Family Video Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Family Video Reviews

Updated Sep 21, 2019

Found 734 reviews

2.9
Family Video CEO Keith Hoogland  (no image)
Keith Hoogland
Pros
Cons
  • "No breaks, have to eat at front desk(in 136 reviews)

• "Upper management is stretched so thin you have little support(in 61 reviews)

1. "They Really Don't Want to Pay You"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Family Video part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun for movie lovers, some customers are amazing, free rentals and discounts on some items. Commission.

Cons

They pay you like they loathe you. You can get raises, but you gotta twist arms. Upper Management feels erratic and makes decisions that really mess with the people in the field.

Advice to Management

Calm down. Pay your employees. Stop gutting stores or closing stores in states with high minimum wages: we're not stupid. The natural decay of movie stores has caused management to cut corners in all sorts of areas. They aren't gonna go out of business soon, but expect changes.

Family Video2019-09-21
  2. "Just Ok"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Family Video part-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy job, little to no management over sight

Cons

Terrible hours (nights, weekends, every holiday), bad pay compared to other retail jobs

Advice to Management

Pay your people what they're worth or they will leave.

Family Video2019-09-18
  3. "Family Video Review"

Current Employee - Online Marketing Manager

I have been working at Family Video full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice employees to work with.

Cons

A lot of hours.

Family Video2019-08-31
  4. "Good job in general but massive improvement needed"

Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at Family Video full-time for less than a year

Pros

I started there as full time and worked my way to part time because I was in college and they were pretty good about flexibility but I had a really cool manager in general. It always kept me busy and I can put a bunch of stuff on my resume because of all the things they had me do but that might turn some people off. I pretty much always liked the people I worked with. We originally made a group chat and... worked through that if anybody had questions or needed help, until the new manager came around. I strongly suggest you suggest this option if you end up working there.

Cons

Number 1: YOU ARE ALONE. If your store is small then chances are you'll work by yourself for most shifts (except weekend nights) this means if there's a customer in the store, you're either going to want to book it to the bathroom as fast as possible or hold it out (That is if you have a bathroom, ours was out for a good while and you had to book it all the way to Subway). Same with eating, you can't get peace, I... swear it was like every time I just got around to eating "I'm ready to check-out." They do have flexibility but with that comes low hours, I got maybe 14 a week, when I left a new manager just came in because the other one got a better job and he took ALL the hours, if you're looking for 40 hours full-time, this is not the place for you. A lot of this stuff was with my store specifically but the heat was also out for the winter and we froze the whole shift. They had the excuse that they had to replace the whole furnace system and blah blah months go by and still nothing, I decide to email the company anonymously with a complaint about it. Not long after the regional manager wants to "talk" to the person who sent him an email. I didn't say anything, I made it anonymous for a reason so he assures us that it's getting fixed and it was some problem with the property owners who live in some other country and a bunch of bs. My store wasn't in the best area because people it was in a shopping center (not FMV's fault) and people would shoot heroin across the way. Not to mention the "dropbox" or where people drop movies always smelling of weed and the bizarre stuff that people decide to do with movies. (ex. someone ran one over, someone left their deodorant stick in it, a condom in a movie case (yes those happened) etc.) The location I worked at is now closed permanently.

Advice to Management

Treat both your customers and employees with respect, really a lot of the problems can be fixed with even just two workers at a time. Stop being so sale focused, I know every single retail store is like that and it bothers the crap out of me but even for commission it's not worth it. Also the 9.95 sign for "half off for a month" rings up as 9.99 in the system. And make your appointments, I know sometimes it can't be... helped but before I started I had to wait for the district manager to visit so they could interview me and they told me what day and everything and she never showed up, she eventually took so long that she said to just hire me because everyone was either quitting or was leaving for school. She's no longer around but I imagine she might not be the only one.

Family Video2019-08-09
  5. "Forced"

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Warren, MI

I worked at Family Video part-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy job if you like movies its quite fun

Cons

No benefits horrible pay understaffed

Advice to Management

Go digital

Family Video2019-08-04
  6. "Good Overall"

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Family Video full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved all of the employees I encountered. Family Video does a great job hiring the best. The training was fantastic. I felt completely confident taking a store once I had completed it. There is a great support system throughout the entire process.

Cons

It is a lot of work. Most weeks I was working near 50 hours and as you are salaried at a lower amount, that is a negative. As a manager, you set the schedule but you still work open and close shifts and weekends. This is not ideal if you have a family in my opinion. Pay is low but you can earn bonuses many ways if you put in the effort!

Advice to Management

You guys are doing great!

Family Video2019-07-26
  7. "Alright for Students"

Current Employee - Clerk in Dixon, IL

I have been working at Family Video part-time for more than a year

Pros

Accepting with flexible hours based on other commitments

Cons

Low pay, starts at $8.50, then $8.65 after you pass your 30 day evaluation.

Advice to Management

Give your employees a raise! After 2 and a half years, I haven't had a raise since my 30 day evaluation.

Family Video2019-07-18
  8. "Very good overall"

Current Employee - ASM

I have been working at Family Video part-time for less than a year

Pros

Always able to make your own choices, open door communication with upper management, helpful managers from other stores

Cons

"Always hiring" is a bit misleading

Family Video2019-07-16
  9. "Good summer job experience"

Former Employee - Clerk

I worked at Family Video part-time

Pros

You get to watch movies! Relatively slow, not too many responsibilities that you are overwhelmed.

Cons

Not great pay, commission helps but varies.

Family Video2019-07-07
  10. "Enjoyable but disappointing"

Former Employee - J Assistant Manager in Belleville, IL

I worked at Family Video full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Love for the movies, ownership and investment in running your own business, great customers, rapport amongst staff.

Cons

Poor hours, working all holidays, poor employee benefits, commission / sales leveraged hours on the schedule, blindsiding employees with pay decreases, demotions, or dismissals is the norm.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff members, your lifeblood, like they matter.

Family Video2019-07-13