate and personal values were unparalleled.

Cons

Element K was located in Rochester, NY where the is never enough good weather. In good times, employees were hired at high wages, and longer term employees that were hired at lower salaries often were not compensated equally to new hires.

Continue reading
  8. "Relaxed environment, but little incentive and iffy management"

I have been working at Element K

Pros

Relaxed dress code - shorts in the summer. Flexible hours - management is very understanding about family and health time off and making up time on another day. Intelligent, friendly people and very little politics. They pay a large percentage of health insurance premiums and offer a very nice plan.

Cons

Little incentive provided in any way - no bonuses, only token recognition at poorly attended staff meetings, few regular raises. Poor middle and upper management. Many inexperienced managers and many managers working outside of their specialty.

Continue reading

"Great people working on some world class e-learning"

5.0
    Content Developer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Element K

Pros

Really smart people working here. Definitely some of the best instructional design and e-learning that I've seen in the industry. Great use of media - video, graphics, 3D, and instructional games. Cool new outputs. Company seems to have won a number of new customers and working on some great new projects.

Cons

Sometimes there are long hours. Some irrational customer demands will drive you crazy. Some managers place unrealistic timelines on projects.

10. "A nice place to work, but watch your head on the ceiling..."

I have been working at Element K

Pros

Excellent benefits, time-off policies, chance to work with wonderful, caring, and bright people.

Cons

No career advancement, no internal training (although emphasis is put on personal growth during performance appraisals - so just do it on your own time and your own dime). There is only so far the company will let you grow. Once you are there, they would rather hire from outside the company and keep your talents in the dead end job.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 33 Reviews