FDM Group Reviews

Updated 9 May 2021

3.4
FDM Group CEO, Founder, and Director Rod Flavell
Rod Flavell
Pros
  • "Gives you a great foot in the door in IT & Blue chip companies(in 102 reviews)

• "If you apply yourself - the experience is a decent - good place to be if your looking at blue-chip companies(in 72 reviews)

Cons
  • "Would recommend being pro-active with Account Managers whilst looking for a placement and after that you won't need to interact with FDM often(in 177 reviews)

• "The strict 2 year contract is the hard part in my opinion(in 105 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"Great Experience"

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great clients, offers great experience.

Cons

Little to no control as to placement.

2. "DGA"

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good and secure feels safe on job gather lot of information

Cons

Work pressure dilama not enough support had too well no definitive

3. "FDM review"

I worked at FDM Group part-time

Pros

Good work culture at the office.

Cons

Lower salary, but great staff.

"Good company to start with"

I worked at FDM Group

Pros

Working with FDM group provides you the opportunity to gain hands on experience of current technologies.

Cons

They will try to insist you to work on technologies they are currently using.

5. COVID-19

"Ex Forces Advanced Programme"

Current Employee - Project Manager/Scrum Master in Glasgow, Scotland, Scotland

I have been working at FDM Group full-time

Pros

I am in my 4th Year with FDM, and the experience so far has been fantastic. The training and mentoring I received was excellent. When you are finished with a placement there are options to upskill in whatever field you want in order to get more experience and to go back out on site better prepared. The Ex-Forces Instructors are superb as expected have helped me along my journey so far with the company. The real bonus for me is because I live in Central Scotland, I do not have to go to client’s sites more than an hour away from my home. The odd exception may occur, I had to travel to England once in my second placement. All expenses however paid for by the client. COVID has shown me that Ex Forces are well thought off in the company and most given great projects to work on within the company when not on client site during the Pandemic. FDM is a great steppingstone for those looking to move onto a Blue-Chip Company in the future. FDM gives you the tools and experience as well as the foot in the door which other companies could not give me. Onsite with clients there is always a current or Ex FDM consultant who can help and mentor you while you are there, and the account managers and Ex forces Instructors are also always there to help. This may not be for everybody, but I have found that you get what you put into the job. I would recommend FDM to anyone looking to make the jump into the IT/Financial/Private or Public sector

Cons

Better base rate.... But the onsite pay more than makes up for it.

Continue reading

"Decent company to join as a fresh grad"

4.0
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Singapore
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many clients are working with FDM, giving you a bridge to join large (most financial) organizations which would otherwise be hard to get into through normal routes. The pay is also decent for a first job and they also train you with some of the skills required on the job. The team at FDM are generally nice and will help you if you speak up, but it really depends on who your account manager is as well.

Cons

As you will mostly be out of FDM office and will be seconded on-site at client companies, this is something you need to know about before joining. Work/Life balance will also depend on which client you join and which team as well, so it may be a little bit of the luck of the draw for you. Also, you would still be competing with others in FDM for a position with the clients, so it's not as though you are guaranteed to get a role as soon as you finish training.

Continue reading

"Great Ex-forces programme that gives personnel fantastic career options in civvy street"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - IT Consultant/Project Manager in Sunderland, North East England, England, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great training environment with a really supportive team whom are all Ex-forces themselves, so can relate to wants, needs and fears when looking to start a civilian career. FDM looks at the soft skills that everyone learns as part of their military career, helping Ex-Forces members to adapt them for use in the civilian workplace. FDM provide further agile training environments to give real on-the-job experience whilst waiting for placement into the vast array of on-site clients. The Ex-Forces team are supportive and willing to help when client-side, which is of reassurance when consultants may not be used to civilian ways of working. Not everyone will get their dream job, but they will get tons of experience working in a civilian environment, whether it be in the public or private sector.

Cons

The FDM business model may not fit everyone, but generally you get out what you put in. Greater information could be given about job roles before going client-side so there are fewer surprises. Lack of equipment for newly trained employees whilst waiting to be placed for the first time (due to working remotely).

"DONT COME"

1.0
    Current Employee - Software Consultant in London, England, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Joining FDM is like playing Russian Roulette with your career. It's why the reviews are so mixed. The lucky ones get good placements that propel them into the career they actually want while the not so lucky ones get bad placements . Bad placements= bosses who say the job is one thing but turns out to be an entirely different thing, Training is below normal standards but I don't have a problem with that because if you get a good placement then you'll be able to learn on the job and thats fine.

Cons

So I personally didn't get the job I wanted. Wasn't super fussy, joined the software developer role in hopes of becoming a full stack developer but ended up with a server maintenance role instead. If you think about it , at the end of 2 years when all your peers have had 2 years exp in relevant skills like java or python, you are stuck with whatever you've learnt during your own placement which might not be aligned with what you actually want to do in the future, Account managers don't care about you , they just want you to be placed so they can get bigger cheques . When you request to leave your placement , they GASLIGHT you and say you shd be glad you even have a job , EVEN WHEN ITS A REALLY BAD JOB WITH NO GROWTH PROSPECTS IN THE FUTURE OR IN THE FIELD YOU ARE INTERESTED IN

9. COVID-19

"Great company that valued its people"

Current Employee - FDM Consultant in Singapore

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

well, the salary is fixed for 2 years and to say that FDM is exploitative (saw this comment in one of the reviews), is quite ridiculous. No company or model will work for everyone but I can justify that during covid, I was paid my allowance, was not placed for months but was not made redundant by them. They kept me employed during a difficult time and continued paying me, does this sound like an exploitative model to anyone?

Cons

If you have a comsci or IS degree and know clearly what you want to do, you probably wont want to join because you could easily dive into the roles of your dreams without FDM but for graduates like me with STEM but not IT background, I NEED FDM TO HELP ME BUILD MY CAREER IN IT.

Continue reading
  10. "excellent internship opportunity"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Glasgow, Scotland, Scotland

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

2 year fixed contract as an intern if you successfully finish their training and secure a placement with one of their clients

Cons

not many cons - salary not high, but this is an intern role, technically you are getting paid while in training

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,755 Reviews